Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Collapse Step by Step, Part 8 — The Bumpy Road Down

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Dec 2017, 13:41:28

The Bumpy Road Down, Part 1 The term “bumpy road down” refers to the cyclic pattern of crash and partial recovery that I believe will characterize the rest of the age of scarcity and make for a slow step by step collapse, rather than a single hard and fast crash. Indeed, that is where the "step-by-step" in the title of this series of posts comes from. And yes, many of the individual steps down will happen quite quickly and seem quite harsh. But it will likely take many steps and many decades before we can say collapse is essentially complete, and between those steps down there will (in many areas) be long periods when things are stable or even actually improving somewhat. The fast collapse is a favourite trope of collapse fiction and makes for some exciting stories, in which stalwart heroes

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Collapse Step by Step, Part 8 — The Bumpy Road Down

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 18:21:17

ah, says it all about the state of the Oil Industry and how dysfunctional and parasitic the entire Economy has become
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Collapse Step by Step, Part 8 — The Bumpy Road Down

Unread postby Cog » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 19:55:55

How do you explain that Exxon had a free cash flow of $5.92 billion in 2016? Or $15.26 billion for the past trailing 12 months?

I didn't bother to check all of the Big Seven but I checked Royal Dutch Shell, BP and Exxon and they all showed positive free cash flow for 2017. Things change in the oil bidness pstarr.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Peak Oil Discussion