Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cyclone/Hurricane/Typhoon Season 2017 Pt. 2

Re: Cyclone/Hurricane/Typhoon Season 2017 Pt. 2

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 04 Nov 2017, 13:57:35

Yes, back in the day, many were relatively independent of the gov and the broader economy.

Now we are nearly all deeply enmeshed in both, even as both are becoming ever more corrupt and untrustworthy.

We are in a bad state, but I do hope that you are right that you can do well without much connection to these.

But as your current situation suggests, you at least find it a bit tiresome to be cut off from the electric grid. You can do it, but you would clearly prefer not to be at this point. Are you thinking of putting in solar or wind, or do you have enough water and the right topography for hydro? That would be cool!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 04 Nov 2017, 14:16:24

dohboi wrote:Yes, back in the day, many were relatively independent of the gov and the broader economy.

Now we are nearly all deeply enmeshed in both, even as both are becoming ever more corrupt and untrustworthy.

We are in a bad state, but I do hope that you are right that you can do well without much connection to these.

But as your current situation suggests, you at least find it a bit tiresome to be cut off from the electric grid. You can do it, but you would clearly prefer not to be at this point. Are you thinking of putting in solar or wind, or do you have enough water and the right topography for hydro? That would be cool!

I'm at the headwaters so not enough flow for hydro so it's wind or solar or a mix of both. I might build a tractor barn with a south facing roof so I can mount solar panels on it But really for $65 a month the grid power is a bargain and my provider is 100% renewable. Another option is to hard wire a backup generator into the breaker panel with the appropriate safety switches to prevent back flow out into the grid and a connection to a propane tank. I'd keep the portable Honda for use at the Daughters and neighbors houses. I expect the neighbor to buy his own backup after this event but he will have to wait for a while as all the supply has been shifted to Puerto Rico.
vtsnowedin
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 04 Nov 2017, 14:40:22

"...my provider is 100% renewable..."

Sweet! And yeah, I bet a lot of folks in the various affected locations and beyond from all these recent storms are likely waking up and will be interested in buying generators. Prices likely to rise, I suppose, in the relatively short term.

Elsewhere: Heavy monsoon rain sparks fear for India's Chennai

Not sure these storms were cyclonic, but sounds like a pretty big disaster for that part of India, though monsoons often bring some pretty bad flooding.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-41828304

Also note:

Soon to be typhoon #Damrey is expected to bring heavy rain and the threat of landslides to Vietnam late Friday into Saturday, local time.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/stat ... 3513403393
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 00:48:05

Typhoon Damrey kills 106 in Vietnam, reservoirs brimming before APEC summit

Vietnam's long coastline makes it prone to destructive storms and flooding
* Deadliest storm this year in Vietnam
* More than 40 reservoirs releasing water
* Rains expected to ease from Thursday before APEC summit
http://news.trust.org/item/20171108125524-1ojjo
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 09:02:41

dohboi wrote:Typhoon Damrey kills 106 in Vietnam, reservoirs brimming before APEC summit

Vietnam's long coastline makes it prone to destructive storms and flooding
* Deadliest storm this year in Vietnam
* More than 40 reservoirs releasing water
* Rains expected to ease from Thursday before APEC summit
http://news.trust.org/item/20171108125524-1ojjo

Odd way of writing it, Vietnam is a long narrow country sitting on a coast not too different than slicing a 50 km wide beach front off the Yucatan in Mexico. Any heavy storm that blows ashore in Vietnam is more than big enough to pass right over its narrow territory and wreck devastation on the countries further to the west.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tuike » Sat 18 Nov 2017, 15:39:12

Tuike
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 19:59:00

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/ame ... -irma.html
Very interesting setup Barbuda had. What comes next Disaster Capitalism as per Naomi Kleins book. Or does it permanently stay a No Mans Land?
You can ignore reality but not its consequences
onlooker
Anti-Matter
Anti-Matter

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 09:00:29

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate