Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tourists are Killing the Planet

Re: Tourists are Killing the Planet

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 11 Jun 2018, 15:14:42

Not sure which thread to put this in, but since tourists often use cars...

rather counter-intuitively:

traffic signals favour cars over pedestrians

"The consequences of making it easier to drive and harder to walk are consistent with the rise of vehicle-dominated cities"

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-traffic-f ... urage.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 15:33:48

‘Green’ fossil fuels to be allowed under latest weakening of UN aviation CO2 scheme

https://www.transportenvironment.org/ne ... co2-scheme

A UN scheme being set up to tackle the climate impact of flying will credit airlines that use fossil fuels that have been declared to be ‘green’. The extraordinary concession was pushed through by Saudi Arabia, with the backing of the United States, and means that, for example, airlines burning kerosene could be rewarded with reduced obligations to buy carbon offsets simply because the refinery producing the oil was running on renewable electricity.

Considering the imminent danger of climate change there's only one way to deal with this ongoing nonsense and that's grounding all unnecessary flights. Like now.

(Thanks to sleepy at asif for link and text)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 19:02:30

Why not just put all the pilots in a concentration camp? That way you won't have to worry about the planes flying.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 21:34:44

Cog wrote:Why not just put all the pilots in a concentration camp? That way you won't have to worry about the planes flying.

And then make candles out of them?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 08:58:29

How about low carbon vacations? Here's one that is here in Maine. You can take the train to Brunswick and take a bus to Rockland and start most of these:https://sailmainecoast.com
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 09:21:54

Prices aren't too bad. If you go in June for a 3 day trip it's only $645. That's not much more than you'd pay for a hotel room and food!

https://schoonerheritage.com/schedule.h ... ise-Search
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 10:06:49

Revi wrote:How about low carbon vacations?

Beyond local trips, nobody outside of the independently wealthy or retirees have the free time to travel that slowly.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 08:42:06

asg70 wrote:
Revi wrote:How about low carbon vacations?

Beyond local trips, nobody outside of the independently wealthy or retirees have the free time to travel that slowly.

Why not? Where are they going? Some of these trips are 3 days. I am pretty sure that most people take vacations that are longer than that and drive a fossil fuel vehicle to get there. During the actual trip the only fossil fuel there would be would be the stove in the galley. Meanwhile the wind pushes the ship. I have friends who have taken these trips. They aren't independently wealthy nor are they retired. One friend is a nurse and she takes trips on the Actress. Here's info on her:

https://www.sailactress.com
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 09:44:18

Our winter home. I don’t have a good photo of her in the water.

0597A788-3584-447E-A8F5-7723F88F6147.jpeg

Truth is we spent a lot of diesel getting her to the Carribean, trade winds don’t don’t encourage sailing that way. But now that we are here. Things should be better.

We did some nice sailing in our small boat this summer. It’s difficult to dial on a schedule, when you can chose your departure and return, well then it’s wonderful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 12:47:50

She's a beaut!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Revi » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 13:14:28

Gorgeous boat Newfie! I sail around in a Cape Dory Typhoon. It's a great boat for sailing for an hour or two, which is all I have right now. Maybe some time in the future I'll look for something bigger. One thing is for sure, it doesn't create much CO2. We used a quart of oil all summer, which works out to about 1160 miles per gallon! We only created about 5 lbs of co2 sailing all summer!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 14:12:27

That funny, I came to sailing late, thought I’d get a Typhoon and see what it was all about. Got a 33’ Steel cutter instead! Some guys just carried away ya know. 8O 8O
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 22:02:03

That funny, I came to sailing late, thought I’d get a Typhoon and see what it was all about. Got a 33’ Steel cutter instead! Some guys just carried away ya know.

My sailing has been selectively on sloops and ketches, never on a cutter. It's difficult to tell from your picture as the stays from the adjacent boat overlap but from what I see your roller fullering jib is in the normal jib position whereas the missen is roller furled off the mast opposite the mainsail rather than on a separate stay (which is the case with the cutters I have seen mostly). Interesting design, I haven't seen it before but definitely makes a lot of sense to me, especially if everything is powered. Is there an advantage to having the missen on the mast opposite the mainsail?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 30 Aug 2018, 06:52:47

Yes, the boat in the background is confusing the picture.

44’lod, 49’ with sprit. Big sail plan because she is heavy.
Genoa is roller furled on top of sprit
Staysail is hank on, no roller furling, it’s a big staysail on its own self racking book
Then the main.
Nothing powered, except by me. 8O

Pretty traditional rig.

Here is an older photo when she was still white, in St Pierre and Miquelon.

7CD1D050-6526-49D8-942D-E2CF5E1F2DB2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 30 Aug 2018, 07:14:27

Just to add, boat prices are falling. Although we have 2 boats, their combined purchase price is less than a very modest house in most markets.

Boat bulls, especially well built glass hulls, last a long, long time. And new boats (many not well constructed) are being added to the market all the time. So the market is depressed because of a glut of product.

As an alternative to a house a boat can make a lot of sense. It can also not depending upon where you live and work, local regulations, taxes, and your tolerance for the life style. Surely not for all.

But it can be a relatively low carbon and inexpensive way to live. Especially short term if you expect to move as you can take your house with you.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Tue 20 Nov 2018, 11:45:54

In October we took a great short tour from Portland. They have 3 schooners lined up and you can hop on them for a great tour around the bay! Fun low carbon transportation, and accessible by bus! There are other islands and places you can go to from the Maine State Pier as well. A trip to Portland on the train with outings like these could be the ideal low carbon vacation!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 20 Nov 2018, 14:42:54

Actually probably not. Rail transport has a pretty heavy carbon footprint. It MAY be Ok when it is heavily housed in an urban situation. Same with busses, run full at rush hour they make sense. But those lightly used late night and week end runs? Often greener to drive, especially if you have 4 or more folks together.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 21 Nov 2018, 13:07:57

I got a trip to Paris, France. Very good airfare right now for the early spring. I will contribute to killing the planet.

I have no bucket list. I mostly just want to hang out somewhere is all. My wife, though, is afflicted with some sort of ADHD, and has the need to travel much more than I do.

Any suggestions on what to do? Been there before, but I just want to chill this time around.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 21 Nov 2018, 14:09:33

jedrider wrote:I got a trip to Paris, France. Very good airfare right now for the early spring. I will contribute to killing the planet.

I have no bucket list. I mostly just want to hang out somewhere is all. My wife, though, is afflicted with some sort of ADHD, and has the need to travel much more than I do.

Any suggestions on what to do? Been there before, but I just want to chill this time around.

Being in the industry I have a good recommendation. Where ever you go limit yourself to a minimum of only 2 sites. Everyday you change from one site to another while travelling is a day lost in transit. If you have say a 2 week holiday in France spend 4-5 days in Paris and then choose a small town in the Provence or wher eever and book an Air BnB and stay in the small town for 5-6 days. That means only one transit day lost during your whole trip to France. And you get to see rural agrarian life along with urban Paris. And in 5 days you get to know the little neighborhood kitchens where everybody eats family style.. Arles, Avignon, smaller the better. Rent bicycles.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 21 Nov 2018, 15:35:07

Good advice, Ibon.

I hope you know, Newf, that we are all wildly jealous of your nautical lifestyle!

For human transport, you are right--rail is not the most efficient, even well filled. The most efficient ff-powered land transport for people that I have heard of is a well-packed mega-bus (double decker).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate