Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Re: deluge thread 2018

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 26 Jan 2018, 14:28:04

D'oh!!

Yup, I just heard this on the news and slapped my head for not triple checking before making assumptions!

Wow. I wonder how many sigmas out it is for that level of happening this often there!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 27 Jan 2018, 03:48:49

Historically speaking flooding of the Seine was quite common. Paris has actually been doing pretty good the last few decades with less floods, but like everything else in a natural system conditions fluctuate. Perhaps we will see decades of frequent floods once again?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 27 Jan 2018, 19:18:11

I'm not sure what time frame you are thinking of, but this level of rain seems to be rare over the last century at least for this time of year.

France has seen rain like this over the New Year period only three times in the last century.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42841615

More here:
"Because of climate change, we can expect floods in the Seine basin to be at least as frequent as they are right now," Florence Habets, a senior researcher at the France's national center for scientific research, told the newspaper. "No matter what we say, the more we reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, the more we reduce our impact on droughts and floods."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... crest-soon
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 27 Jan 2018, 21:17:46

dohboi wrote:I'm not sure what time frame you are thinking of, but this level of rain seems to be rare over the last century at least for this time of year.

France has seen rain like this over the New Year period only three times in the last century.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42841615

More here:
"Because of climate change, we can expect floods in the Seine basin to be at least as frequent as they are right now," Florence Habets, a senior researcher at the France's national center for scientific research, told the newspaper. "No matter what we say, the more we reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, the more we reduce our impact on droughts and floods."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... crest-soon

Not sure what you are looking for, but people have been building flood control dikes on the Seine river since it was a Roman colony back in the first century. The bg deal is, with cheap fossil fuels we raised and strengthened the dimes a great deal on all rivers since the 1850’s so now when a flood breaks through people see it as a catastrophe nstead of part of the natural cycle. I had freind in Saint Louis in the 1990’s that got hit with three major floods in a decade. Before the Army Engineers diked the whole oength of the Mississippi floods were an annual thing when the spring rains added to the snow melt, but modern folks have gotten used to floods being contained by manmade dikes. So when the dikes fail people freak out,
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 28 Jan 2018, 14:22:18

We've all been talking pretty much from anecdotes here...kinda interesting but ultimately not very useful.

This report says that no clear pattern has yet emerged for much of Europe wrt increased flooding over the last couple hundred years, but that, though there are many hard-to-pit-down variables, most models predict an increase in flooding for most of Frances major rivers over the next century.

https://www.climatechangepost.com/france/river-floods/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 28 Jan 2018, 15:49:35

dohboi - "...most models predict an increase in flooding for most of Frances major rivers over the next century." Which seems to imply that there are some models that don't. So does the majority rule? Not to hurt my arm by patting myself on the back but every one of dozen of models indicated there was no residual oil left to produce in my target field. Including the two models my company paid for. All but one said no producible oil: mine. So my owner ignored the rest and drilled my well. And it came in flowing 300 bopd and no water. My model was based upon a form of compartmentalization I've never seen offered in any peer publication. And I couldn't write about it either at the time as per my owner's confidentiality clause. But my company has changed hands and I'm writing a publication now. And will mail copies to every butt head that said geologists don't know shit about reservoir engineering. LOL.

None of which proves the majority of the weather models are wrong. But being in the majority also doesn't prove they are correct either, does it?
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 29 Jan 2018, 16:03:59

Nice anecdote, and of course there are always going to be some unknowns, especially when trying to make predictions about specific locations (and, as Yogi Bera would say, about the future :) ).

In this case, you do have some pretty basic physics to fall back on.

A warmer world will hold more water vapor in its atmosphere (an increase of about 7% water vapor for every degree C increase, iirc). That water vapor will come down somewhere, more often suddenly and in large quantities in most places. The far interior of continents generally will have less of this affect as they are far from the sea and will likely dry out generally, since the extra heat also can do a nice job of drying things out.

But of course the topography of individual locations will have the largest effect, along with how loss of Arctic sea ice affects weather patterns throughout the Northern Hemisphere (and beyond).

Because there are some unknowns, as there always will be, does not mean that we know nothing at all.

ETA: Physics dictates (and this is already happening) that a warming world will see the Hadley cell expand, and as it does, the dryness zone now associated with the Sahara Desert will move first into southern Europe (probably already part of what is happening in a drying Spain, Italy and Greece, last I looked), and then into central Europe. Probably the exact timing of these competing tendencies affecting specific areas accounts for some of the disagreement in models.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Feb 2018, 15:21:57

https://watchers.news/2018/02/04/massiv ... ord-highs/

Massive floods hit Argentina as Pilcomayo River reaches record highs
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 06 Feb 2018, 15:38:02

Extreme rainstorms becoming more common in Seattle, says city meteorologist

Attention, Seattle residents: Have you noticed more steady, long-lasting rainstorms in a city better known for gray skies, short showers and drizzle? Turns out you’re on to something.

Over the last 15 years, the city’s had more extreme rain, according to a new study by Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) officials, who say the weather is a climate-change preview.

“This confirms our anecdotal evidence,” said James Rufo-Hill, an SPU meteorologist. “For years, people have been saying, ‘I think the rain is getting worse around here,’ and now the data shows that.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... orologist/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 07 Feb 2018, 07:28:09

https://watchers.news/2018/02/06/deadly ... -rainfall/

Deadly floods and landslides hit Indonesia after extreme rainfall
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 22:10:27

...The Mississippi River is currently at one of the highest levels in history.

A huge diversion dam just opened in Louisiana today to take pressure of New Orleans levees.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericholthaus ... 7148246017
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 09 Mar 2018, 04:05:44

Think about it. Texas to Michigan. Almost an atmospheric river, dumping incredible amounts of rain over the Mississippi River drainage. For weeks on end. You haven't heard the end of this story.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:10:38

The biggest problem on the Mississippi are all the attempts to straighten and chanel the river done by foolish humans. Instead of spreading out into the flood plain and distributing fresh silt over the land we have redirected the river to flow as fast as possible carrying the maximum silt load, and then dump that silt off the edge of the continental shelf in the Gulf of Mexico. We tried to make nature adapt to us instead of adapting ourselves to nature. The Mississippi should have switched to flowing down the Atchafalaya course decades ago but we built man made control structures to prevent that from happening. By refusing to allow silt depositing in the flood plain and course transition all the silt that would be maintaining the wetlands is forced over the lip and the wetlands erode year by year further north. It is crazy that we are doing this.
Heck the Bonnet control structure is well over a century old, or the river would have filled Lake Ponchetrain in with silt making it into a vast wetland a century ago, but even then humans decided they knew better. If we want to fix erosion the first step is to remove part of the Bonnet control structure and let Lake Ponchetrain be transitioned into being a swamp instead of being a lake. We should also evacuate or elevate all human structures in the flood plain and remove the levees so the river can refresh that land with new silt deposits. In the process of these two events the Mississippi will shift about 80 percent of its flow to the Atchafalaya course in about 20 years, but it wont stop pushing some water down the old Mississippi, it just wont push nearly as much except during floods. That isn't something we should be fighting, it is something we should be adapting to.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:25:06

After a slow start, California is catching up and is just about average on rainfall and snow pack. So not much worry about drought this year. Still time for a deluge and mudslides, though. A bit unusual for the SF Bay Area, after today's sun there is a forecast of six days of rain.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 09 Mar 2018, 17:03:00

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-09/m ... ld/9533586

Supposed to be the dryest continent......

More than 200 homes have been inundated with floodwaters near the north Queensland town of Ingham as rivers in the area reach their flood peak.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) Commissioner Katarina Carroll said her crews were involved in 7 rescues across the far north and about 10 in the north regions, around Ingham and Halifax.

"Four of those were probably due to silly behaviour, but some of those are genuine people where their houses have started to be inundated and we've just removed them from their houses to a place of safety," she said.

Oops, that is tropical, rainy season so they are used to lots of rain from rising hot air.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 20:53:24

Subjectivist wrote:The biggest problem on the Mississippi are all the attempts to straighten and channel the river done by foolish humans. Instead of spreading out into the flood plain and distributing fresh silt over the land we have redirected the river to flow as fast as possible carrying the maximum silt load, and then dump that silt off the edge of the continental shelf in the Gulf of Mexico. We tried to make nature adapt to us instead of adapting ourselves to nature. The Mississippi should have switched to flowing down the Atchafalaya course decades ago but we built man made control structures to prevent that from happening. By refusing to allow silt depositing in the flood plain and course transition all the silt that would be maintaining the wetlands is forced over the lip and the wetlands erode year by year further north. It is crazy that we are doing this.

Heck the Bonnet control structure is well over a century old, or the river would have filled Lake Pontchartrain in with silt making it into a vast wetland a century ago, but even then humans decided they knew better. If we want to fix erosion the first step is to remove part of the Bonnet control structure and let Lake Pontchartrain be transitioned into being a swamp instead of being a lake. We should also evacuate or elevate all human structures in the flood plain and remove the levees so the river can refresh that land with new silt deposits. In the process of these two events the Mississippi will shift about 80 percent of its flow to the Atchafalaya course in about 20 years, but it wont stop pushing some water down the old Mississippi, it just wont push nearly as much except during floods. That isn't something we should be fighting, it is something we should be adapting to.

Over the past week the Army Corps of Engineers has continued to open more flood bays each day and as of yesterday they were up to 148 out of 350 possible.
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

The Mississippi River now stands at 16.4 feet at the Carrollton gauge as of 7 a.m. Wednesday.

The river was supposed to hit 17 feet Tuesday night but is taking longer to crest than expected.

The Army Corps of Engineers has now opened 148 bays of the Bonnet Carre Spillway as of Wednesday morning.

The Corps started the process last week in order to relieve the pressure of the river levees downstream.

This is the fourth time in 10 calendar years that the Corps has opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway.

Crews are on watch for when the river hits the 17 feet mark.

LINK
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deluge Thread 2018

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:44:21

Yeah, that situation on the lower Mississippi hasn't gotten much press. Thanks for staying on top of it. Meanwhile: https://watchers.news/2018/03/18/widesp ... s-injured/

Widespread floods hit Kenya, at least 19 killed and scores injured

Also, I wasn't aware just how much of NYC was prone to flooding in the event of a hurricane:

Half of New York City is now designated a hurricane evacuation zone.

https://twitter.com/cityatlas/status/974794493806424069

...The history of the city is partly to blame; much of the expansion was into former wetlands, or landfill dumped into the harbor & then built on. Perimeter of Lower Manhattan was thus made wider than the natural island.

... the stat is 147 square miles, which is approximately half of NYC's land area. Here's is the Office of Emergency Management map; the colored areas are the evac zones. http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/p ... nglish.pdf

https://twitter.com/cityatlas/status/974837481014267904
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby diemos » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 13:45:58

ROCKMAN wrote:None of which proves the majority of the weather models are wrong. But being in the majority also doesn't prove they are correct either, does it?

In the end reality is correct, a model is just your best estimate for what that reality is.

Thus the famous saying, "All models are wrong but some are useful."

And my obscure saying, "Truth is not a democracy and it is not a popularity contest. Something is true if it is true, regardless of how many people do or don't believe in it." Something which fundamentally goes against the nature of human beings as herd thinkers.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 15:35:05

dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 16:06:43

Fresh news on the Mississippi front, the river is not receding as previously predicted and even more bays of the floodway have been opened by the army Corp of Engineers. There is a video in the article linked below the quote that would not play for me, but the brief glimpse at the beginning before it crashed of Lake Pontchartrain showing sediment was interesting. My internet is the end of the line and not very fast so when I am forced t watch a video in high definition it frequently crashes.

Army Corps opens more bays on Spillway, lake filling up with river water; Fresh water from the river is now flowing at a rate of about 192-thousand cubic feet per second through the Spillway into brackish Lake Pontchartrain.

The Mississippi River in New Orleans hit flood stage, 17 feet, at the Carrollton Gauge, Monday morning.

The Army Corps of Engineers opened additional sections of the Bonnet Carre Spillway in an attempt to keep the level at or below flood stage downriver. So far, 183 of the 350 bays on the mile-wide Spillway are open.

Fresh water from the river is now flowing at a rate of about 192-thousand cubic feet per second through the Spillway into brackish Lake Pontchartrain.

Stephen Dematteo ran his crab traps on Monday. He says the cold and dirty river water is pushing crabs out of the lake.

"It definitely dropped off right when they opened (the Spillway)," Dematteo said. "We're hoping that they close it within the next week or so."

Dematteo arrived at the dock in Kenner's Laketown with only two boxes of crabs.

"Normally, we'll catch anywhere from seven to 10 pans on a decent day," Dematteo said.

Slidell-based charter captain Mike Gallo says there are still fish to be caught in the lake, if you know where to look.

"It will be dirty on the south shore first," Gallo said. "There will be pockets of clean water along the north shore. It will confine those fish for a short time and then they'll move east as the dirty water moves east, also."

Coastal scientist John Lopez from the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation is monitoring effects from the Spillway opening.

"So, that plume is coming out of the Spillway and then moving eastward, kind of along the Kenner, New Orleans Lakefront," Lopez said. "The river water is starting to fill up Lake Pontchartrain. It's probably only half full of river water."

As the Army Corps of Engineers opens additional sections of the Spillway, Lopez doesn't expect any long-term negative effects on the lake.

"We are monitoring the basic water quality going in there," Lopez said. "We'll be monitoring for algae blooms in the next few months."

There's some evidence a Spillway opening can actually stimulate the lake fisheries. It's something Charter Captain Gallo is expecting.

"It sort of replenishes the lake and the bait supply which all of the predators that we tend to catch feed on," Gallo said.

Fish are expected to move into Lake Borne, then the Mississippi Sound and Biloxi Marsh until the Spillway closes and Lake Pontchartrain returns to normal.

LINK
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate