Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Russia Thread pt 5 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

New Sanctions Law Aimed at Russian Foreign Assets

Unread postby dissident » Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:34:51

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/r ... st/ri20627

These sanctions are no diplomatic squabble. They will get very personal for Russian businesses and professionals working with Russian companies. Any sector of business can be targeted by the US for such crimes as “closeness to elites”, “oligarch”. They are reminiscent of Stalin’s terror and kangaroo courts in which anyone could be charged, tried and convicted, property seized and banished without a right to appeal.

Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (H.R.3364) signed into law on August 3, 2017 targets potentially any Russian individuals, any people in commerce with Russia and Russians, as enemies. The law commences a massive worldwide hunt for assets, property, bank accounts of Russian people. Mechanisms for mass expropriation and freezing of private property, bank assets, and real estate that already exist will be unleashed to seize property belonging to Russians and their family and friends worldwide.

Any savings, homes, assets, bank accounts any Russians have anywhere in the western world are now at risk of being seized. Russians stand to lose all their monies in any western countries, if they do not repatriate them in time to Russia, beyond the reach of American agencies.

Exceptionalistan thinks it's invincible and immune. You are just begging to get what's coming to you.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: Are the MSM Russian agents

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 13:24:30

Well Putin's minions are in full song today about yesterday's election results. They managed to keep blue state Virginia Blue in the governors office and pick up New Jersey Where Hillary beat Trump 55 to 41 in 2016. Nothing too surprising there but if you watch the liberal MSM yesterday's results were an astounding defeat for Trump and signal the beginning of the end of his presidency.
Maybe if they click their ruby slipperd heels three times with their fingers crossed and wish on a falling star they will get their wish. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Are the MSM Russian agents

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 08 Nov 2017, 13:32:38

vtsnowedin wrote:They managed to keep blue state Virginia Blue in the governors office and pick up New Jersey Where Hillary beat Trump 55 to 41 in 2016. Nothing too surprising there but if you watch the liberal MSM yesterday's results were an astounding defeat for Trump and signal the beginning of the end of his presidency.

I noticed that. Especially in liberal leaning papers like the NYT. When they can spin things so hard with a straight face, pretending to be objective, it's time to decide I'm not renewing.

Decided the same thing in terms of the WSJ years ago -- with the problem being too much spin to the hard right, and facts be damned.

I guess just cruising the net for news trying to get a balance of perspectives, and hoping not to be faked out by fake news is the needed ploy. Not too good for newspaper revenue though.

Too bad there are so few quality papers that manage to be close to balanced overall, as I want to READ THE NEWS (when I want the news), not the analysis and posturing of various political shills. (I'd be fine with, and might even be willing to pay for excellent, preferably balanced, political analysis, but they need to accurately CALL it analysis, and not "news".

Just one crabby old man's opinion, admittedly. (But since this crabby old man votes and pays attention, and pays lots of taxes, he believes he has the right to an opinion).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Can Russia Break Its Oil Dependence?

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:09:41

Production
Despite improving oil prices, Russia’s economic growth is slowing, with GDP rise for the third quarter at 1.8 percent on an annual basis, versus 2.5 percent for the second quarter, Russia’s state statistical bureau, Rosstat, said earlier this week. Analysts say it’s the latest indication that Russia’s economy needs major reforms.

Let’s state the obvious: Russia needs an economy overhaul that will reduce the contribution of oil to its budget revenues. This overhaul is something that the central bank governor Elvira Nabiulina put a price tag on last year, warning that without it, GDP won’t be able to grow at a rate of more than two percent even if oil prices jump to $100 a barrel.

Can Russia Break Its Oil Dependence?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

THE Russia Thread pt 5 (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 14:20:23

Sure, lets just ignore reality again and not give any credence to the fact that Russia is resource rich, able to easily feed itself and provide clothing, shelter and all other true necessities for itself. Oil revenue is the cream on the gallon of milk, not the whole thing, and pretending otherwise is the only way to claim Russia is suffering.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can Russia Break Its Oil Dependence?

Unread postby dirtyharry » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 15:38:30

100% correct ,Tanada . I forget exactly what the SOB Rumsfield said about fighting a war with the army you have etc etc . The energy resources of Russia is it s strength and that is where you fight the battle .You fight a battle from the high ground to win ,so says Sun Tsu the great Chinese warrior . Read ^The Art of War^ by Sun Tsu ,a masterpiece in strategy .
dirtyharry
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 20 Nov 2017, 17:34:22

pstarr wrote:Can we break our oil dependence?

Can you break your oil dependence?

Got EV?

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby dissident » Tue 21 Nov 2017, 22:12:04

Some facts that break the propaganda drivel:

https://www.awaragroup.com/blog/russian ... s-warfare/

- Oil and gas industries account for less than 10% of Russia's GDP (10% includes mineral extraction).

- 17% of the consolidated national budget is based on oil and gas exports.

- Idiots who look at the composition of Russia's exports to judge its level of diversification need to be laughed out of the room:
Russia has one of the lowest import rates on the planet because it manufactures what it needs domestically. An oil based
banana republic would be importing everything aside from oil.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Russia Thread pt 3 (merged)

Unread postby AgentR11 » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 13:32:31

Yamal LNG terminal begins loading icebreaking tanker this week...

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/ ... this-week/
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 09 Dec 2017, 11:24:47

AgentR11 wrote:Yamal LNG terminal begins loading icebreaking tanker this week...

https://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/ ... this-week/

Thanx for posting this, I really sea the Arctic sea routes as the path of the future. They cut so much distance from shipping from Asia to Atlantic ports. It will be a huge money maker for both eastern USA and Western EU.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Pipeline Doubles Russian Crude Oil Supply To China

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 18:14:19

Russia quietly doubled its crude oil export capacity to China in the new year when it launched a new pipeline, cementing its position as the number one supplier of crude to its Asian neighbor. The extension of the East Siberia-Pacific Ocean, or ESPO, oil pipeline between Russia and China started operating on January 1, doubling the export volumes from 15 to 30 million tons annually, or almost 220 million barrels, Xinhua reported. The agency noted that the extension, which was agreed in 2013, would serve China’s Belt and Road initiative for expanding China’s regional influence in Asia. The new section of the Eastern Siberia–Pacific Ocean pipeline began operations Monday, Xinhua added. The venture is expected to "deepen energy co-operation between Moscow and Beijing" and serve the Belt and Road Initiative, a major Chinese-led development project across Asia. Rosneft is the supplier of the

New Pipeline Doubles Russian Crude Oil Supply To China
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Exxon Quits Some Russian Joint Ventures Citing Sanctions

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 01 Mar 2018, 18:03:19

Exxon Mobil Corp will exit some joint ventures with Russia's Rosneft, citing Western sanctions first imposed in 2014, while the Russian company said the pullout will result in serious losses for its U.S. partner. The move is an about-face for Exxon, which had opposed the sanctions over Russia's invasion of Crimea and argued they unfairly penalized U.S. companies while allowing foreign energy rivals to operate in the country, the world's largest oil producer. Yet the sanctions were effective in slowing work on a project by Exxon and Rosneft on what was hailed as a major discovery in the Kara Sea above the Arctic Circle. Rosneft, Russia's largest oil company, said last year that it planned to return to operations at the project in 2019. Exxon's exit from projects will not affect the Sakhalin project off the eastern coast of Russia, Exxon and Rosneft spokesmen said. Sakhalin-1 operates under a

Exxon Quits Some Russian Joint Ventures Citing Sanctions

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Russia’s economy : still dependent on oil

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 16:08:19

After two years of recession caused by lower oil prices and western sanctions, Russia’s recovery benefits Vladimir Putin as he seeks a new term in office. However, this improvement won’t last long without structural reforms. EURACTIV.fr reports. Russia’s economic recovery is timely for Vladimir Putin, following a 15% peak in 2015, inflation fell last year to 3%. As for growth, it is slowly recovering after a -3.7% dive in 2015, with a 1.5% growth in 2017 that should be followed by another 1.8% expansion in 2018. Rating agencies raised the country’s credit rating at the end of February and forecast a stable future. S&P’s rating for the country, therefore, upgraded it from the so-called “junk” or speculative category. Behind this return to stability, there is a strong link between the rouble and oil: as the rise of the price of black gold

Russia’s economy : still dependent on oil

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Oil weapon: It's time for a long, hard look at Russia

Unread postby dissident » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 18:15:11

This article is a lie.

Oil and natural gas does not account for 30% of Russia’s GDP. The mineral and hydrocarbon extraction industry (resource rents) accounts for 10.3% of Russia’s GDP:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY ... cations=RU

So oil and gas account for less than 10% and are probably around 7% of Russia’s GDP.

The consolidated national budget (the actual federal budget and not the narrow definition that is used sometimes) of Russia depends on oil and natural gas taxes to the level of 17% as of 2016:

https://www.awaragroup.com/blog/russian ... s-warfare/

At one time the oil and gas taxes accounted for 50% of the narrow budget and this has turned into an all time myth. Just as the share of oil and gas has diminished in the GDP so has their share in the tax revenues.

Another point that escapes all the Russia hater monkeys is this. What is wrong with the Russian government taxing resource rents and giving the citizens an income tax break? What law of nature requires the government to tax personal incomes at all costs and to give tax breaks to resource rents? There is no such law. Russians pay a flat 13% income tax.

Another piece of epic idiocy by western “experts” is that they only look at Russia’s export profile to evaluate its economic diversity. Since Russia exports a lot of natural resources they ASSUME that it is undeveloped. This morons should also look at the Russian imports profile. Russia imports nowhere near enough products that could explain the level of its domestic offerings. That is, Russia has a vast array of domestic production and does not need to import. These western “experts” missed the detail that commodity dependent banana republics have to import everything that they do not produce themselves.

Another piece of NATO hate propaganda without a shred of evidence to back it up. Just like the UK "novichok" circus.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: Oil weapon: It's time for a long, hard look at Russia

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 15:08:57

"These western “experts” missed the detail that commodity dependent banana republics have to import everything that they do not produce themselves." And obviously not just banana growing countries but also oil producing countries. Russia exports fossil fuels but also has enough to provide for its own citizens. What does it lack?

The following product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russia’s import purchases during 2017. Also shown is the percentage share each product category represents in terms of overall imports into Russia.

1.Machinery including computers: US$45.3 billion (20% of total imports)
2.Electrical machinery, equipment: $26.7 billion (11.8%)
3.Vehicles: $21.4 billion (9.4%)
4.Pharmaceuticals: $10.8 billion (4.8%)
5.Plastics, plastic articles: $8.8 billion (3.9%)
6.Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $6.2 billion (2.7%)
7.Articles of iron or steel: $5.3 billion (2.3%)
8.Iron, steel: $4.8 billion (2.1%)
9.Fruits, nuts: $4.7 billion (2.1%)
10.Rubber, rubber articles: $3.6 billion (1.6%)

Not exactly the end of life as they know it if Russia were unable to import all those products to the same degree. Not like countries that import a large amount o food from the US. Or the US importing a significant percentage of the oil it uses to fuel its economy.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Putin Finally Went Too Far

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 21:32:20

When Britain threw out 23 Russian diplomats in response to an assassination attempt on Russian agent Sergei Skripal, Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia and current bad boy of modern geopolitics, shrugged it off. With relations between London and Moscow so strained, the embassy didn’t have all that much to do, anyway. The cost, Putin no doubt felt, was predictable and bearable. Then on Monday, 20 additional countries, from Albania to Ukraine, joined in a coordinated expulsion campaign, with the United States accounting for 60 of the Russians sent packing. On Tuesday, NATO announced it would expel seven Russian diplomats in response to the poisoning. Suddenly, the Kremlin isn’t looking quite so comfortable. With the Skripal hit, it looks as if Putin may have finally overreached. For years now, Putin’s calculation has been that the West is strong but lacking in

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Putin Finally Went Too Far

Unread postby dissident » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 23:27:10

AdamB wrote:

When Britain threw out 23 Russian diplomats in response to an assassination attempt on Russian agent Sergei Skripal, Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia and current bad boy of modern geopolitics, shrugged it off. With relations between London and Moscow so strained, the embassy didn’t have all that much to do, anyway. The cost, Putin no doubt felt, was predictable and bearable. Then on Monday, 20 additional countries, from Albania to Ukraine, joined in a coordinated expulsion campaign, with the United States accounting for 60 of the Russians sent packing. On Tuesday, NATO announced it would expel seven Russian diplomats in response to the poisoning. Suddenly, the Kremlin isn’t looking quite so comfortable. With the Skripal hit, it looks as if Putin may have finally overreached. For years now, Putin’s calculation has been that the West is strong but lacking in

Proof is never needed when blood libel accusations are made against Russians. That racist bitch May actually attacked all Russians as murderers. This Freudian slip was then struck from the records. Too bad racist c*nt Russians know what you are all about so don't even try to bait them against Putin:

http://johnhelmer.net/the-blood-libel-o ... nment-sic/

I expect many more of these fake, pathetic frame up jobs to come. The British need to keep the hate against Russians fresh and visceral. And Russia can stop giving this scum breaks such as this:

https://www.ft.com/content/31e076e2-1e2 ... db76e69936

May and pals can get all the CH4 they need from their a**es.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AgentR11 » Tue 15 May 2018, 19:31:56

Just an anecdote now, but its interesting to note that the bridge that could not be built, is open for personal vehicle traffic now. Trucks allowed shortly. Rail section sometime next year I think.

Visible form space
https://yandex.ru/maps/?ll=36.514314%2C ... z=14&l=sat
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 16 May 2018, 10:19:07

AgentR11 wrote:Just an anecdote now, but its interesting to note that the bridge that could not be built, is open for personal vehicle traffic now. Trucks allowed shortly. Rail section sometime next year I think.

Visible form space
https://yandex.ru/maps/?ll=36.514314%2C ... z=14&l=sat

Excellent news! I love these kind of big infrastructure projects! Sound engineering beats the naysayers every single time it is tried!
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 May 2018, 14:45:35

$4.5 Trillion in US dollars are traded daily. I know doomers make a big deal about petro-dollars but they are insignificant in comparison. Even if ever single barrel of oil produced daily(96mbd), was traded in some other currency besides the dollar, it would only amount to around $7 billion/day. Irrelevant.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to Europe Discussion