Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

No Nukes - burn every hydrocarbon first!

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

No Nukes - burn every hydrocarbon first!

Unread postby Pops » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 13:07:17

Seven more projects have been halted because good old deregulation has reaffirmed profit as the only motive or rationale for any public infrastructure. It's like I've been saying, nukes are great, we'll just not build them in time to change climate change and we won't be able to afford to build them once hydrocarbon depletion takes hold.

The government is hardly the only one to question the economics of nuclear power right now. The would-be builders of seven reactors around the country have deferred their projects in the last few months.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/busin ... odayspaper
If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: No Nukes - burn every hydrocarbon first!

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 14:09:04

"nuclear reactors make no economic sense"

This final remark from your article tells it all.
Obviously it will change in the future and they will make an economic sense at some point again.

However at that point we will not have resources to build them.

Long live burnout!
EnergyUnlimited
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 14:39:40

How can they not be economic when nuke power is too cheap to meter? 8O
Ludi
Master
Master

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 15:12:40

Believe me, once we get Obamanation out of there, we will start building nuclear reactors. Caribou Barbie Palin will make sure of it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Serial_Worrier
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 15:13:57

I think Obama wants to return the USA to #1.

China has surpassed the USA in CO2emissions....the only way the USA can be #1 again is to shut down all the nuke power plants and projects, and start building "clean coal" and "clean gas" power plants until our glorious all-American CO2 production once again leads the world!!!

"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 15:41:58

I'm pretty sure Obama wanted nuke plants....

Well, I guess he sorta did....

“Nuclear power represents more than 70 percent of our non-carbon generated electricity,” Obama says in his energy plan. “It is unlikely that we can meet our aggressive climate goals if we eliminate nuclear power as an option. However, before an expansion of nuclear power can be considered, key issues must be addressed including: security of nuclear fuel and waste, waste storage, and proliferation.”

http://environment.about.com/od/environ ... uclear.htm

Or not....

'The Malthusian quality of President Obama's ideological green "energy policy" is exposed in his drastically different Federal treatment of solar energy vs. nuclear power over the past two weeks.

A nuclear plant produces reliable, clean, continuous electrical power on a site 70-100 times smaller than the vast fields required for unreliable, intermittent solar or wind "farms." But Obama is now actively and heavily subsidizing the latter, while blocking the former.'

http://www.larouchepac.com/node/16055
Ludi
Master
Master

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 12 Oct 2010, 19:29:25

Ludi wrote:I'm pretty sure Obama wanted nuke plants....

Well, I guess he sorta did....

Exactly. Which is it?

Obama also wanted a new climate change treaty...right before he flew home from Copenhagen with none.

And once upon a time Obama said he wanted a cap and trade bill....but he never actually sent one to Congress.

And Obama was even against offshore drilling...before he was for expanding it along the entire east coast...before he shut it down...before he opened it up again.

Now Obama says nukes are OK, but they'll have to post almost a billion dollar bond before they can even begin to do anything else. Companies just can't afford to pay that, so that shuts down the US nuclear industry again. Coal-fired power plants which our destroying our planet's climate are A-OK with Obama---no bond needed. Want to do mountain removal and build a giant open pit coal mine? No bond needed. How about BP drilling an offshore well---no bond needed. But try to build a power plant that doesn't emit any carbon and so doesn't cause Greenhouse warming....now that MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!!

Obama's flip flops on nuclear power bring to mind Obama's many promises to create jobs.....the guy has lied so much there isn't much point in paying attention to what he says anymore because what he actually does will probably be quite different. :roll:
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:24:39

Of course the pseudo-greens hate nuclear power, it provdes cheaper steady power than their preffered intermittenent technologies!
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:48:25

8 year thread bumps accomplish little besides exposing more bad predictions. This one is wrong on multiple levels:

"Obamanation out of there, we will start building nuclear reactors. Caribou Barbie Palin will make sure of it."
“If and when the oil price skewers for 6 months or more substantially above the MAP, then I will concede the Etp is inherently flawed"
--Onlooker, 1/1/2018
asg70
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion