Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Iran Thread Pt. 6

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Protests turn political in Iran as rallies spread

Unread postby dissident » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 21:54:46

After the regime change they will be getting less food for higher prices and not making a single squeak.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Iran protests

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 23:16:54

I had not seen anything in the news about this until today. A true reform movement to remove the clerics from power would be quite a game changer in Iran. Something that bears watching.

More at link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42524610

They began three days ago - initially in protest at falling living standards - and are the biggest show of dissent since huge pro-reform rallies in 2009.

Demonstrators have ignored a warning by Iran's interior minister to avoid "illegal gatherings".

Two demonstrators are reported dead in Dorud after sustaining gunshot wounds in a video posted on social media.

Videos filmed elsewhere in the country show protesters setting fire to a police vehicles and there are reports of attacks on government buildings.

Although small, the anti-government protests on Saturday took on a much greater importance than the government-sponsored rallies.

It's not every day that there are thousands of people voicing opposition to the government.

As night fell, reports were still coming of protests in at least nine cities. There have been clashes with the police in some places.

The common factor in all of them has been protesters' demand for an end to clerical rule in Iran.

Widespread discontent is not limited to complaints about rising prices or widespread unemployment.

It has been an eye-opening three days for the government, which has been careful not to provoke the protesters too much
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Sat 30 Dec 2017, 23:23:24

The protestors want an end to the rule of the clerics. Something any rational person would want I would think.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

US State Department Hints At Iran Overthrow: Are We Witnessi

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 11:55:43

The US State Department has issued a formal condemnation of the Iranian government following two days of economic protests centering in a handful of cities, calling the regime "a rogue state whose chief exports are violence, bloodshed, and chaos" while announcing support for protesters. It fits a familiar script which seems to roll out when anyone protests for any reason in a country considered an enemy of the United States (whether over economic grievances or full on calling for government overthrow). Map via The Daily Mail The statement by spokesperson Heather Nauert, released late on Friday, further comes very close to calling for regime change in Iran when it asserts the following: On June 14, 2017, Secretary Tillerson testified to Congress that he supports "those elements inside of Iran that would lead to a peaceful transition of government.Those elements are there, certainly as we

US State Department Hints At Iran Overthrow: Are We Witnessing The Early Stages Of Regime Change?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dissident » Sun 31 Dec 2017, 13:27:40

https://twitter.com/ferozwala/status/947400433781395458

Typical propaganda to push the narrative.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: +++The Iranian counter Revolution Thread +++

Unread postby M_B_S » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 04:17:34

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018 IRAN ?!

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/fore ... l-dignity/

Iran is convulsing with the largest mass uprising since the 2009 Green Movement. Demonstrations that began last week in the city of Mashhad, home to the shrine of the eighth Shiite imam, have now spread to dozens of cities. And while the slogans initially addressed inflation, joblessness, and graft, they soon morphed into outright opposition to the mullahs. As we write, the authorities have blocked access to popular social-media sites and closed off subway stations in the capital, Tehran, to prevent crowd sizes from growing. At least 12 people have been killed in clashes with security forces.

THE REVOLUTION starts with blood....

2018 <=> 1918 ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agiAnRYrrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pyOApYPMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pyOAp ... pYPMc&t=83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNa_4Ox ... 5pyOApYPMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7uPolcbsc

VIVE LA REVOLUTION
MUSIC ON!
One Hour of Music - International Brigades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PAClWb86YE
More:
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/d ... 48238.html
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:37:48

A phony colour revolution designed to install another Shah. The west lost all credibility regarding Iran's democracy in 1953 when it subverted a real democratic government installed its cookie-cutter banana republic despot. The 1979 Salafi revolution was the direct fault of the west and its meddling in 1953. The west's two-faced meddling is clearly apparent now.

Compare the coverage of Iran to all the coddling that Saudi Arabia receives. And you expect to be taken for your word?
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:43:40

dissident wrote:A phony colour revolution designed to install another Shah. The west lost all credibility regarding Iran's democracy in 1953 when it subverted a real democratic government installed its cookie-cutter banana republic despot. The 1979 Salafi revolution was the direct fault of the west and its meddling in 1953. The west's two-faced meddling is clearly apparent now.

Compare the coverage of Iran to all the coddling that Saudi Arabia receives. And you expect to be taken for your word?

Would you want to be ruled by Ayatollahs and subject to arrest by religious police for violating religious laws?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby M_B_S » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 03:40:25

HUNGRY FOR CHANGE

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle ... he-streets

The BBC's Rana Rahimpour explains what the protesters are demanding and how the government has responded amid shifting international attitudes to the country.....
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Oil And Iran

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:22:22

The world Is watching and so is oil as the death toll rises in the streets of Iran, where the people revolt against a terrible economy and the lack of any real freedoms and rights. At least 19 people were reported killed in street protests in Iran, while President Hassan Rouhani on one hand defended their right to protest but on the other hand warned he would show "no tolerance" for those who incite unrest. Many arrests have been made and the government of Iran says it may seek the death penalty, for what they say are crimes against God, in demonstrations that have gone on for over 5 days in a row. President Trump tweeted that ”Iran is failing at every level despite the terrible deal made with them by the Obama Administration. The great Iranian people have been repressed

Oil And Iran
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Iran Thread pt5

Unread postby dolanbaker » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 20:41:44

It appears that the protests have been snuffed out using the same tactics that succeeded in Turkey last year, call for the people to go out onto the streets and support the government.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42556729
The head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards has declared the defeat of the "sedition" in the country, referring to a wave of anti-government protests.

Maj Gen Mohammad Ali Jafari made the announcement as tens of thousands of people attended pro-government rallies called to counter the unrest.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Ex-Iranian president Ahmadinejad arrested for inciting unres

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:31:30

According to Arab paper, former leader's comments against Rouhani government amid rallies have led authorities to seek to place him under house arrest Former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been arrested by authorities for allegedly inciting unrest against the government, the London-based daily Al-Quds Al-Arabi reported Saturday, citing “reliable sources in Tehran.” The newspaper said that Ahmadinejad, during a visit to the western city of Bushehr on December 28, said, “Some of the current leaders live detached from the problems and concerns of the people, and do not know anything about the reality of society.” He supposedly added that Iran was suffering from “mismanagement” and that the government of President Hassan Rouhani “believes that they own the land and that the people are an ignorant society.” According to Al-Quds Al-Arabi, Ahmadinejad’s comments, which came as anti-government protests over the economy were heating up, led

Ex-Iranian president Ahmadinejad arrested for inciting unrest

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Iran Can Boost Output Fast If OPEC Ends Cuts

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 00:22:38

Country can add 100,000 barrels daily within a week: Zanaganeh OPEC, allied suppliers to meet in June to assess crude market Bijan Namdar Zanganeh Photographer: Akos Stiller/Bloomberg Iran can swiftly increase production of crude if OPEC decides to scrap limits on global output when the group meets next in June, Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh said. The Persian Gulf nation can raise daily production by at least 100,000 barrels within “five or six days” if the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries decides that crude prices are high enough to justify abandoning its oil-cuts accord with other producers, he told reporters in Tehran. “We’re always adding to our production levels, from West Karoun and Azadegan,” Zanganeh said Sunday, referring to two oil-producing areas in western Iran near the Iraq border. Iran has so far exercised “self-restraint” in pumping to accommodate the group’s decision in November

Iran Can Boost Output Fast If OPEC Ends Cuts

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 05 Feb 2018, 09:49:49

Pffft 100,000 barrels sounds great but the frackers add that every month. Iran has a hard limit to hw mch they can ncrease near where they are pumping now while the Frackers still have room to grow.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 15:02:43

Wonder how they like them apples.

https://apnews.com/8740cd7cc98646fa883984e03cea178b

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration on Friday announced the reimposition of all U.S. sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal, ramping up economic pressure on the Islamic Republic as President Donald Trump completed the unraveling of what had been one of his predecessor’s signature foreign policy achievements.

The sanctions, which will take effect on Monday, cover Iran’s shipping, financial and energy sectors and are the second batch the administration has reimposed since Trump withdrew from the landmark accord in May. The rollback ends U.S. participation in the nuclear deal, which now hangs in the balance as Iran no longer enjoys any relief from sanctions imposed by the world’s largest economy.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Fri 02 Nov 2018, 16:31:59

You know pstarr, you should read your own linked articles on occasion. The waivers are temporary so they can line up other suppliers. :oops:

Two of the countries granted special waivers to continue buying crude from Tehran already have reduced their purchases to near zero, Mr. Pompeo said. They will be given “weeks” to eliminate their Iranian imports, he said. The other six also are reducing their imports, he said
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 11 Nov 2018, 17:35:50

I don't think the sanctions will add up to much, too many countries out there will buy black market. The only way to make it stick would be to blockade the coast and nobody is willing to actually do that.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Iran Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 12 Nov 2018, 04:55:48

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, a notorious anti-Semite who recently compared Jewish people to termites, led a "Death to America" chant Sunday during a solidarity trip to Iran.

Farrakhan's trip came ahead of the Trump administration's re-implementation of U.S. sanctions against the Islamic Republic on Monday.

Speaking to law school students at the University of Tehran, the 85-year-old Farrakhan said “America has never been a democracy,” and also led a “Death to Israel” chant at the end of his talk, according to Iranian news agencies.

“Today, I warn the American government that sanctioning Iran is a big mistake,” he said at a meeting with the Secretary of Iran’s Expediency Council, Mohsen Rezaei. Farrakhan noted his belief America is conspiring against Iran.

Farrakhan's trip coincided with the 39th anniversary of the 1979 seizure of the U.S. embassy in Tehran, when more than 50 American diplomats and civilians were held hostage for 444 days. The incident kicked off the Islamic Revolution, and Farrakhan told an Iranian audience that black Americans should be considered among the revolutionaries. The infamous activist cited the actions of Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khomeni, who ordered the release of black Americans among the 1979 captives.

Video of Farrakhan leading a “Death to America” chant once again sparked calls for Democratic leaders to distance themselves from the controversial figure. Several prominent Democrats, including former President Barack Obama, have interacted or taken pictures with Farrakhan.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 17:44:48

Although the three-nation summit did not get much press in the West, its emergence is a signal, albeit a quiet one, that Eurasia’s geopolitical landscape is undergoing major changes.

On February 14, 2019, leaders from three of Eurasia’s major powers met at Russia’s Black Sea resort of Sochi to discuss Syria. In attendance were the host, President Vladimir Putin, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani. While Syria was the main focus of the meeting, the summit represents an important development in Eurasian affairs, the increasing convergence of national interests between Iran, Russia and Turkey.

Although the three nation summit did not get much press in the West, its emergence is a signal, albeit a quiet one, that Eurasia’s geopolitical landscape is undergoing major changes as traditional rivals are more inclined to work together to achieve common goals in an anti-Western, pro-autocratic and quite possibly a cautious-toward-China policy mix. This is significant as Eurasia appears to be where the major geopolitical drama of the twenty-first century is playing out, a massive chessboard with plenty of moving pieces. No doubt the Sultans, Shahs and Tsars of the pre-1914 world would have recognized the dangers of a fluid geopolitical landscape.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

Unread postby Cog » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 17:54:58

Does this mean we can kick Turkey out of NATO now?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion