PeakOil is You

Are subsidies always bad?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Are subsidies always bad?

Unread postby the48thronin » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 03:34:00

mr bill

wow thanks
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Quinny » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 03:44:00

The point being that the market without sanctions (negative subsidies) that or incentives (positive subsidies) can appear to be functioning well even when it's producing a pile of crap. The invisble hand effectively gives a million votes to the millionaire and 0 to the poverty stricken in deciding what is useful. What chances slavery re-appearing PPO if it isn't effectively with us already.

Markets are clearly a useful tool for effective distribution of certain goods, but as I previously said 'a good servant but a bad master'.

BlueGhostNo2 wrote:Quinny the whole point of the 'floss' argument is that GDP does not necessarily measure things you care about. O.K. however this does not mean that GDP NEVER measures things you care about.

So your logic has nothing to do with subsidies.
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby BlueGhostNo2 » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 19:32:37

cube wrote:Those 2 points probably make up 75% of the disagreements between ME and FM supporters.

I'm not an ME or FM. I am strongly in favor of regulation to create efficient markets, probably closer to FM but given the whole idea of 'free markets' has been used to champion de-regulation I can't see how I'd really fit into that box.

I'm not generally in favor of government intervention in markets, although they have a place when you simply can't have a decent market for whatever reason, but all my thoughts on this are TOTALLY outweight by my hatred of seeing the tail wag the dog - companies should not be able to have any impact on government spending, let alone the blackmail and lobbying we see in the US. Companies should not be able to have any impact on consumer spending (outside of selecting the goods they provide and the price they provide them at).

Deviations from this are terrible terrible ills for society.

Anyway I'm getting on a plane in 12 hours and flying out to Aus then NZ to complete my 2 month emigration reccy so I'll probably be posting a little less often.

Hope everything goes well for the PO peeps in my absence. :) Adios.
BlueGhostNo2
Peat
Peat

Subsidies and Puppies

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 22:45:42

Everyone likes a puppy. You get a puppy you’re immediately in love. You never want to get rid of it. Puppies also come in all sizes. Look at that face! The same is true for energy subsidies. The government essentially decides on what type of behavior (e.g., using public transport instead of your personal car to go to work) or purchase (e.g., electric vehicles instead of gas guzzling SUVs) to encourage and then hands out monetary incentives. Everyone loves them! Politicians and regulators can hand out “free” money to firms and consumers, who will be happier, and more likely to vote for them later. Everyone wins! It’s like the Oprah show, but at scale. Even Chicago economists should like puppies, I mean subsidies, in some settings. Econ 101 tells us that there are some good reasons to subsidize certain activities.

Subsidies and Puppies
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance