Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Mass Migration out of CA Imminent

Re: Mass Migration out of CA Imminent

Unread postby Synapsid » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 15:00:58

Californians all:

Texas! That's the place to go. No better place for you. You don't want to go to the Pacific NW, oh no--everything's grey, the sky is grey, the people are grey, the food is grey; the place is a cultural desert. Surly inhabitants. Laptops.

Texas! That's the place! Imagine a whole state full of people like ROCKMAN...err...

(Ahem)

Texas!

If you're leaving the Bay Area, you'll feel right at home in Austin, especially if you like bats.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 16 May 2018, 15:36:20

About time to bump this thread, if nothing else, to see if we can smoke pstarr out of the (red-)woodwork :-D

https://www.skepticalscience.com/califo ... op-it.html

California, battered by global warming’s weather whiplash...

In 1988 – the same year Nasa’s James Hansen warned Congress about the threats posed by human-caused global warming – water expert Peter Gleick wrote about the wet and dry extremes that it would create for California:

California will get the worst of all possible worlds – more flooding in the winter, less available water in the summer.

Three decades later, California has been ravaged by just this sort of weather whiplash. The state experienced its worst drought in over a millennium from 2012 to 2016, followed immediately by its wettest year on record in 2017. The consequences have been similarly extreme, including hellish record wildfires, narrowly-avoided catastrophic flooding at Oroville Dam, and deadly mudslides.

A study published last month in Nature Climate Change found that these wet and dry extremes will only worsen in California as temperatures continue to rise. As lead author Daniel Swain wrote:

most of California will likely experience a 100 – 200% increase in the frequency of very wet November-March “rainy seasons” … California will likely experience an increase of anywhere from 50% to 150% (highest in the south) in the frequency of very dry November-March periods … Since California is so dependent on precipitation during its relatively brief winter rainy season, even a single dry winter can quickly lead to adverse drought impacts upon agriculture and the environment.

California, preaching on the burning shore
California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

My time coming, any day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaN3F6CBCZw
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 16 May 2018, 15:46:23

Hey, it worked! :-D :-D :-D

And singing the other lyrics, too!!

Don't worry about me, nah nah nah, don't worry about me, no
And I'm in no hurry, nah nah nah, I know where to go.

:) :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 16 May 2018, 15:49:02

Pigeon soup tonight??
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 16 May 2018, 16:14:54

:-D

One of my fave's!

But this may fit the meal a bit better, though not a good method of dispatching something you plan to eat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 18 May 2018, 10:40:17

I prefer contemporary orchestral music myself.

MUSIC
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 18 May 2018, 12:56:45

The sad truth is that California's economy is more manic than ever. The politics are just as messed up as ever, in fact they get worse all the time, since the place has been run by nothing but Democrats for decades. (Which of course does not stop them from blaming the R's for everything, even though every elected and most appointed office holders are D's.)

The influx of people continues, fron S of the border and from the other 49 states. Yesterday was kind of a new low, here in the Bay Area we had two major homeless encampments on fire at once. Nothing like drunken and stoned bums tending campfires for some excitement.

The neighbor down the street sold his home, slightly larger than mine, for $1.2M. Starting salaries for graduate, English-speaking engineers are $100K-$200K, depending upon your degree.

I'd LOVE to migrate away, I'm getting tired of waiting for the wife to quit working. I suppose I could just start packing and see what happens.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 18 May 2018, 14:24:23

My Father's family had their Oklahoma farm dry up and blow away in the Dust Bowl. They ended up living in an old black Ford sedan, following the harvests, IOW "Okies". When WW2 broke out they were in the Santa Clara Valley picking stone fruits. They got better jobs up in the North Bay, both of them working as supervisors on welding crews building Victory Ships. They both knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about welding, but the only qualification needed was a white skin, to be in charge of an entirely black welding crew.

My Grandfather got an even better job on the railroads that move materials in the shipyards. After the war, he was in the RR Worker's Union, and found a RR job in Illinois, which is where I was born.

The kid in your photo is about the right size and age to be my Father in the 1930's. If it was fruit trees instead of cotton, it could be him.

I no longer can stand California, to tell the truth. But the wife followed me here and supported me in my career, and I can do no less. But I don't have to like it, and I don't.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Wed 23 May 2018, 13:27:10

My parents were early adopters of moving out of California and back East. 2 1/2 yrs out there was enough. And we left in 1983. My parents couldn't stand the issues out there.

And how it has gone downhill since...
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 08:39:50

Looks like it's time to bump this thread once again:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... erry-brown

'Apocalyptic threat': dire climate report raises fears for California's future

Statewide assessment, which comes amid summer of extreme wildfires, warns of deadly cost if climate change is not stopped

California’s summer of deadly wildfires and dangerous heatwaves will soon be the new normal if nothing is done to stop climate change, a report released on Monday warns.

City heatwaves could lead to two to three times as many deaths by 2050, the report says. By 2100, without a reduction in emissions, the state could see a 77% increase in the average area burned by wildfires. The report also warns of erosion of up to 67% of its famous coastline, up to an 8.8F rise in average maximum temperatures, and billions of dollars in damages.

“These findings are profoundly serious and will continue to guide us as we confront the apocalyptic threat of irreversible climate change,” said the state’s governor, Jerry Brown, in a tweet about the report, the fourth statewide climate change assessment released since 2006.

Rising temperatures could lead to up to 11,300 additional deaths in 2050, the report says, and the overall number of days marked by extreme heat will “increase exponentially in many areas”.

Read the report at http://www.climateassessment.ca.gov/sta ... ummary.pdf
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 10:39:27

Oddly enough, it's 58 degrees in San Jose this fine morning, with enough humidity that it feels sticky. I've had the house open all nite, cold soaking the stucco and fiber-cement exterior and the gypsum wallboard inside, to minimize A/C power demands. In fact the peak temperatures in the afternoon have been in the upper 70's and I've never turned on the A/C for 5+ days running. But it does demand that I sit under a blanket in the mornings.

The afternoons are still clear after the marine layer burns through. At which time we have so much solar and wind online that the electric grid operators struggle to keep the grid stable.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 28 Aug 2018, 13:50:07

Mark Twain said "The coldest Winter I ever spent, was Summer in San Francisco."

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 01:42:13

pstarr wrote:It's even worse here in Humboldt Bay :shock: 60 degrees, relative humidity is a death-defying 69%

BTW these fires? Nothing to do with AGW. It's about poor forest management.

Of course. Suddenly in 2018, it's about poor forest management. Nothing to do with record heat or changing climate. And we know this because pstarr thinks so. :roll:

And it just so happens that California, Canada, and Europe are suddenly reaping the problems of poor forest management.

It seems that scientists would tend to differ.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/s ... 4Yu1M5KhNA

https://www.newyorker.com/science/eleme ... -wildfires

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi ... e-change-/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 72e549dd64

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 061241002/

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2308 ... carbon-co2

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... orest.html

Maybe you should stick to making up random nonsense about economics.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 29 Aug 2018, 07:08:28

"...California, Canada, and Europe are suddenly reaping the problems of poor forest management. "

And Siberia...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate