Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The possible Pence administration

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: The possible Pence administration

Unread postby Cog » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 09:59:30

vtsnowedin wrote:
Cog wrote:The leaders of the RNC had nothing to do with Trump's selection and they fought him all the way to the election. Trump was elected by sheer will and guts and a voting block who was sick to death of the typical political types like Jeb Bush. But since you don't understand that you won't understand why Hillary lost either.

A voting block of stupid people that watch reality TV and think it is real. Combine their votes with those totally sick of Hillary and Trump eked out the win. But his win was not Uuhege and his performance has been anything but great. And no I didn't vote for either one of these deplorable candidates.

Stick with that narrative that only stupid people voted for Trump. Hillary tried to spin that exact thing and we see how it worked out. No other candidate would have beaten Hillary. We dodged a major bullet in 2016 by defeating that hag Hillary.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 10:19:16

Both VTS and Ghung, neither of them Hillary supporters or loyal D's, have been able to see clearly as I have from the beginning that Trump, independent of the partisan polarization, is a deeply flawed candidate.

The classic unfolding of a doomed populist, able to raise the ire of the public but incapable of execution since his entire modus operandi is divisiveness. Notice the turnover of his cabinet.

The public turns in time on a populist when they grow weary of the incompetence and divisiveness.

This was all boringly predictable which is why I withdrew myself from the orbit of this asshole early on after initially engaging.

These days my inputs are a few poignant posts on a rare Monday!

A critically endangered tree frog was rediscovered by a herpetologist on our reserve a week ago. Read about it here. Now that is NEWS !

http://blog.mounttotumas.com/?p=3001
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 12:03:21

Ibon wrote: ..... The classic unfolding of a doomed populist, able to raise the ire of the public but incapable of execution since his entire modus operandi is divisiveness. Notice the turnover of his cabinet.

The public turns in time on a populist when they grow weary of the incompetence and divisiveness.

Not so sure these days. As I think the saying goes; "There's a lot to be said for brute force and ignorance....". Cog seems to think so.

Anyway, three happy chirps for the little tree frogs, and those who care!
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 12:43:05

Nothing quite like a Trump thread to bring Ibon out of semi-retirement. LOL
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 12:59:57

Hillary illegally takes tens of thousands of government emails, including top secret emails, from secure government networks and copies them onto the cloud so she could access them from her unsecure ancient blackberry phone and has them copied onto Anthony Wieners laptop and printed out for her to read and then deletes 30,000 emails that are under subpoena and then bleaches and scrubs her server to totally destroy all evidence of what was on it and thats not mishandling of government documents and obstruction of justice?

Trump fires an FBI director who illegally leaked to the press and gave updates to Obama on the progress of the investigation of Hillary and gave Hillary a pass on her crimes and did nothing as his deputy and ranking members of the FBI lied to the FISA court to allow the Ds to wiretap the Trump campaign, and that is obstruction of justice?

What interesting times we live in... :-D

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 15:24:52

None of that matters Plant. All that matters is that Trump hurts people's feelings and therefore must be impeached.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 22:47:36

Cog wrote:None of that matters Plant. All that matters is that Trump hurts people's feelings and therefore must be impeached.

Yet, despite all the wailing and empty predicting from the left, I keep waiting to see actual EVIDENCE that Trump deserves to be impeached.

If I see actual EVIDENCE that he had a meaningful, deliberate part in sabataging the election results so he could win, I'll be all for impeaching him.

If not, I'll be remembering how the left rallied around HRC during cattlefuturesgate, when she blatantly cheated to make money she didn't earn or deserve (in the tradition of the far left, of course), even though the odds of that sequence of trades occurring has been calculated at over a trillion to one. Yeah, I believe EVERYTHING she says about that. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 12 Feb 2018, 23:00:54

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Cog wrote:None of that matters Plant. All that matters is that Trump hurts people's feelings and therefore must be impeached.

Yet, despite all the wailing and empty predicting from the left, I keep waiting to see actual EVIDENCE that Trump deserves to be impeached.

If I see actual EVIDENCE that he had a meaningful, deliberate part in sabataging the election results so he could win, I'll be all for impeaching him.

If not, I'll be remembering how the left rallied around HRC during cattlefuturesgate, when she blatantly cheated to make money she didn't earn or deserve (in the tradition of the far left, of course), even though the odds of that sequence of trades occurring has been calculated at over a trillion to one. Yeah, I believe EVERYTHING she says about that. :roll:

If the Democrats take control of the house any high crime or misdemeanor will do. Bribery in any country Trump has built a hotel in with union labor and local corruption will fill the bill as will money laundering for himself or aiding a Russian kleptocrate. And they are hot on finding a woman to testify that he sexually assaulted her any time in the last thirty years.
The fact that Hillary was and is far worse will have no bearing on the issue.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby EdwinSm » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 02:48:23

As the old British saying goes "A penny for your thoughts", so what do people think about Pence {that is one of the plural forms for penny} as a (possible) President?

I have heard only a little about him, so I would be interested in what people here think. There seems people here from different parts of the American political spectrum so there could be quite a range of feelings!
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 04:23:19

EdwinSm wrote:As the old British saying goes "A penny for your thoughts", so what do people think about Pence {that is one of the plural forms for penny} as a (possible) President?

I have heard only a little about him, so I would be interested in what people here think. There seems people here from different parts of the American political spectrum so there could be quite a range of feelings!

He is too far right wing religious fundamentalist for my taste. He would never be my first choice for high public office.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 09:54:42

EdwinSm wrote:As the old British saying goes "A penny for your thoughts", so what do people think about Pence {that is one of the plural forms for penny} as a (possible) President?

Pence was governor of the state bordering us to the west and did a good job operating the political levers to get stuff done in his state.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:24:56

vtsnowedin wrote:The fact that Hillary was and is far worse will have no bearing on the issue.

Damn right, because Trump's president and not Hillary. The stakes just aren't the same. And if Trump doesn't want the heat he maybe shouldn't have committed any high crimes and misdemeanors in the first place. This sort of thinly veiled accusation of lopsided justice should be reserved for people who aren't as crooked as Trump.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:33:16

Tanada wrote:

Pence was governor of the state bordering us to the west and did a good job operating the political levers to get stuff done in his state.

Did he?

His Republican predecessor, former Gov. Mitch Daniels, had already done much of the heavy lifting on tax reform and business development in his eight years as governor, leaving Pence little to accomplish in office aside from not making a mess of things.

That was a feat Pence almost achieved until April 2015, when he found himself at the center of a national firestorm sparked by his signing into law the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which aimed to prevent "substantially burdening" the practice of a person's religion. Opponents believed it could lead to discrimination based on sexual orientation. Indiana Republicans say the imbroglio that ensued happened because Pence didn't have a grasp on the details of how the bill would affect public policy. The city's tourism and convention bureau, Visit Indy, tallied more than 2,500 negative media mentions about the state in the days after Pence signed the bill. Indiana lost 12 conventions and $60 million. In the process, Pence fractured Daniels' big-tent coalition of socially liberal businesspeople and ideological conservatives.

State lawmakers were left to cobble together a wordsmithed legislative fix, and staged a news conference from which Pence, by then toxic, was notably absent. "He was not involved in the details of that legislation, and it was the details that burned him. He's interested in broad themes and philosophical pronouncements," says Pelath, the Indiana House minority leader. Pence's former congressional chief of staff, Marc Short, now Trump's director of legislative affairs, chalked up the episode to bad staff work and unfair media coverage.

In Indiana, Pence was often criticized as leading from behind and coasting on the ideological and economic fumes of Daniels. Whereas Daniels often outlined his budget priorities before legislative sessions began, Pence usually let his fellow Republican state lawmakers take the lead. "The nitty-gritty of taking an idea into workable policy, that's just not Mike Pence ......
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... -maybe-but

"Trump's director of legislative affairs, chalked up the episode to bad staff work and unfair media coverage."

Sounds like Trump's favorite excuse.

I stand by my empty suit comment, above. I doubt the slug has had an original thought in his whole life.... Oh,, wait! He was a radio talk show host. That's sort of original.

When then-candidate Donald Trump chose Pence as his running mate last year, his approval rating was in the forties, making him less popular than most governors nationwide. As governor, Pence faced national scorn and was forced to backpedal after he signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, allowing businesses to deny services based on religious belief.

Indiana has long been considered to be a Republican stronghold and is rated R+7 on the Cook Partisan Voting Index. The current governor of Indiana is Republican Eric Holcomb, and Republicans hold supermajorities in both chambers of the Indiana General Assembly.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vbz ... ce-indiana
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:47:53

GHung wrote:
Tanada wrote:

Did he?

Yup, Indiana is doing fine economically, nobody is rioting and burning down Indianapolis over police shootings and none of the other nonsense that afflicted Maryland, Missouri, or other states in 2015-16 afflicted Indiana.

A lack of bad events is a good thing, don't you agree?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GHung » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:39:59

I don't agree that Pence gets much credit for that, and it seems that when he left office, a majority of the folks in Indiana felt the same way.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 15:25:47

The point is for better or worse Pence is next in line to be PotUS if anything happens to Trump. We won't get a chance to vote for or against him before 2020. The question is can he put together a working administration and staff that can do a good job of it?
Of course Trump may last out the term in spite of the Democrats and CNN's best efforts so this is just idle speculation but why not avoid the rush?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 16:16:22

Trump may be flawed, Tanada. Many quite effective US Presidents were.

I'm not a Trump fan, but I was definitely anti-Clinton. There was no viable 3rd party, so too bad that amounts to the same thing.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 17:22:23

Omarosa warns America of 'scary' Pence

Former White House aide turned "Celebrity Big Brother" contestant Omarosa Manigault-Newman described Vice President Pence as "extreme" and "scary."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/201 ... newday.cnn

She says that Pence thinks Jesus tells him what to say 8O The farce surrounding this White House continues, and, personally, I get a very creepy feeling from Pence; something in his eyes (dead eyes).

I've ignored such feelings in the past coming from folks, and generally regretted it. They almost always turned out to be very creepy.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 18:11:24

I'd be creeped out by anyone that wants to electroshock homosexuality out of a person.
jesus_of_suburbia
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 20:09:58

jesus_of_suburbia wrote:I'd be creeped out by anyone that wants to electroshock homosexuality out of a person.

Except that Mike Pence never said or endorsed electroshock for gays to "cure" them. Another lie that slips so easily from the left's lips.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance