Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Improving Peak Oil Credibility

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Improving Peak Oil Credibility

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:16:56

peakoilwhen wrote:>Improving Peak Oil Credibility

What for? It's a myth based on wrong geology theory. we should be reducing its credibility, not improving it.

Peak oilers would prefer not to be the butt of resource economic jokes for the next century. Like you are for abiotic oil right about now.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:22:25

peakoilwhen wrote:you two should present your theory of how space monkeys got all that fossil hydrocarbon over to Titan from Earth,

Hydrocarbons on Titan weren't generated from organic matter in an anoxic environment any more than the atmosphere of Jupiter.

Some light reading on oil and gas generation from geoscientists so you don't look as dumb as usual?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:25:27

peakoilwhen wrote:We are now 15 years into this internet age of exploring oil theory.

So your point is that stupid people now are able to find herd thinkers of their own ilk to run with? The oil and gas business has been running along without need from the geologically challenged brigades across 3 centuries now.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:31:49

onlooker wrote:If you want to talk about conclusive findings which stand up to the reality of repeated observation then
http://richardheinberg.com/richard-hein ... biotic-oil

Meanwhile, however, the oil companies have used the biotic theory as the practical basis for their successful exploration efforts over the past few decades. If there are in fact vast untapped deep pools of hydrocarbons refilling the reservoirs that oil producers drill into, it appears to make little difference to actual production, as tens of thousands of oil and gas fields around the world are observed to deplete, and refilling (which is indeed very rarely observed) is not occurring at a commercially significant scale or rate except in one minor and controversial instance discussed below.

You manage to pick terrible, or uneducated sources at every turn, don't you onlooker? Richard knows no more about oil or the business that generates it then peakoilwhen does about geochemistry. Richard happened to be casting about one afternoon for a mechanism to scare people into following his powerdown dream, and found it in an industry he has no experience or training in, but decided he would become an expert in, after dropping out of college because of a fondness for weed and his knock on career of rock band member didn't go as well as he'd hoped.

We don't know peakoilwhen's history, but it can hardly be worse than Richard's qualifications on this topic.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:43:51

What I find interesting about Onlooker's cherry-pick is he starts out with a jab against 911 troothers. Since Onlooker is a troother, that's an odd choice for a prophet.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cog » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 13:10:21

asg70 wrote:What I find interesting about Onlooker's cherry-pick is he starts out with a jab against 911 troothers. Since Onlooker is a troother, that's an odd choice for a prophet.

Indeed it is. But conspiracies are attractive to people who think they can regain control over their life, by having secret knowledge that only youtube can expose.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby peakoilwhen » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 19:27:31

i get the impression that neither cog or asg70 are supports of abiogenic coal theory. What was it that made u think coal was biogenic?
peakoilwhen
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 06 Mar 2018, 19:35:29

You manage to pick terrible, or uneducated sources at every turn, don't you onlooker? Richard knows no more about oil or the business that generates it then peakoilwhen does about geochemistry.

Heinberg is an Academician and scholar who is referring to established consensus views from EXPERTS. You are not seriously trying to imply, he holds this view by himself are you?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 00:56:45

onlooker wrote:
You manage to pick terrible, or uneducated sources at every turn, don't you onlooker? Richard knows no more about oil or the business that generates it then peakoilwhen does about geochemistry.

Heinberg is an Academician and scholar who is referring to established consensus views from EXPERTS. You are not seriously trying to imply, he holds this view by himself are you?

Heinberg, by his own admission dropped out of school (where he really liked playing a musical instrument) because he enjoyed being a pothead even more. So where does his academic background come into play, exactly? I'll give you he might know alot about being a stoner, but beyond that...you figure lack of experience in the sciences is an advantage in some weird way? Makes him scholarly...because he is a amateur violinist...and those folks must be really...scholarly...?

And his "experts" are NEVER people who oppose his advocacy in the first place...you might not have noticed, but Richard participates wholeheartedly in specifically going after the organizations that didn't buy into his claptrap on peak oil more than a decade ago now...you know..the folks who ARE academically qualified, certified scholarly, and even have experience within the business in question? And, as it turns out, were far more accurate than he has ever been after making one of his predictions, using his experience perhaps during a marathon violin playing session while stoned?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:58:48

Heinberg is a bright guy but the worst thing he did was light the match on the "peak oil caused the credit crisis" meme in 2008. That spurious talking-point has done more harm to peak oil credibility than anything he did to build it up in the first place.

Also, his Blackout book already feels anachronistic in fearmongering about coal supply when soon after it was published, electricity generation started shifting over to fracked gas.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 15:24:19

asg70 wrote:Heinberg is a bright guy but the worst thing he did was light the match on the "peak oil caused the credit crisis" meme in 2008. That spurious talking-point has done more harm to peak oil credibility than anything he did to build it up in the first place.

I sort of liked his left wing Pol-Pot fascism angle myself. The government must force everyone to the farms to be Amish, because OH NOES!!!! WEEZ ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

Sort of like Harold Camping, except from a amateur violin playing stoner angle.

asg70 wrote:Also, his Blackout book already feels anachronistic in fearmongering about coal supply when soon after it was published, electricity generation started shifting over to fracked gas.

I haven't been through that one. Does he know any more about coal geology and resources than he does oil and natural gas?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 21:41:56

peakoilwhen wrote:i get the impression that neither cog or asg70 are supports of abiogenic coal theory. What was it that made u think coal was biogenic?
You might try something like this. You can read can't you?
https://www.thoughtco.com/all-about-coal-1440944
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 07 Mar 2018, 22:36:50

vtsnowedin wrote:
peakoilwhen wrote:i get the impression that neither cog or asg70 are supports of abiogenic coal theory. What was it that made u think coal was biogenic?
You might try something like this. You can read can't you?
https://www.thoughtco.com/all-about-coal-1440944

Gee...coal is made of organic matter. Who would have thunk it! 5 minutes of reading and even the geologically ignorant can like...LEARN STUFF!!! Try it peakoilwhen, you might like it!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Yoshua » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:46:05

Peak and plateau conventional oil.

Yoshua
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 18:18:11

something that I find questionable about this graph is the ordinate plots crude and condensate.
I'd like to know how that is being derived from the EIA database versus the unconventional production given much of the condensate reported by EIA actually comes from unconventional fields. The EIA separate estimate of production from unconventional actually includes all of the condensate.
There is room for confusion here if the source isn't understood correctly.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 13:09:20

XOM in total free fall for the past 2 months.

BP in total free fall for the past 3 months.

US Dollar in total free fall past 3 months.

Look out below!

Bob Dudley of BP: "We're gonna save the world by throwing shit at the wall and see if something will stick"

Truth: BP cannot even save itself.

rockdoc, Adam, etc have bags on head, "Cannot see Peak Oil at all".
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 13:28:40

Where is the Polish Shale Industry?

Where is the UK Shale Industry?

EconoDunce Dieter Helm said oil is everywhere but we cannot dig it up because of the climate change hoax.

Truth: Shale Not self financing.

Ponzi.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 13:53:13

XOM in total free fall for the past 2 months.

XOM is not in a “freefall the past 3 months” It actually rose from $83 to $89 between Jan 1 and Feb 1 but then dropped by 13% in the first week of Feb along with the entire market correction. The share price has only dropped about $1 from Feb 8th to today’s price, which by the way is double what it was in 2002.

BP in total free fall for the past 3 months.

BP is the same situation, they went through the market correction in early February (9% correction) but since then have bounced around the same level of the first week Feb and are now down slightly (1%).

US Dollar in total free fall past 3 months.

The US dollar has weakened from its recent high in 2017 at $100 to a lowe in Feb 2018 of around $89 but strengthened and has remained on average around it’s current level since. At it’s current level it is much higher than the period from 2003 through mid 2014. It is measured against a basket of currencies and doesn’t necessarily mean the $US economy is weakening but rather can mean the basket economies are strengthening.

Truth: BP cannot even save itself.

From BP’s 2017 full year results
- Underlying profit up 139%
- Downstream underlying profit up 24%
- Upstream production up 12%
- Reserves replacement ratio 143% for BP Group
- Exploration delivered the most successful year for BP since 2004, with around 1 billion boe resources discovered.

rockdoc, Adam, etc have bags on head, "Cannot see Peak Oil at all".

More like "Starving Lion has rocks in his head and can’t see the keyboard for his drool".
There is a big difference between understanding what Peak Oil is and it’s potential impacts versus unreasoned doomer panic as demonstrated by you and other’s on this site.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 14:17:21

Yoshua wrote:Peak and plateau conventional oil.

But but surely the "technology revolution" will keep the undulating plateau of conventional oil going forever, wont it.

All they are doing is trading slower decline rate for rapid depletion rate.

Their "technology revolution" has guaranteed a TOTAL COLLAPSE.

People like rockdoc wont know what hit them when the plateau turns into a sudden cliff. Its like the 2003 Columbia space shuttle that broke up over Texas. Astronauts didn't even have time to pull down their visors before they were shredded into bits. They didn't even know whats happening. And the clowns at NASA actually admitted that they would not tell the astronauts that catastrophic damage has occured to the leading wing. They said: "Why bother telling them so that they could just orbit the earth until their air ran out. Better to have a beautiful mission and then an unexpected TOTAL COLLAPSE".

Thats how the authorities have changed the Peak Oil narrative from manageable decline into TOTAL COLLAPSE. Why bother with lingering pointless suffering existence. Just blow bubbles until the bleeping shit hits the fan.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 14:46:48

Now Bankrupt Scamerica is IPOing Explicit Ponzi Schemes.

Evidence of a worthless junk currency.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion