Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Improving Peak Oil Credibility

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Improving Peak Oil Credibility

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 04 Apr 2018, 15:14:07

SL, I have a personal history in the area, I married a native Nantucket'r in 1975, after being stationed on Nantucket Island while serving in the USCG. The island was then served by several large diesel generators located downtown near the harbor, and a half dozen above ground tanks that contained "bunker fuel", a viscuous substance that had to be heated before it could be injected into the diesel cylinders, as it is on large marine diesel engines.

The relatively small size Nantucket power plant meant that power was costly. There was also an acute safety issue, the power plant was surrounded by frame structures clad in cedar shingles, the mandated "historic architectural style". They would have burned like kindling, in fact fully a third of the town of Nantucket did burn in the mid-19th century whaling era, because they were storing wooden casks of whale oil in warehouses that were located in the same area as the power plant tank farm.

Nowadays, there is an underwater power feed from the mainland. Power is still relatively costly, averaging twice what it costs in most of the USA. Most of the mainland power comes from coal burned in classic high pressure steam turbine type power plants. These were until recently scheduled for retirement as part of Obama's "Clean Power Plan".

Renewables are NOT becoming major players in New England. In fact even though Nantucket is 35 miles offshore, and has near ideal prevailing wind conditions which caused NOAA to add it to the "Top Ten Wind Power Sites" list, the people don't want wind farms. Most of the classic high power steam turbines will be replaced by more efficient "combined cycle" power plants, still fueled by coal, but with stack scrubbing that will turn air pollution into toxic "fly ash".

I know this because I lost $7500 I unwisely invested in the Cape Wind offshore wind farm back in 2007 when Obama touted it as a "shovel ready" green energy project he would "fast track" as soon as in office. He said this during his first presidential campaign, and I believed him. Cape Wind would have occupied totally unused space on the Nantucket shoals and would have been only barely visible from either the island or the mainland:
https://www.capewind.org/ (the link appears dead today, before that was not updated for 2+ years)

The problem was "NIMBY". The view of the offshore wind turbines would have been:
...however, note the Cape Cod town called "Hyannis" on the map above. That is the location of the "family compound" of the powerfull Kennedy/Shriver clan, who refer to it as their "cottage", although it is about 11,000 square feet in three or more large structures. (Look for one of their finer moments when the movie "Chappaquiddic" premieres Friday this week.)

THEY didn't want to look at wind turbines offshore. So they formed a powerfull political alliance with the arch-conservative Republican "Koch Brothers", the fossil fuel magnates who own the large majority of coal contracts for the 80-odd New England area coal plants. Strange bedfellows, to say the least - but this alliance stopped the Cape Wind project dead in it's tracks via lawsuits. My $7500 is gone, which is why I remember this whole sorry story.

Note that the primary benefit of Cape Wind would have been the saving of an estimated 1200 people annually, who die from the asthma, emphysema, and other ailments caused by the coal effluents. That small area on the densely populated East Coast accounts for fully 10% of the 12,000 power plant fatalities that the USA experiences each year. Plus about twice that many who experience respiratory diseases but are only sickened and not killed.

But hey, those approximately 13,200 people that have died since 2007 did so for a reason, so that the Massachusetts royal family did not have to endure the "horror" of the above view of wind turbines on the horizon. But it does positively frost my butt with rage when the Democrats try to paint themselves Green to win an election.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 04 Apr 2018, 17:07:11

StarvingLion wrote:TOTAL COLLAPSE UPDATE:

America cannot keep the lights on.

Well, admittedly the lights did go out at the local high school yesterday. But then they were back on again in an hour. So no bankruptcy there, if the people using the power hadn't paid the bill, you know the utility would have just left them in the dark as a lesson!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:51:23

Total Collapse is Imminent:

EOG: Down 4% today
PXD: Down 3% today

The M in McDonalds will soon stand for Mouse burgers.

Its amusing how the collapse was not long ago set at year 2100. Then it became 2050. Then 2030. Now its at 2025 and still wavering.

Lets face it, a miracle will be making it till 2020. The Disaster Zone called The Permian will soon implode.

Forget about doomers. They are telling you right in your face they can't keep the lights on past 2024. They call it Load Shedding. You're the Load and about to be shedded.

https://www.iso-ne.com/static-assets/do ... alysis.pdf
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 06 Apr 2018, 14:06:41

coffeeguyzz better chew out the Fuzzy Heads because...

CNX Resources down 5% today.

Runaway deficits is not legitimate demand.

Shale Gas is ridiculously expensive.

Shale Oil is not going to grow.

Therefore, the gas is not affordable.

Load shedding cannot be prevented.

Peak oil, lights are going off.

So much for RE bubble.

Dollar worthless.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 06 Apr 2018, 17:55:54

SL, you are simply incoherent. You need to use complete sentances with appropriate puctuation and explain what you are trying to communicate more completely.

We are willing and anxious to communicate with you. You must however touch all the bases, not just dribble crumbs of information in your wake.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 06 Apr 2018, 18:06:30

Even though SL, is tad too flashy and sensationalistic, the substance of what he is saying is quite cogent, realistic and provocative.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 06 Apr 2018, 19:15:37

onlooker wrote:Even though SL, is tad too flashy and sensationalistic, the substance of what he is saying is quite cogent, realistic and provocative.

How can you tell? CNX, EOG,PXO, all undefined so the substance of what he is saying is anybodies guess.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sat 07 Apr 2018, 02:17:02

"Shale gas is ridiculously expensive".

Hmmmm ... lemme see, lemme see.

(Spends 5 minutes checking).

Today's Henry Hub - $2.70/ mmbtu. That's a 2 and point 70 (cents) for 1 million British thermal units.

Dominion South averaged $2.25 for February and is dropping to $2.15 in May.
Agua Dulce hub is on track to be cheapest US gas transfer point due to onslaught of associated gas coming from the Permian.
2018 has average of $1.76/mmbtu and 2019 dropping to $1.56. (Sorry, Rockman).

I'll leave it to the site's intrepid readers to put those numbers in context, but - hint - should one describe these as ridiculously expensive ... well ... mkay.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 07 Apr 2018, 10:42:59

Coffee, I think what Starve is referring too, is the extraordinary amount of lending needed to prop up Shale gas & oil. Very expensive in that sense
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 07 Apr 2018, 17:12:12

That was my whole point, he needs to use more words and compose with more care. If you are uncertain what he is saying, it's not clever at all, it's stupid.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion