Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Iraq Thread

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Iraq returns as world’s fastest growing oil exporter

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 01 Nov 2016, 08:15:39

Pops wrote:an increase of 100kbopd over 26 years doesn't impress me much, LOL

In comparison things have not changed a whole lot in the last two years either, despite the theory that every OPEC members is pumping as fast as they can to make as much as they can at low oil prices. Twelve months ago they made it to almost 3 MM/bbl/d but were not able to sustain it.

Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turns Out, the US Does Have That Iraqi Oil

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 11:16:24

Before America's Twitter-loving president made it to the Oval Office, a recurring theme was that the U.S. should have gotten hold of Iraq's oil after toppling Saddam Hussein. There's this: We should have gotten more of the oil in Syria, and we should have gotten more of the oil in Iraq. Dumb leaders. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 16, 2012 And this: I still canât believe we left Iraq without the oil. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 23, 2013 And don't forget this: We should have taken the oil in Iraq, and now our mortal enemies have got it, and with no opposition. Really dumb U.S. pols! I'm so angry! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 4, 2014 Well here's the thing. America has Iraqi oil. And the loser in all this turns out to be Donald Trump's favorite Mideast nation. OK, U.S. refiners are buying the stuff,

Turns Out, the US Does Have That Iraqi Oil
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Turns Out, the US Does Have That Iraqi Oil

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 29 Oct 2017, 12:28:07

This is a dumb topic. Don’t you know what happened in 2009 with the Iraqi oil leases?

When Iraq put its oilfields up for lease in 2009 the US wasn’t awarded a single concession. Iraq awarded all the concessions to Russia, France etc. Russia alone got concessions equivalent to ca 10% of total Iraq oil

That’s a historical fact

nyt us closed out

There’s a world of difference between buying oil on the open market and having leases and concessions that allow you to partner in the oil production

Get it now?

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Iraq Wants Control Of Kurdish Region’s Oil

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 15:09:55

Iraq wants the Kurdistan region to stop independent crude exports and to hand over sales operations to the Iraqi state-oil marketer SOMO, the company’s director said on Thursday. Iraq is talking to Turkey to allow SOMO to sell the Kurdish crude that arrives by pipeline in Ceyhan, the Turkish terminal on the Mediterranean, acting SOMO director general Alaa al-Yasiri told reporters in Baghdad. About 530,000 barrels per day (bpd) used to arrive in Ceyhan via the pipeline until mid-October, of which about half came from the Kurdistan Regional Government’s oilfields and the rest from Kirkuk, a disputed province claimed by both the Kurdish region and Iraqi authorities in Baghdad. Output from Kirkuk fell in mid-October, when Iraqi forces took back control of the northern region’s oilfields from Kurdish fighters who had been there since 2014. Kurdish Peshmerga forces deployed in Kirkuk in 2014, when

Iraq Wants Control Of Kurdish Region’s Oil
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Mysterious militants raise new fears of insurgency

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 13:49:53

A new armed group has appeared in northern Iraq, causing locals to fear that IS is regrouping and re-branding for guerrilla warfare. Iraqi soldiers gather near their vehicles as smoke rises from oil wells in the Hamrin field east of the city of Tikrit in Salahaddin province, March 4, 2015. (MAHMOUD RAOUF/Reuters) By Araz Mohammed, Amir Ali, Rawaz Tahir, Mohammed Hussein, Samya Kullab and Ben Van Heuvelen of Iraq Oil Report Published Thursday, December 14th, 2017 QORI CHAI - A mysterious armed group has emerged in remote areas of Iraq's disputed territories, giving rise to anxieties that a new era of Islamic State-inspired insurgency is in the making. Local leaders and Iraqi intelligence and security officials claim they have identified some members of the new group as former residents of nearby towns, who are known to have been members of the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS)

Mysterious militants raise new fears of insurgency

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Mysterious militants raise new fears of insurgency

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 17 Dec 2017, 22:22:20

But of course. Their State failed. They weren't all killed or jailed or converted. The region will be a hotbed of Salafis terrorists for a long time.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Iraq’s Toxic Conflict

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 00:11:26

In Iraq, thirty years of armed conflict has killed hundreds of thousands of people, wounded countless more, displaced millions and laid cities and towns to waste. Amongst all of this death and destruction, there is an often-overlooked victim whose harm has far reaching consequences: The environment. Whilst Iraq’s environment has suffered from degradation due to conflict for decades, in recent years it has been exacerbated due to the so-called Islamic State (ISIS). “Wherever ISIS has been there has been huge environmental destruction and with that have come potentially major health threats to the public,” says Wim Zwijnenburg, a lead researcher at the dutch not-for profit, PAX. Over the past two years, PAX has used public satellite images, social media and first-hand field research to track the environmental damage and the subsequent risk to public health in the northern parts of Iraq. The findings are outlined

Iraq’s Toxic Conflict

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

The Energy Giant Taking Over Kurdistan

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 08:17:39

After the steady buildup of a burgeoning strategic partnership between the Russian national oil company and Kurdistan’s Regional Government (KRG), the year 2018 threw cold water on the ambitious plans of the two sides. Having signed an oil supply contract in February 2017 and an oil and gas infrastructure ownership takeover deal in September, Rosneft seemed to become Kurdistan’s key partner in marketing its hydrocarbon resources. However, after the failed independence referendum in late September, Baghdad’s recapturing of the Kirkuk oil hub and its successful drive to stamp out any possibility of a Kurdish secession, bad news started to pile up for the Rosneft-KRG axis. Three major issues need resolving – Rosneft’s five exploration concessions in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, the restarting of full-scale oil exports via Kurdish territory and that of Rosneft’s massive prepayment financing for future barrels of .

The Energy Giant Taking Over Kurdistan

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Iraq Unveils Plan To Diversify Away From Oil

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 04 Apr 2018, 16:56:20

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al Abadi on Sunday unveiled an ambitious plan to end its dependence on oil through building up its private sector over the course of just five years. The plans are reminiscent of Iraq’s earlier plans to shift away from oil and towards the industrial sector, which were discussed in mid-2013. At the time, the plan faced many headwinds, including political discord and disruptive sectarian violence. “The government made a decision to focus on other sources in the country instead of oil, so the new plan will basically focus on industry instead of oil,” said Hussain al-Shahristani deputy prime minister for energy affairs, said at the time. Today, 90 percent of Iraq’s total revenue comes from the oil sector. This time around, the plan is to shift away from oil and toward agriculture—a move that if successful, would insulate Iraq from

Iraq Unveils Plan To Diversify Away From Oil

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Iraq Thread

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 11:09:52

Coalition forces in Iraq say attacks 'will not be tolerated'

Updated 2:31 pm EDT, Tuesday, September 24, 2019

BAGHDAD (AP) — U.S.-led coalition forces in Baghdad said Tuesday that attacks on coalition personnel and facilities in Iraq "will not be tolerated," adding that coalition forces retain the right to self-defense.

No coalition or U.S.-occupied facility was struck in Monday night's attack in which two Katyusha rockets were fired into the heavily fortified Green Zone, according to a statement issued by the coalition and Iraqi security forces.

The rockets landed few hundred meters (yards) away from the U.S. Embassy compound's perimeters, triggering alert sirens that sounded across the capital's Tigris River.

"We take this incident seriously as do our Iraqi security forces partners," the coalition statement said.

No side has claimed responsibility for the attack, which comes amid heightened tensions in the region following an attack on Saudi oil installations that the U.S. has blamed on Iran.

Similar attacks in the past have sometimes been blamed by Iraqi forces on Iranian-backed militias in Baghdad.

The militias have recently said they will retaliate to a series of airstrikes that have targeted their bases and weapons depots in recent weeks. No one has claimed the attacks but Israel, which frequently targets Iranian interests in neighboring Syria, is believed to be behind at least some of them. Some Iran-backed groups have publicly blamed Israel and its U.S. ally by extension.

A member of the Popular Mobilization Forces, the umbrella group for Iran-backed militias, said the forces fired the rockets at the Green Zone from the Dora district southwest of the capital. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to give this information.

A senior security official refrained from pointing fingers and said authorities were still investigating Tuesday night's rocket attack. Speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations, the official however said Iran-backed militias were likely to have fired the rockets considering they had vowed to retaliate to the airstrikes on their bases.

LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Asia Discussion