Arctic Sea Ice 2018

Re: Arctic Sea Ice 2018

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 18:25:04

chilyb wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
dissident wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:What apology?
http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/WIS56S ... 987747.pdf
Your not going to get to Borrow or anywhere else for a while.
Edit to ad a link to a wider view.
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/imagery/a ... 223600.gif

All your posts on the subject of climate change are nothing but nitpicking BS. You are clearly not even qualified to discuss this subject.

Well feel free to only discuss things with people that agree with you totally. If you all stand in a circle your can wear your arms out patting each other on the back.

Hi vtsnowedin,

I don't really get your point. What does getting to Utqiaġvik (formerly Barrow) have to do with the amount of current sea ice in the Bering Sea / Strait? I think the people who follow this thread will be reasonably aware that there is still a significant amount of sea ice in the Beaufort Sea.

But at least we can agree that vox_mundi is not a liar, despite your claim that he appears to be obscuring the truth somehow.

I clearly stated that Vox was not lying but pointed out that he (in my opinion) was overstating the facts. As the sun climbs higher his position will gain strength and I acknowledge that but many would have you believe that the whole arctic will be blue water sailing by Memorial day and that is just not the case.
The realities of climate change are severe enough that we don't need any exaggerations about the extent of the changes or the consequences of those changes by chicken little's.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 21:22:31

I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby chilyb » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 22:02:16

Dear vtsnowedin,

I clearly stated that Vox was not lying but pointed out that he (in my opinion) was overstating the facts. As the sun climbs higher his position will gain strength and I acknowledge that but many would have you believe that the whole arctic will be blue water sailing by Memorial day and that is just not the case.
The realities of climate change are severe enough that we don't need any exaggerations about the extent of the changes or the consequences of those changes by chicken little's.

I understand now. I was not aware that vox_mundi has an agenda up his sleeve. I also agree that blue water sailing to the North Pole by Memorial Day is a ridiculous notion - if that is what vox_mundi was suggesting with his comment about the amount of sea ice currently found in the Bering Strait. I try to look at the data and draw my own conclusions. Thank you.
chilyb
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 24 Apr 2018, 22:23:07

vt wrote: "many would have you believe that the whole arctic will be blue water sailing by Memorial day "

Wait, what?

Who has said this? Where are these 'many'? Maybe I haven't followed the thread as closely as I should have and missed something. Please link to whoever is making these claims, just to help us all follow the conversation. Thanks. :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby M_B_S » Fri 04 May 2018, 01:38:17

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... 969626599f

In the middle of February, one-third of the ice covering the Bering Sea off Alaska’s West Coast vanished within a week when an enormous pulse of heat swept over the Arctic. Scientists were stunned.

This rapid meltdown precipitated a record-shattering decline in Bering Sea ice through the winter and into spring, which has threatened the very way of life in Alaska’s coastal villages — reliant on the ice cover for transportation and hunting.

February and March ice levels were as low as far back as scientists can reconstruct, dating back more than 160 years.
q.e.d.
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 04 May 2018, 15:09:52

The image I linked above updates automatically as the web site it feeds from updates usually one day behind the calendar. Today it is showing May 3, 2018 with the ice already receding from the northwest corner of the Alaskan Arctic coastline. I don't have any images handy to compare to, but that strikes me as extraordinarily early in the season for this event.

Here is a different image showing the entire Arctic basin,
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate