Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Am I crazy? What would you do??

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Am I crazy? What would you do??

Unread postby threadbear » Wed 04 Jun 2008, 16:18:43

I would refrain from using expressions like "blown out of your ass" on your first post. People are sincerely trying to help you, without knowing exactly what it is you are manufacturing and how recession proof it is. Don't be insulted by misunderstandings.

My income is generated by a real estate holding company right in the hub area of small business of Seattle. It's the cheapest rental space in a very high demand area. It's been mortgage free for 6 years.

My husband and I could have leveraged off this property to expand like crazy, but have held back because we are older and understand that no matter how great the present looks, particularly for real estate, everything can change pretty much over night.

I've lived through 4 recessions in my life--the oil shocks of the 70's, in Canada, the recession of the early 80's, the recession of the early 90's, in Canada-- and the collapse of the dotComs in Seattle.

We look to be entering a particularly nasty phase, and I suggest before you do anything, you familiarize yourself less with your specific product and more with the international economic mileau we will be entering.

Most of us on this forum are in hunkering down, in all ways, so it's extremely hard for any of us to imagine anyone going into expansion mode, at this time. FWIW--wish you luck, whatever you choose to do.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 24 Mar 2018, 20:48:56

Reposted from Deb Ozarko.Com “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” —Gandhi For the next 3 weeks, I will post a chapter from my new book release, Beyond Hope: Letting Go of a World in Collapse to give you a taste of what lives inside. This week, I offer you the powerful Introduction. If you dare, read on. *********** This book began as something very different than what you now hold in your hands. Originally conceived as a testament to the “beautiful new world” my heart still believed was possible, the working title for

Beyond Hope: Letting Go Of A World In Collapse
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby taw » Sun 25 Mar 2018, 00:49:56

Is renting strip mall space an option? Most cities, including the Seattle suburbs, have empty portions of strip malls due to overbuilding of that segment.
taw
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 25 Mar 2018, 09:32:02

Carolyn Baker

SHORT QUOTE
—————-
Action: Rape of Earth. Reaction: Runaway biosphere decay.
For every cause, there is an effect.
Cause: Human separation. Effect: Extinction of life.
We are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Karma’s a bitch. We are so fucked
—————

I think I’ll skip the book. Farley Mowat damn near killed me with Seas of Slaughter, which got him banned from the USA. He said it was the hardest book he ever wrote and he hated it, because it was all truth.

I don’t know what Carolyn hopes to accomplish. No one who does not already agree with her will read it, and those that do agree don’t need it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Crazy tmes, desperate measures........

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 04:51:41

I do think you are crazy but so are we all.......

I would play along with BAU, think carefully before you act about the most strategic way to use your energy, then choose and let go, spirit decides what happens next, the millions of decisions big and small that you are to choose on your path of life.

To prepare for scary scarcity times is wise, home and doomsteading is fine practise and will make you physically stronger, running after chicken in the woods.......
You will never be able to defend it all, BAU and your doomstead, even with 10 infamous AR15 rifles, the main bummer of a self sufficient farm, living mediëval way, one step back.
You will at some point have to do another step back, fish, hunt and gather like we humans did for almost 200000 years, 2 months of survival courses and moving in time up North, less people more trees will do the trick.
Canada comes to mind, the promised land, last Eden stronghold.

Do not worry about all stuff around you, get ready, we need a strong flexible body, train martial arts, now it is still peacetime, like soldiers/special forces preparing for battle.
With a bug out bag, bug out vehicle/schip for a one way trip into the unknown, proper survival knowledge in your hands, emperical, based on experience, clothing as the first need is to stay warm.
a few degrees low body temp.and you are as good as dead.
Learn to make fire without handy lighter, etc etc.

Make trips into nature with the family, camp out with less and less gear.
Go for adventure and cycle along, get a full suspension MTB and go along the great divide from NM to Canada or some forest near you, easy does it.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby KingM » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 07:08:02

Look at the dates on this. It's a 10 year old zombie thread that AdamB revived for some mysterious reason.
KingM
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 30 Mar 2018, 08:47:15

KingM wrote:Look at the dates on this. It's a 10 year old zombie thread that AdamB revived for some mysterious reason.

This thread is about being crazy, and Carol sure seemed to be discussing crazy. Of course, crazy was once different than it is now, Carol was fleeing the Colorado Rockies because of water shortages for Vermont, and then she fled Vermont because the water is full of carcinogens...and she fled to the Colorado Rockies. So crazy for her really might be...crazy...plus she had to deal with Ruppert. I don't consider them zombie threads...I consider them historical evidence that once upon a time, people really were crazy and took the peak oil fer meme seriously. And as some of these threads have documented quite well, posters who turned out to be right were banned for daring to not fit into the herd think. So examples of why we should fear head think are always appreciated.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion