Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Natural Gas Thread Pt. 2

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Natural Gas Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 15:52:15

GG
The intraday price yesterday at Transco Zone 6 actually hit $175/mmbtu.
This is WHOLESALE pricing.

Wanna see the difference some pipelines can make?
Story today on Cleveland.com by John Funk, plain dealer, describing RESDENTIAL rates for Dominion's Ohio customers of $3.07/mmbtu ... falling next week to $2.74/mmbtu.
At 18 Mcf/month average household useage, customers will pay about 60 bucks for heat and hot water.

The folks in New England who stymied pipeline buildout are showing the world the consequences of their choices.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 16:51:15

GoghGoner wrote:Record spot prices and future prices drop. Traders are looking ahead to warmer weather. Can't wait to see next week's inventory drop.

http://247wallst.com/energy-economy/2018/01/05/natural-gas-sets-new-price-record-ahead-of-northeast-storm/

At the major pipeline feeding New York City, Transco’s Zone 6, natural gas prices averaged $140.06 per million BTUs on Thursday, a jump of more than $91 per million BTUs in a single day. Thursday’s national average spot price rose by about $6 to $16.78.

According to Natural Gas Intelligence (NGI), Wednesday’s was the highest price spot price ever recorded in the United States. Before then, the highest price paid for a million BTUs was $125 in the “polar-vortex” winter of 2013–2014.

Really. You're going to claim a spot shortage during a record coal spell implies what? (Not doom of course, since even though you're a doomer you get your feelings hurt if someone calls you on it.) So go ahead - you tell us -- what are you implying beyond a short term localized price spike due to a record weather event?

And what inventory drop specifically would that be in a world awash in natural gas? Because somehow, in the big scheme of things, I can't imagine it being significant, despite whatever FUD you're trying to sell.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 09:27:14

I don't disagree with Coffeeguy that this is a localized price spike due to politics. That is definitely a valid point. Spot prices were up in all major regions but that is expected during an Arctic blast. It looks like we are past the blast and ng traders are focused on the warming trend which I hope they are right since I am sick and tired of the cold weather. If I was going to bet on the futures right now, I would be bullish on prices since inventories are lower than the five-year average and weather is unpredictable. I don't see any shortages developing this winter since supply is more than ample.

In the future, I don't see such a rosy picture for the US consumer. Companies like RRC are not profitable at these prices and demand is forecasted to keep increasing. The decline rates for these wells is very high and any slowdown in drilling causes an almost immediate impact on supply. We have built and continue to build so much infrastructure around the Appalachian region that is more and more dependent on this finite resource. This boom and bust has happened before but times changes and our debt-ridden economy may be more fragile than ever. I'll be watching and learning from whatever happens here.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 15:58:34

GG
We will all be watching events unfold as having ample supplies of affordable energy is a very real life and death situation for so many in brutal wintertime conditions.

From my several years' observations on Appalachian Basin supply ...

Check out Enno's site for well performance for 2016/2017 wells in Susquehanna, Greene, Washington and Bradford counties.
Not only is the initial production extremely high, output is strong for many months.
Range has been severely impacted by the delays in the Mariner East 2 and 2X pipeline build out.
For contrast, watch the production numbers for EQT in 2018 as they plan on dozens of 15,000 foot long laterals now that the Rice acquisition has provided significant contiguous acreage.

Should you go to Ohio's oilandgas site from their DNR, you can see a mini explosion in production numbers as well as an expansion into Jefferson and Harrison counties.

One of the bigger 'sleeper' issues in the AB is the subdued expansion of the productive fairway arcing from southwest towards northeast.

XTO just drilled, not yet brought online, a Utica well in Armstrong county, northeast of Pittsburgh.
This large area has been grossly under developed for many reasons - and will probably never rival Susquehannah/Bradford counties, but the Deep Utica continues to surprise to the upside along the north central tier.

Seneca just announced they will exclusively target the Utica in their areas of Elk, McKean and Cameron counties.

There should be many, many decades of high production to come. (DOE recent report on NGLs - a Primer - pegs AB output approaching 50 Bcfd in future. Excellent report to read, IMHO).
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GoghGoner » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 13:04:20

Wow, another record. That was one hell of a cold snap and we are using more NG than ever.

https://www.ft.com/content/95820496-0837-3b0f-b777-f080aedd09fc

The US withdrew a record volume of natural gas from storage last week as extreme cold froze cities from Chicago to Boston.

Gas inventories fell by 359bn cubic feet to 2.767tn cu ft in the week to last Friday, the Energy Information Administration said in a report. The weekly decline was a quarter larger than the previous record drop of 288bn cu ft in January 2014.

GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 14:11:05

Tanada wrote:-snip-

The reason so many thousands of gas burning electric plants have been built is mostly economic, directly from the cost of the fuel and indirectly from the ease of permitting a gas burner compared to a coal burner.

Take away the permitting obstacles and bring the price of natural gas above the 2000 price on a long term consistent basis and there is zero economic incentive to not build new coal burners. Thus IMO the decline in coal burning is fully dependent on Natural Gas remaining cheap on the BTU basis.

Actually the main reason is related to what you said. A coal plant when built could use only coal fuel. But it's relatively cheap to convert such an existing plant to burn either coal or natural gas or some mix of both fuels. However, these plants retain the coal pulverizers, conveyor feeds, and the blowers that create efficient vortex combustion of coal dust. The Edgewater Generating Station in Shenoygan WI is an example of such. It went through a years-long conversion process in anticipation of the EPA clean air regulations, which were enacted by Obama via Executive Order when he could not get Congress to pass the legislation. Of course, one of Trump's first actions was to repeal that EO with one of his own.

The major expense in converting an existing coal plant to run coal/NG is the cost of the gas main construction, the boiler retrofit is fairly quick and cheap and easy. Many plants such as Edgewater went back online burning gas because it's dirt cheap right now as you noted, and the most expensive and labor-intensive operations task on a coal plant is servicing the stack scrubbers of coal ash. This task is virtually zero'd out when you burn NG.
The Edgewater facility is now an Alliant Energy Center and finished the conversion to dual fuel in 2013. It has primarily burned NG since the conversion, but retains both the coal capability and the ability to offload coal from either railroad cars or barges from Lake Michigan.

The biggest problem of course is the "deathprint" associated with coal burning. Edgewater originally went online in 1931 and has been spewing coal effluents into the air for 85+ years, releasing heavy metal toxics and even radioactivity into the environment, and this "deathprint" is at least 50 miles from the plant in all directions. These contaminants end up in our food supplies, after being absorbed by corn and soy and other crops, then concentrated by the cattle who eat such feeds and then produce dairy and beef for human consumption.

In Edgewater's case, it used to burn a 50/50 mix of Ohio and Illinois anthracite coal, delivered by barge. Nowadays it uses Wyoming lignite from the Powder River Basin and Thunder River Basin mines, delivered by rail, when it burns coal or a mixture of coal/NG. These moist brown coals tend to have a high sulfur content and would produce excessive acid rain in the absence of stack scrubbing.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 15:19:09

Michigan had some issues with acid rain back in the early 1980's but because their is so much limestone rock in the state it was never a major issue the way it was in say Vermont and New Hampshire where the surface rock layer is more often Granite than Limestone or Dolomite. The biggest issue in Michigan is the tremendous damage the acid rain did and does to soft building stone. Many old buildings and a large percentage of tombstones in cemeteries are made of Marble or white Limestone. You can travel to grand Rapids or Detroit and look at older marble statuary that has an eroded surface, almost as if the artist never finished carving it. In cemeteries all over the midwest from at least Wisconsin to Ohio anyhow you can tell which way the prevailing wind carries rain because the tombstones facing into the wind are often eroded to the point of being illegible, some so bad they almost appear blank.

IOW I am fully in favor of (if you must use coal) requiring the lowest sulfur coal available be used and stack scrubbing being strongly enforced. Most stack scrubbing is done by essentially grinding limestone into flour and mixing it into water to make a milky looking liquid, then continuously spraying the exhaust fumes with the lime water cooling it and causing the chemical reaction that converts sulfur dioxide into calcium sulfate aka gypsum. It also tends to wash out the fly ash as part of the process so it has multiple benefits because the fly ash is where most of the Thorium and Uranium dust is.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 11 Jan 2018, 15:50:37

Right you are. Just about anything's better than this:
I have decided that I will avoid living near any coal plants, say a 20 mile radius, and maybe a bit more on the prevailing downwind side. However I have NO PROBLEM with nuclear power. I am seriously interested in the Lake Michigan coast between the decommissioned Kewaunee Power Plant and the still operational Point Beach Power Plant. Unlike many areas of LM coast, people have tended to avoid the two nuclear plants. There is some beautiful and completely unspoiled coastline there, either agricultural or second growth forest. I love a nice sand beach.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 08:01:15

EIA put out an interesting graph in their weekly. The difference b/w 2000-2014 usage is probably about 1/3rd of the difference b/w 2014-2018. In other words, demand capacity has skyrocketed the last 4 years. We have had some mild winters so it masked this latent appetite for ng. It seems like there is almost infinite demand for natural gas at prices below $3.00. Above $3 and coal starts to look appealing.

GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 12:09:43

Good graph, I think it demonstrates the continuing boom in natural gas burning power stations across North America. It is as if the price projections that Natural Gas will remain both cheap and abundant in North America are accepted as word from on high and can not be wrong, which may turn out to be a tragic error in judgement. Those duel fueled plants KaiserJeep points to are becoming less and less of the overall mix so if prices go to say $5/therm from the current low for any reason long term a few plants can switch back to coal, but the growing majority are gas or nothing. Well that isn't quite true, they can also burn jet fuel, but that is hardly a lower cost option than gas even at $5/therm.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 12:21:34

It is as if the price projections that Natural Gas will remain both cheap and abundant in North America are accepted as word from on high and can not be wrong, which may turn out to be a tragic error in judgement.

I believe a while ago I posted a study by the EIA that indicates natural gas prices in the US will rise as it becomes a net exporter over the next few years mainly due to all of the LNG terminals that are in the various commissioning stages. I also mentioned that years ago one of the companies I was with did a global inventory analysis of discovered gas and gas that was known to exist along with global demand based on various regions. The outcome was that once LNG shipping became a standard means of egress the world would migrate to a global natural gas price of about $6.00 per MCF. That will take some time of course but in the short term increased gas exports from the US will have an upwards pressure on domestic prices.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 13:15:06

Yes, LNG exports will be increasing. But since 2000 pipeline exports to Mexico have increased from almost nothing to 1.38 TRILLION cf in 2016. In fact it nearly double from 2014 to 2016:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n9132mx2a.htm

In 2016 pipeline exports to Mexico and Canada were more then 11X greater then all LNG exports. As Doc said LNG exports from the US will be increasing. But for the time being pricing completion is set by our domestic and foreign pipeline buyers. And a big factor will be the ability of Mexico to sustain and increase its ability to buy our NG.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 13:23:38

Yup the EIA study specifically mentions egress of natural gas to MX. But to some extent that is offset by Canadian natural gas imports. The wildcard will be how much and how quickly MX can start to produce more gas from the Burgos basin which can go into their plans for gas to power.
I guess the bottom line is that all of that gas in the US in the short term will see more use via exports than domestic consumption, that should drive prices higher.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 13:24:12

rockdoc123 wrote:
It is as if the price projections that Natural Gas will remain both cheap and abundant in North America are accepted as word from on high and can not be wrong, which may turn out to be a tragic error in judgement.

I believe a while ago I posted a study by the EIA that indicates natural gas prices in the US will rise as it becomes a net exporter over the next few years mainly due to all of the LNG terminals that are in the various commissioning stages. I also mentioned that years ago one of the companies I was with did a global inventory analysis of discovered gas and gas that was known to exist along with global demand based on various regions. The outcome was that once LNG shipping became a standard means of egress the world would migrate to a global natural gas price of about $6.00 per MCF. That will take some time of course but in the short term increased gas exports from the US will have an upwards pressure on domestic prices.

Interesting, I am aware that China and Japan pay a lot per therm for LNG shipped in and once the export terminals are in operation the Natural Gas producers will be happy to sell to the LNG companies and make a better profit than they make selling to Joe6P and Jane6P, or the big industrial users like process heat industries (glass comes to mind) that soak up a lot of energy doing what they do. Power stations get talked about a lot because they have had a building boom recently, but there was plenty of industrial natural gas consumption before the recent building boom.

Any guesses in how long it will take for these LNG exporting facilities to all get completed and make Natural Gas a world commodity instead of just a regional one tied to pipeline networks? I know several middle Eastern nations are now exporting a lot of gas as LNG.

Hmm, just did a quick search of EIA and they have a graph on this page of USA LNG export prices, which plunged recently due to greater international competition.

GRAPH
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 13:50:46

Tanada wrote:Good graph, I think it demonstrates the continuing boom in natural gas burning power stations across North America. It is as if the price projections that Natural Gas will remain both cheap and abundant in North America are accepted as word from on high and can not be wrong, which may turn out to be a tragic error in judgement. Those duel fueled plants KaiserJeep points to are becoming less and less of the overall mix so if prices go to say $5/therm from the current low for any reason long term a few plants can switch back to coal, but the growing majority are gas or nothing. Well that isn't quite true, they can also burn jet fuel, but that is hardly a lower cost option than gas even at $5/therm.

Tanada, the stats can be confusing sometimes. The NG/jet fuel power plants are gas turbine "peaking" facilities, considerably less efficient than (base load) steam turbines, and ruinously expensive to refurbish - essentially large heavy gas turbines, also used on US Navy ships where they burn "Naval Fuel, Distillite", a fuel similar to jet fuel, but less refined and with different storage requirements and additives.

There ARE baseload power plants that burn NG, but these are Diesel engines, which get started on a thick grade of "bunker fuel" (actually HFO or "heavy fuel oil") that must be heated before being injected into the cylinders. But as the throttle is advanced to produce more power from the generator, they transition to NG fuel - which is cheap, but unsuitable for starting a diesel engine. These types of power plants are being built throughout the Middle East today in "tri-fuel" versions which burn HFO, LFO (light fuel oil) or NG.

There are relatively few gas-only steam plants. One is nearby on the California coast at Moss Landing. It was built back in the 1950's to use a new tech called "supercritical steam" which was also tried out in nuclear submarines. This didn't really compete in efficiency. Today Moss Landing uses "combined cycle" power generation, where gas-fuelled turbines send the hot exhaust through pipes in a steam boiler, which has a seperate supplimentary gas burner as well. These "combined cycle" setups tend to be complex and require a lot of maintenance, because the technology has only been around since about 2000, and is still being refined. However, "combined cycle" gas turbine/steam turbine units are 50% more efficient than either turbines or steam boilers alone. They also impact the environment less because much of the gas turbine exhaust heat is absorbed vaporizing water, and less cooling is required, and less waste heat is dumped into the salt water lagoon at Moss Landing.

KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Fri 12 Jan 2018, 17:44:53

KJ
CCGT plants are becoming the norm as about 24 in the 800 to 1,500 Mw capacity are being built in Ohio and Pennsylvania alone.
In fact , Virginia, the Carolinas, and Florida are well along in planning for these as the pipeline build out continues.

The LNG field is set for enormous disruption as the modular approach in infrastructure construction is being adopted by Tellurian and Bechtel in their massive Driftwood project.

On the near term horizon is the innovative work from the Norwegian outfit, Golar, who is either converting or doing new builds on a new generation of floating liquification plants (FLNGs).
Working with Delfin off Louisiana, they claim to offer - by far - the cheapest LNG anywhere.

As this floating approach becomes more accepted - both upstream in liquification and downstream in regassification via FSRUs - opportunities will explode across the globe.
Melbourne may be the site of a FSRU importing US gas.

Ports on Mexico's west like Manzanillo or Ensenada - just south of San Diego - have potential to pipe US gas (possibly from the semi-stranded Mancos) to be liquefied and shipped across the Big Pond.

The possibilities are endless as the US keeps producing extremely large amounts of natgas.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby GoghGoner » Tue 23 Jan 2018, 22:02:50

Big surge in futures today. Trading was temporarily paused while the exchange adjusted the limit. Looks like traders are banking on another Arctic blast. It is predicted to come in the first week of February. I am really sick of this winter but it looks like the pattern is sticking.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Thu 25 Jan 2018, 06:46:54

If New England gets hit with another 3 to 5 day blast of frigid weather, fuel supplies might be stressed significantly.
People from Vermont and New Hampshire were saying that residential heating fuel oil and propane were running low and resupply was spotty.
Even the Boston Globe editorialized about the acceptance of more natgas fueled power generation.

When New England's grid got 41% of its fuel from oil - as it did one day in early January - something is very much out of whack. (Hint, not enough pipeline to ship in gas).
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:46:33

coffee - Sounds like a good time to get caught up on the LNG news. Such as Boston getting Russian LNG and the plans to export more LNG out of the Gulf Coast hopefully (for the producers) raising the price of NG for the domestic consumers:

"The tanker carrying Russian natural gas that's been sitting outside of Boston Harbor for days will probably land over the weekend, according to the U.S. Coast Guard."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/united_states/lng_lpg/

"Total said on Wednesday it has acquired the upstream liquefied natural gas (LNG) interests of French power and gas utility Engie for around $1.5 billion, in a deal which is set to make it the world's second largest player in the LNG market, with a 10 percent share."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/franc ... 5-article/

"Italy-based Edison, a major electricity supplier in Europe, has reached a 20-year sales and purchase agreement (SPA) to source liquefied natural gas (LNG) from Venture Global Calcasieu Pass, LLC, Venture Global announced Wednesday. Under the SPA, Edison will purchase 1 million tons per annum of LNG from the Calcasieu Pass LNG export facility that Venture Global is developing in Cameron Parish, La., Venture Global stated. Venture Global, which noted that Edison will purchase the gas on a free on board basis, added that it expects Calcasieu Pass to start commercial operation in 2021."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/ ... _customer/

FYI. Free on board contract: In an LNG FOB contract, the buyer lifts the LNG from the liquefaction plant and is responsible for transporting the LNG to the receiving terminal. The buyer is responsible for the shipping, either owning the LNG ships or chartering them from a shipowner. In a FOB contract, the seller requires assurance that the shipping protocols provide a safe and reliable off-take for the LNG to prevent disruption to the sales and purchase agreement.

Just as the contracts Chenier has signed in the past: the LNG is sold at the cost of the NG and the transport cost plus a fixed profit margin. As mentioned before these very expensive LNG plants are built without long term fixed contracts that will assure the infrastructure investment will be profitable.

"LNG deliveries to Trafigura, one of the biggest independent traders of the fuel, will begin in 2019, Cheniere said."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/united_states/lng_lpg/

"The Honghua Group Limited has awarded Wood a $12 million front-end engineering design (FEED) contract for its liquefied natural gas (LNG) platform development in the West Delta area of the Gulf of Mexico, Wood announced Tuesday. According to Wood, the FEED’s primary objective will be to finalize the design of the world’s first offshore platform-based natural gas liquefaction and storage facility. The company noted that it recently completed the project’s pre-FEED work."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/wood_to_de ... 5-article/

"The developer of an LNG export terminal in Oregon that has already twice been denied permits by U.S. regulators is giving it another shot. Veresen Inc. said late Thursday that it filed another application with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for the $10 billion Jordan Cove LNG terminal that would ship gas to Asia. The agency said the project wasn’t needed in March 2016, and rejected Veresen’s appeal in December. In its latest request, the Calgary-based company proposed route changes for a pipeline to feed the terminal and eliminated plans for a power plant."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/ ... ther_shot/

"The United States is proposing to speed up approval of small-scale exports of natural gas, including liquefied natural gas (LNG), the U.S. Department of Energy said in a statement released on Friday. The department said the proposed rule would "expedite the review and approval of applications to export small amounts of natural gas in the emerging small-scale LNG export market," which it said includes the Caribbean, Central America and South America."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/ ... tural_gas/

And last but not least: " President Donald Trump’s effort to boost U.S. energy is facing push back from manufacturers who say exporting more natural gas may undercut his “America First” jobs focus."

https://www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/ ... facturers/
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sun 28 Jan 2018, 00:12:30

Rock

Hope things are going well for you.
Some "stuff" regarding LNG ...

Modularization continues to appear in the construction of LNG plants.
Elba is completely modular and the massive 27 mtpa plant from Tellurian and Bechtel - at a cost of $15+ billion is going to rock their competitors. (Check out cost/capacity for Gladstone, Yamal, Prelude.) Big advantage for Tellurian.

The floaters may well surpass land based with Golnar continuing to innovate.
They are planning to put 4 FLNG plants off Looeezeeannaa with 13 mtpa capacity at $5/6 billion cost.
Huge fit to these units are the floating regassifiers (FSRU) which could set up all over the globe on somewhat short notice with impermanent status.

I cannot locate the report on some recent serendipitously discovered process to manufacture MOFs way cheaper and WAY higher capacity than before, but some fuzzy heads stumbled across it a year ago.

I'm tellin' ya, RM, with all the talk about EVs, I think the possibility of Addorbed Nat Gas fueling vehicles is a lot closer to happenning than most realize.

There is an incredible amount of research and engineering being applied to this area.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion