Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Oil & NGas Infrastructure Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Hurricane Ike Impacts to Infrastructure

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 19:52:33

Leanan wrote:Gas prices prompt state of emergency declaration from Beshear

Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear on Friday declared a state of emergency to prevent gas price gouging in the state, according to a news release from the Governor’s Office.

...“We have received an overwhelming influx of of reports from across Kentucky regarding gasoline price spikes and even rationing,” said Attorney General Jack Conway in the release. “I felt it was important to get the price gouging protections in place as soon as possible to protect the commonwealth’s consumers and businesses."

TSHTF. Officially.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Niagara » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 20:24:30

RedStateGreen wrote:The governor just had a press conference and said the infrastructure damage could be as much as $81 billion.

I'm doing a quick "back of the envelope" calculation.

20M b/d of oil consumed * 365 days = 7.3 billion barrels per year

So $81billion / 7.3 billion = $11/barrel

Does that mean the Ike damage to the infrastructure will basically add an $11 premium onto oil for the next year? Or is that an oversimplification?
Niagara
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 21:36:04

Niagara said:

Does that mean the Ike damage to the infrastructure will basically add an $11 premium onto oil for the next year? Or is that an oversimplification?

It could collapse the whole monetary/financial system. It will depend on how long these shortages last and how wide spread they become. If a collapse happens, we would need a really big premium!
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 21:56:19

I know it's just anecdotal, but my friend's parents live in Western NC, which receives its oil from a pipeline from the Gulf Coast, and they are reporting shortages and long lines.

I won't be entirely shocked to find those shortages spread to my region (150 miles East) within a few days or weeks. Tank's all filled up.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby DantesPeak » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 22:15:19

3aidlillahi wrote:I know it's just anecdotal, but my friend's parents live in Western NC, which receives its oil from a pipeline from the Gulf Coast, and they are reporting shortages and long lines.

I won't be entirely shocked to find those shortages spread to my region (150 miles East) within a few days or weeks. Tank's all filled up.

Wholesale prices have risen across the country the last two days, although if you followed only the NY futures price you wouldn't be very worried.

9/12/08 AP General Fin./Bus. News 20:51:12

September 12, 2008

Gasoline rises on Ike, but crude dips below $100
MADLEN READ
AP Business Writer

NEW YORK_Gasoline prices jumped at the wholesale level Friday as Hurricane Ike swept through Gulf of Mexico, prompting companies along the Texas coast to shut down refining and drilling operations.

The fact that U.S. fuel demand is so weak right now might mean the recent surge in the wholesale price of gasoline _ which rose to about $4.85 a gallon in the Gulf Coast market Friday _ might not be passed along to consumers unless Ike's impact is severe and long-lasting.

"Major oil companies are sensitive to raising prices in this environment," said Ben Brockwell, director of data pricing and information services at the Oil Price Information Service.

Wholesale gasoline prices on the Gulf Coast moved further into uncharted territory Friday, as refineries anticipated that Ike would lead to at least a significant pause in their operations, and at worst damage to their facilities. On Thursday, the Gulf Coast wholesale price of gasoline last traded at around $4.75 a gallon, according to OPIS, up substantially from about $3.25 Wednesday and less than $3 Tuesday.

Wholesale prices were much lower in other regions such as Chicago, New York and Los Angeles, but even those areas saw prices rise.

"Hopefully it's a temporary phenomenon, but we won't know until next week," Brockwell said.

[no link]

Yes, it may be temporary, Mr. Brockwell. We may never see price levels this low again.
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheDude » Fri 12 Sep 2008, 23:42:19

Texas City topo map. Almost 80 years old, but has enough detail to show that the city is mostly ca. 10 ft above sea level. On Google Maps you can see where the refineries have been expanded to the south of the original town plat Report on live news is saying that the HSC is flooding already.

Both weather reporting stations on GOM drilling platforms have stopped reporting. Something like 325k without power already. Good news? USCG Freeport Water Level is actually showing a slight decline. Bryan Mound SPR might only get soggy.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DantesPeak » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 00:19:35

Surge About 3 Feet From Flooding Houston Ship Channel Plants

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
September 13, 2008 12:08 a.m.

HOUSTON (Dow Jones)--Emergency officials expect that 4,000 homes will be damaged and more than 1 million customers will be without power in the wake of Hurricane Ike, U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, said Friday night.

In the Houston area, storm surge flooding was already happening Friday night.

The Houston Ship Channel, along which a number of refineries and chemical plants are located, was seeing a surge of 6 to 7 feet, said Jeffrey Lindner of Harris County Flood Control. The surge was expected to grow larger. At 10 feet, the surge would begin flooding facilities on the port, he said.

How much damage the surge causes won't be known until officials can do aerial assessments, he said.

WSJ
It's already over, now it's just a matter of adjusting.
DantesPeak
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheDude » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 14:50:04

DOE Emergency Reports for Hurricane Ike: Situation Report #1 - 1200 hours 09/13/08: (PDF 103 KB)

In Texas, over 2.4 million customers are reported without power. The majority of these customers are served by electricity distributors that received their power from CenterPoint and Entergy customers.

ERCOT reports that the South Texas Nuclear Plant will not shut down as earlier reported since winds at the facility will not be as forecast. A walkthrough of the facility is being conducted this morning.

The NRC reports that Comanche Peak, located in Glen Rose, Texas is not expected to be affected by the storm.

In preparation for the storm, Entergy Texas reported Friday that it successfully shut down the Sabine Station (natural gas generating facility) in Bridge City. All five units were taken offline.

Reuters is reporting that nearly all 2 million CenterPoint customers, or 4.5 million people, in the Houston-Galveston area were without power. CenterPoint has thousands of lineman and other crews prepared to respond to damage following the storm.

Entergy is reporting about 381,062 customers without power.

Hurricane Ike has had minimal impact on the AEP Texas service area. Crews are currently working to restore power to approximately 2,000 customers located mainly in the Bay City and El Campo areas.

Electric utilities and cooperatives are staging thousands of workers to assist in restoration. Assessments are expected to begin this afternoon. Restoration likely will be impacted by flooding from storm surge. Full restoration is expected to take several weeks. In Louisiana, Gustav restoration is temporarily suspended in areas affected by Ike.

Entergy is beginning to respond to outages caused by Ike. Gustav restoration efforts, particularly in low-lying areas, were temporarily suspended in areas affected by Ike. Ike’s impact on the area recently affected by Gustav could be more damaging than if the system was in its normal condition. This is due to fewer redundant lines to supply multiple sources of power and weakened trees that could be more susceptible to winds.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheDude » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 15:09:29

CNN: No damage visible at largest refinery in US

WFAA just ran a report from CNN's Ali Velshi, who said Exxon Mobil's Baytown refinery did not show any signs of significant damage.

He reported live from outside the facility. He said he could not see any signs of debris or that any part of the refinery had fallen down. Exxon has not yet confirmed the state of the refinery.

Exxon's Baytown refinery processes 567,000 barrels of oil per day, more than any other in the U.S.

Masters:

In Port Arthur, TX, on the Louisiana border, the surge reached 11 feet, and did not overtop their 14.5 foot high sea wall, sparing the city and its oil refineries from the major flooding that was feared.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Sat 13 Sep 2008, 15:20:19

Minerals Management Service monitors activities for both storms through its Continuity of Operations Plan.

This survey information is reflective of 83 company reports as of 11:30 a.m. CST.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 09:52:42

RIGZONE - Hurricane Ike News and Projections

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Offshore Rig Damage Caused by Hurricane Ike (Updated)
As companies evaluate their offshore assets and begin to report on their findings, it is quickly becoming apparent that Ike has dealt a harsh blow the Gulf of Mexico rig fleet. Thus far, 3 jackups and 1 platform rig have apparently been lost. In addition, another jackup has lost if drilling package and derrick, and two others suffered damages while in the shipyard. Four moored semisubmersibles sustained damage to their mooring systems and submersible rig was pushed off of its prestorm location.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby shortonoil » Thu 18 Sep 2008, 10:55:49

TheDude said:

Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Offshore Rig Damage Caused by Hurricane Ike (Updated) As companies evaluate their offshore assets and begin to report on their findings, it is quickly becoming apparent that Ike has dealt a harsh blow the Gulf of Mexico rig fleet. Thus far, 3 jackups and 1 platform rig have apparently been lost. In addition, another jackup has lost if drilling package and derrick, and two others suffered damages while in the shipyard. Four moored semisubmersibles sustained damage to their mooring systems and submersible rig was pushed off of its prestorm location.

Each storm takes out 2, 3, 4% of our oil infrastructure; and it’s not, or can’t be replaced! It is like slowly bleeding to death, one drop at a time.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby TheDude » Sun 09 Nov 2008, 19:15:05

WSJ: Gulf Energy Output Still Hobbled in Ike's Aftermath

As a late-season hurricane barrels toward Cuba, the offshore oil and natural-gas industry is still struggling to get back on its feet from the last hurricane to churn through the Gulf of Mexico.

Almost two months after Hurricane Ike slammed into the Texas coast, nearly a quarter of oil and gas production in the Gulf of Mexico remains offline, according to federal data. That is an improvement from the 33% that was offline in late October, but progress has slowed from the first weeks after the storm.

"The stuff that was easy to repair has been repaired," said Eileen Angelico, a spokeswoman for the Minerals Management Service, the federal agency that oversees the offshore oil industry.

The damage cuts across the industry. Royal Dutch Shell PLC this week said 30% of its gross production in the Gulf of Mexico remains offline. Anadarko Petroleum Corp. said a quarter of its Gulf production is still down. And Devon Energy Corp. said it expects close to a quarter of its Gulf production will remain offline for the rest of the year.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Oil & NGas Infrastructure Thread (merged)

Unread postby Ferretlover » Mon 06 Jul 2009, 11:10:01

Baker Hughes: US Oil, Gas Rig Count Up 11 To 928 This Week By Christine Buurma, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-2061; christine.buurma@ dowjones.com, July 02, 2009: 01:41 PM ET:
NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- The number of rigs drilling for oil and natural gas in the U.S. rose for the second time since April on crude oil prices and hopes of an economic recovery that could boost energy demand.
The number of oil and gas rigs rose to 928, up 11 from the previous week, according to rig data from oil-field services company Baker Hughes Inc. (BHI). The number of gas rigs was 688, an increase of one rig from last week, while the oil rig count rose to 229, a increase of 10 rigs. The number of miscellaneous rigs was unchanged at 11.
The number of gas rigs in use peaked at 1,606 in September. …

CNN
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

The Oil Canal That May Never Be

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 00:18:25

People have conceived of linking the gulf of Thailand with the Andaman sea for around 300 years but, as of yet, such plans have remained firmly in the realm of fantasy. Dividing the peninsula of Thailand is obviously a massive undertaking, which is certain to have its proponents and opponents, past, present and future. Reasons for opposition are myriad, including irreversible damage to local communities, insurmountable expenditure, and even the division of the country itself. In recent years, the problem has not merely been the absence of political will, but rather direct opposition from the Monarch himself. This opposition has kept the construction of the Kra canal firmly on the drawing board. Now, after yet another resurgence from its proponents, this project could be closer than ever to becoming reality. Whilst Thailand’s junta has stated that the project is not a

The Oil Canal That May Never Be
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Oil & NGas Infrastructure Thread (merged)

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 07:37:54

That's kind of a strange article concerning an unnecessary project (the Kra canal).
I worked out of Songkhla decades ago when the discovery well was made offshore Thailand. There existed the usual political tension between differing groups - Muslim population in Bhuddhist dominated country - but the weapon toting soldiers kept things under control.

The pirates at that time preyed upon the Vietnamese boat people, of whom a tragic example arrived at our rig and was given supplies, but threatening international shipping should be easily contained, I would think.
Sounds like little more than a multi billion dollar boondoggle good only for the skimmers/scamsters.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion