Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 04:23:28

Lucky we have a ‘stable genius’ to steer us safely away from Climate Chaos
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Climate Chaos Is Here Pt. 4

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 05:53:51

Newfie wrote:... ran out of oil Thursday night. It took the oil company until 5pm to get someone there. They sent a technician who apparently put in 5 gallons and left. That didn’t make it until midnight.

The oil company service desk is swamped, half hour on hold to talk to someone. And all she can do is take messages because no one in the company will talk to her. This is a big oil delivery company. She can tell me just about nothing. Apparently the supervisors are all out running delivery trucks.

The point, yes this is extreme cold, but not some major shift in the climate. People can’t deal with even minor changes. The system is very fragile and marginal. I could find no news of oil delivery problems on google. Yet my building manager and the oil company are telling me many, many, many households are without heat.

I’m starting to wonder if the oil companies are having difficulty obtaining oil?

How would we react if there was some truely significant shift in the climate?

Had the same situation with my furnace back in 2013 when we got 40 inches of snow here in Connecticut. Oil company couldn't deliver for 5 days. Didn't help that the town failed to plow the street for 5 days either. Road diesel or kerosene works fine.

Here's some News on the fuel oil delivery situation.. It's happening up and down the East coast.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... efHkiNYtTE

Pennsylvania: ... .Heating oil demand has jumped in recent days with some desperate to fill empty tanks, said Jennifer D. Goldbach, vice president of business development for Rhoads Energy in Lancaster, whose companies deliver in Berks, Lancaster, Chester, Lebanon and Montgomery counties.

The company averaged 874 calls per day the past two weeks but received 3,816 calls on Tuesday, a sign of how many people were scrambling to heat their homes, she said.

"Over the first two working days of the year (Tuesday and Wednesday), our total volume of gallons of heating oil and propane delivered was up almost 30 percent over the same two days in 2017," Goldbach said.

Many customers sign up for automatic delivery, so the companies track when they'll need oil and deliver it accordingly, she said.

Those on the "will call" list typically can get a delivery in a day or two after ordering it, but now with demand so high might have to wait four or five days, she said, making it important that they not wait until their tanks are empty to call.

Employees are working long hours to keep up, and workers from other departments are answering the phones, which are ringing off the hooks, but the companies still can't bring oil and propane immediately to those in need.

"We're doing out best, but that's a problem," Goldbach said. "The volume of fuel we're delivering is just unbelievable."

... POTTSVILLE — The phones are ringing constantly.

“We are so overwhelmed,” Denise Stoyer, a dispatcher at Jack Rich Inc., Frackville, said Tuesday, the busiest day she can remember in her 12 years with the oil delivery company. Temperatures have been below freezing in Schuylkill County for days, increasing the demand for fuel.

The cold spell isn’t going to let up anytime soon. The National Weather Service, State College, said the high for today will be 24 degrees. Thursday’s predicted to be 20 degrees with evening temperatures as low as zero, and Friday and Saturday will struggle to get above 10. Sunday’s high is forecast for 21 degrees.

Heating companies said they are pressed with a high demand for oil and only have so much time and resources to devote to the effort because of constraints such as time, drivers and customers they have to service before providing services to others..

“We have all our trucks on the road,” Stoyer said.

She said the phones started ringing at 8 a.m. Tuesday when they opened for the day. She said the drivers have been averaging 35 to 40 stops a day. There were also several online orders over the weekend. Other companies were even calling because they could not meet the demand of their own customers.

BTW: .... The blower motor on my oil furnace died yesterday when it was 10 F outside. Fortunately, the tech was able to fix it in a couple of hours. It doesn't take long for a house to chill out at that temp.

Locally, the Housatonic river froze over - shore to shore. That hasn't happened since 1961.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 08:38:23

-18F here in VT. It wont get above freezing here before Thursday and then the forecast is for some freezing rain before the next dip. Normal January weather actually but the wood pile has taken a big hit this week. :|
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 09:02:21

It’s just so stupid. There are 3 or 4 jerry cans sitting in the basement. Ya think I can get someone to go fill me up and dump em in the tank? NO!

Folks would rather sit in the cold and bitch than do something constructive.

That’s the message to take away, sure some folks are resourceful and do what is required. Others will just sit and die.

AND....all this complaining about unprescedented cold. Baloney!

It used to get this cold in the recent history. Tons of evidence. My Father told me that guys used to drive their cars on the bay in the winter. He had eel spears to walk out on the ice to get eels. The Delaware Bay has old ice harbors from days gone by. Reading the old navigation direction for the Deleware River talks about how it is sometimes impassible because ice.

We have become accustomed to the warm stable climate and are SHOCKED when weather patterns shift outside this abnormal narrow range.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vox_mundi » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:19:56

Sydney swelters on hottest day since 1939 as mercury hits 47.3C

The Australian city of Sydney has experienced its hottest weather in 79 years with temperatures in the region hitting as high as 47.3C (117F).
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:31:10

But some sharks died from the cold in the US north-east, so global warming must be a hoax:

http://www.plaintruth.com/the_plain_tru ... shock.html

Deniers are basically f*cktards.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:58:06

Denial by definition is unreasonable. One cannot deny what are NOW ALREADY observable and measurable phenomenon

19 ways climate change is now feeding itself
http://transitionvoice.com/2013/08/19-w ... ng-itself/
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 15:28:30

It's like the story about a man who fell off the Empire State Building. Around the 30th floor someone shouts out, "How's it going?" To which the man replied, "Alright, so far."
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 16:31:33

They finally got oil and heat back on.

No one died.

(Dam it)
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 07 Jan 2018, 17:43:55

Newfie wrote:They finally got oil and heat back on.

No one died.

(Dam it)

Oh I hear you! :badgrin:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 13:39:43

The Planet Just Had Its Hottest 4 Years In Recorded History. Trump Is Dismantling Efforts To Fight Climate Change.

2017 achieved a temperature of 1.51 degrees Fahrenheit (0.84 degrees Celsius), above the average temperature seen in the 20th century, according to NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information.

NASA found that 2017 was 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit (.9 degrees Celsius) above the average temperature from 1951 through 1980. 2016 was .99 degrees Celsius higher, and 2015 just .86 degrees Celsius higher, according toe the agency.

The two government agencies use different methodologies to calculate global temperatures, but by either standard, the 2017 results make the past four years the hottest period in their 138-year archive.

In another striking analysis of 2017’s heat, NOAA’s Arndt pointed out that according to his agency, the amount of heat being stored in the upper layer of the global ocean, between the surface and about 700 meters depth, was at its highest on record last year.

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:12:00

True enough.

But the real problem remains China.

In the USA CO2 emissions went DOWN in 2017, in spite of everything Trump is doing and saying. But China's CO2 emissions went up in 2017, mainly due to increases in their use of coal, and the rising CO emissions in China (a member in good standing of the Paris Accords as well) is large enough to offset the decreases in CO2 emissions in the USA and cause a 2% INCREASE IN GLOBAL CO2 EMISSIONS IN 2017.

It seems almost crazy for Trump to be denying the reality of global warming, and even crazier for China---the largest CO2 emitter on the planet--- to be INCREASING their use of coal-fired power plants and INCREASING their CO2 emissions, when the evidence of global warming is becoming so clear.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vox_mundi » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 16:01:13

3 dead as monstrous winds lash Europe, creating travel nightmare

Deadly storms driven by 90-mph wind gusts threw transportation across much of northern Europe into chaos Thursday, canceling hundreds of flights, shutting down rail lines and bringing havoc to roads and highways.

vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 18 Jan 2018, 23:28:11

One of those deaths happened just a few miles from where my daughter is living.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 Jan 2018, 16:41:30

NASA just just named 2017 as the 3rd warmest year ever, logging in at 1.51°C warmer then 20th century average.

But that 1.51°C number is bogus, because global warming was already going on during the 20th century. Using an average of 20th century temperatures which include some global warming as the baseline to see how much global warming there has been is just a tricky way to minimize the amount of global warming we are seeing.

A better way to think about it is use a baseline BEFORE global warming started. When you do that its clear the global climate has already warmed about 2°C from the pre-global warming baseline global Temps....and the rate of warming is increasing.

Global Warming has already added about 2°C to the average global temps
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 19 Jan 2018, 19:50:51

Caribbean wobbles under the impact of climate change
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/car ... ofile=1373
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Freak storm, our iceless anoxic future.

Unread postby Whitefang » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 08:38:03

Been driving my empty truck through the freaky storm in Belgium, windy but no big deal with my battleship the Buccaneer.
Came home in Roosendaal and found trees blown over right next door at the elementery school where my youngest son and daughter go.
Your daughter lives in the Netherlands Dohboi?
You probably visited my wierd little country, Belgium is twice as wacky, only a 2 hour drive and bilangual. Best way to see Holland is by bike, plenty safe roads especially for bikes, my favourite is along the coast the number one......

That were only 90 mph gusty wind, Miami had double that, same for PR.

I did tell my family to leave the bike at home and walk to work/high school.
Car has been impounded and my wife has no licence yet, gave her some private lessons but that were a disaster...hihi...lol. After 100 plus expensive drives with teacher and at least 4 theoretical exams......still no licence.
Better chance on winning the lotery. Feel good on being Lucky with my wife and events this year, miracles do happen. Not the lotery, but loot for licence/doomstead etc.

Paul B. attended the winter AGU meeting, presentation on west siberian snow/arctic sea ice,
AGU meeting on rapid decline of snow coverin Siberia and following sea ice gap on the arctic ocean:

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/prelimi ... 26427.html

What made the snow melt away in no time last spring? Extremely high temperatures.
Higher than normal methane concentrations could explian this abnormal heat.

looking for a YouTube of it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHlsUDVVy0

Instead Peter Ward on our future without ice caps.

In honor of Earth Month: Peter D. Ward, Ph.D., is a paleontologist and professor of Geological Sciences at the University of Washington. Ward specializes in the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event (the one that killed the dinosaurs), the Permian-Triassic extinction event, and mass extinctions in general. He was elected as a fellow of the California Academy of Science in 1984 and has been nominated for the Schuchert Medal, an award of the Paleontological Society. Ward has written many books including Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future and The Flooded Earth: Our Future In a World Without Ice Caps.

http://climatestate.com/2013/09/21/euxi ... al-change/

video learning, easy does it!
Bit on the black sea as a study on a present anoxic area.

Areas of the coastal ocean where oxygen is low or absent in bottom waters, so-called dead zones, are expanding worldwide (Diaz and Rosenberg, 2008). Increased inputs of nutrients from land are enhancing algal blooms, and the sinking of this organic matter to the seafloor and subsequent decay leads to a high oxygen demand in bottom waters. Depending on the physical characteristics of the coastal system, this may initiate periodic or permanent water column anoxia and euxinia, with the latter term implying the presence of free sulfide (Kemp et al., 2009). Global warming is expected to exacerbate the situation, through its effects on oxygen solubility and water column stratification. In many modern coastal systems, anthropogenic changes are superimposed on natural variation and lack of knowledge of such variation makes the prediction of future changes in water column oxygen challenging (e.g., Grantham et al., 2004). That natural drivers alone can be the cause of widespread coastal anoxia is evident from studies of greenhouse periods in Earth’s past, including the oceanic anoxic events of the Cretaceous and Toarcian (Jenkyns, 2010).

Sediment proxy records are essential to any reconstruction of variations in anoxia and euxinia on time scales beyond several decades to a century. A variety of biological and geochemical indicators can be used for this purpose, such as the presence of the remains of benthic and pelagic organisms, laminations, biomarkers for eukaryotes or prokaryotes, and inorganic geochemical and mineralogical signatures in the sediment, and ideally, these methods are combined. Sediments that are deposited below a euxinic water column are, for example, typically enriched in organic carbon, sulfur, iron, and trace metals such as rhenium and molybdenum (Gooday et al., 2009). Recent additions to this paleo-redox toolbox are the isotope systems of Fe and Mo (Lyons et al., 2009). Reconstruction of the temporal changes in the oxic-anoxic interface (chemocline) in the water column forms a key step in the identification of the external drivers and internal feedbacks that contribute to anoxia and euxinia in a given system. In their study of sediments from the Black Sea, Eckert et al. (2013, p. 431 in this issue of Geology), make this step by providing, for the first time, a basin-wide reconstruction of the evolution of the chemocline in this silled coastal basin over the Holocene.
Last edited by Whitefang on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 09:24:03, edited 2 times in total.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 20 Jan 2018, 09:18:16

Good to hear that you and yours are safe, wf. I just saw videos of people being blown across a square in the Hague like leaves.

I haven't flown since I was in Paris for the heat wave that killed all those tens of thousands of people, so no, I haven't visited her nor your beautiful country. I 'travel' by reading these days, and by interacting with people from around the world online, like this.

In fact, I was just yesterday reading about the Walloon culture and language. Do you happen to know anything about it?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 21 Jan 2018, 16:07:06

The heat of summer 2003 that baked Paris for weeks.......
I haven't been back to the states /North America for decades either Dohboi.
The two languages of Belgium is a long story, Dutch kings and Queens, that French guy emperor Bonaparte and many others I suppose.
I usually work from Leuven(Louvain) to Luik(Liege), along the freeway E40, north side is dutch speaking, south side French, the poor side, hihi....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Belgium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belgium

The history of Belgium predates the founding of the modern state of that name in 1830. Belgium's history is intertwined with those of its neighbours: the Netherlands, Germany, France and Luxembourg. For most of its history, what is now Belgium was either a part of a larger territory, such as the Carolingian Empire, or divided into a number of smaller states, prominent among them being the Duchy of Brabant, the County of Flanders, the Prince-Bishopric of Liège and County of Luxembourg. Due to its strategic location and the many armies fighting on its soil, since the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648), Belgium has often been called the "battlefield of Europe" or the "cockpit of Europe".[1] It is also remarkable as a European nation which contains, and is divided by, a language boundary between Latin-derived French and Germanic Dutch.

Belgium's formation, like that of its Benelux neighbours, can be traced back to the "Seventeen Provinces" within the Burgundian Netherlands. These were brought together under the House of Valois-Burgundy, and eventually declared independent of both France and Germany by their descendant Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, in his Pragmatic Sanction of 1549. The Eighty Years' War (1568–1648) led to the split between a northern Dutch Republic and the Southern Netherlands from which Belgium and Luxembourg developed. This southern territory continued to be ruled by the Habsburg descendants of the Burgundian house, at first as the "Spanish Netherlands". Invasions from France under Louis XIV led to the loss of what is now Nord-Pas-de-Calais to France, while the remainder finally became the "Austrian Netherlands". The French Revolutionary wars led to Belgium becoming part of France in 1795, bringing the end of the semi-independence of areas which had belonged to the Catholic church. After the defeat of the French in 1814, a new United Kingdom of the Netherlands was created, which eventually split one more time during the Belgian Revolution of 1830–1839, giving three modern nations, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.

Chaos on lowlands, 30 million Benelux people doing what they do.....backed up by history, in for a even more chaotic future, if at all.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/t ... 25&hour=0&

Countdown or better, up from Friday september 2015, NYC.

Related to:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/05/1 ... e-disaster

In two languages, French Foreign Minister Lauren Fabius started the countdown Tuesday to climate change disaster, speaking in Washington before a meeting with American counterpart Secretary of State John Kerry.
Secretary of State John Kerry listens as French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius speaks prior to their meeting at the State Department in Washington, Tuesday, May 13, 2014. (AP Photo/Molly Riley)
“We have 500 days to avoid the climate chaos,” Fabius said in French.
Kerry added, “Thank you very much. Do you want to say anything? He speaks perfect English. Do you want to say anything?”

Speaking then in English, Fabius touched on Iran, Syria, and Ukraine, but then quickly returned to climate change.
“And very important issues, issue of climate change, climate chaos,” the foreign minister said. “And we have – as I said, we have 500 days to avoid climate chaos, and I know that President Obama and John Kerry himself are committed on this subject and I’m sure that with them, with a lot of other friends, we shall be able to reach success on this very important matter.”
Fabius and Kerry went into a meeting that morning. Later on Tuesday, Fabius spoke at the French embassy in Washington where he was critical of the Obama administration over its Syrian policy.

A reporter brought up Fabius’ comment to White House press secretary Jay Carney, drawing laughter in the press room when
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Jan 2018, 18:40:36

Whitefang:

I spent a year at the Universitie de Liege in eastern Belgium. Belgium is a wonderful little country, and the food there is great. It is justifiably famous for its fantastic beer and chocolates and moules and frites----one of the nicest restaurants I ever at in was the cafeteria at the Universitie de Liege----incredible food for very little money.

Belgium is also in a great part of Europe, with France, Germany, The Netherlands, Luxumbourg, and England reachable with an easy day trip on the train.

The tri-lingual culture of Belgium (mostly French and Dutch, with a small number of Germans living in a small sliver of easternmost Belgium) is supposed to be a model for the EU, and is one of the reasons Brussels is the nominal capital of the EU. However, when I was living in Belgium there was some animosity between the Flemish and Walloonian population, with the Belgium parliament having some ethnic-based political parties.

The Flemish vs. Walloon issues can have tragic consequences. One event I remember well was a head on collision between trains in Belgium. Apparently a Flemish rail controller saw the problem and contacted the train, but he didn't speak any French. The Flemish controller became very agitated trying to make the French engineer understand the danger, and the French engineer became angry that the train controller was speaking to him in Flemish The two wound up screaming at each other "Speak French!" and "Speak Flemish" before both hung up. The head-on train collision occurred shortly afterward.

Speak French! Speak Flemish! BOOM!

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate