Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Technology can solve all problems...

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: Technology can solve all problems...

Unread postby GHung » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:49:27

Interesting, Don, and seemingly spot on. My first thoughts go back to the late '80s show "Max Headroom", when it was forbidden to turn the TV off. Virtually all information/noise was controlled by the corporate media, and TV was mandatory. Some aspects of the theme were so prescient that some thought the show was intentionally put up against Miami Vice and Dallas so it would fail in the ratings.

Max Headroom was the first cyberpunk series to run in the United States on one of the main broadcast networks in prime time, although it was not tagged with that label until some time after its cancellation. Like other science fiction, the series introduced the general public to new ideas in the form of cyberpunk themes and social issues. The series portrayed the Blanks, a counter-culture group of people who lived without any official numbers or documentation for the sake of privacy. Various episodes delved into issues like literacy and the lack thereof in a TV-dominated culture (for example, in the episode "Body Banks", Blank Reg says: "It's a book. It's a non-volatile storage medium. It's very rare. You should 'ave one." This statement also anticipates the mid-2000s controversy over the replacement of print by online and e-book sources.)

Of Max Headroom himself, actor Matt Frewer told Rolling Stone magazine that "The cool thing about playing Max is that you can say virtually anything because theoretically the guy's not real, right? Can't sue a computer!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_(TV_series)

Another commentary on media addiction and the dumbing-down of society is "Idiocracy".
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 15:27:38

donstewart wrote:A question posed by Mr. Hill’s graphs is why accumulated oil production and GDP has diverged from the historical relationship.

Not a question at all Don, some of us even knew it before reality invalidated it for the slow learners.

donstewart wrote: I believe that a newly published book may shed some light on the subject: The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World, by Gazzaley and Rosen. Gazzaley is a neuroscientist and Rosen is a psychologist.

I don't think it will shed any light on the math whatsoever Don. You see, neuroscience and psychology has nothing to do with the deliberate misrepresentation of oil field practice, making up numbers and cherry picking information to feed a preconceived conclusion, random correlations or their measure within time series data, none of it. On the other hand, THIS has more than something to do with it, as a general concept it covers nearly all of it.

Now, if you are intimating that there is some sort of brain damage, ignorance, some type of psychological defect that the authors suffered from that caused them to make up numbers, cherry pick information, assign random equations and pretend they are predictive, well that might be so. But it is unlikely that the authors of your book had a chance to evaluate those authors for brain or psychological defects, so no, it probably doesn't shed any light at all on the subject.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 15:36:23

GHung wrote:Interesting, Don, and seemingly spot on. My first thoughts go back to the late '80s show "Max Headroom", when it was forbidden to turn the TV off. Virtually all information/noise was controlled by the corporate media, and TV was mandatory. Some aspects of the theme were so prescient that some thought the show was intentionally put up against Miami Vice and Dallas so it would fail in the ratings.

Another commentary on media addiction and the dumbing-down of society is "Idiocracy".

Indeed. Are you hinting that Don and you joined this club as far back as that, and peak oil was just one of the things you fell for along the way? Because I don't recall Short at any time claiming that the random number generator had anything to do with psychological defects, his or anyone else's, or the idiocracy of the audience. Now, he might have been counting on this effect in you and Don in order to pitch a sale? That makes perfect sense, but others have disagreed with me that the monetary motive was the primary purpose of the random number generator.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby donstewart » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:12:44

@Adam B
I will spend zero time responding to your accusations against Mr. Hill.

As for the limited content of your post. The phenomenon is not new.

Carl Sandburg:
Time is the coin of you life.
You spend it.
Do not allow others to spend it for you.

Paddy Chayefsky:
Television is not the truth. Television's a goddamned amusement park. Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, sideshow freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom killing business.

Sherry Turkle:
Technology doesn't just do things for us. It does things to us, changing not just what we do but who we are.

If you want evidence of how profoundly the recent explosion of information (signal and noise) is damaging our ability to achieve goals, check out the book. The finals chapter give some ideas about what individuals and societies can do about it.

Don Stewart
donstewart
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:31:25

donstewart wrote:If you want evidence of how profoundly the recent explosion of information (signal and noise) is damaging our ability to achieve goals, check out the book.

Don, you are a classic internet cherry-picker ("Ugo Bardi" says this, Ugo says that) so don't scold us on this topic.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GHung » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:31:49

AdamB wrote:....Indeed. Are you hinting that Don and you joined this club as far back as that, and peak oil was just one of the things you fell for along the way? Because I don't recall Short at any time claiming that the random number generator had anything to do with psychological defects, his or anyone else's, or the idiocracy of the audience. Now, he might have been counting on this effect in you and Don in order to pitch a sale? That makes perfect sense, but others have disagreed with me that the monetary motive was the primary purpose of the random number generator.

Indeed. Yet another case of Adam's pathological need to warp every conversation back to his obsession with his feud over Short's model, which this has absolutely nothing at all to do with.

Meanwhile, unless Adam can point to any comment at all where I've supported, or claimed the validity of, the ETP model, I'll suggest he just STFU. The whole issue has gotten as ridiculous as Adam is. One would hope he has better things to do than build strawmen and try to get others to join in his insanity day after day, but it is very apparent his life revolves around creating conflicts that don't exist. I suppose it gives him some sort of sick dopamine rush.

Must really suck being Adam, who has nothing better to do.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:57:29

Ghung - Or to modify the thoughts of the ancients: idle minds are the devil's work shop. LOL.

Just a thought from an idle mind.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby diemos » Wed 24 Jan 2018, 16:45:12

We already have the technology to solve all our problems ... it's called a condom.

It's just that we don't have the will to use it and never will since that would go against our evolutionary imperatives.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology