Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tesla Truck Could Threaten Big Chunk of Oil Demand

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Tesla Truck Could Threaten Big Chunk of Oil Demand

Unread postby baha » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 09:43:58

Thinking about it...Maybe it's not a new business model. He is creating a bunch of dependents. Just like the FF industry did umpteen years ago...The difference is I can make my own electricity. I already bought into the future :)
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:18:46

Civilization = interdependence. That's why no back-to-the-land movement ever lasts.
Hubbert's curve, meet S-curve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
asg70
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 11:23:58

asg70 wrote:Civilization = interdependence. That's why no back-to-the-land movement ever lasts.

Don’t be silly, hunter gatherers were much more reliant on members f their tribe for survival than you are today. If you so desire you can rent storage units in scattered locations and store a lifetime food supply in just a few years of frugal livng. A hunter gatherer culture means you depend on your fellow hunters and gatherers to help you get the number of calories you need to survive.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:12:24

I know. He sucks on the oil teat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, blogs by himself on the internet and trolls BS endlessly into the crapo'sphere. And calls that interdependence? ha ha ha It's narcissism.
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:15:16

Subjectivist wrote:If you so desire you can rent storage units in scattered locations and store a lifetime food supply in just a few years of frugal livng

Which lasts about as long as it takes for you to need some form of medical care, and then you're f*cked because you have no health insurance and no money.
asg70
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:30:00

asg70 wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:If you so desire you can rent storage units in scattered locations and store a lifetime food supply in just a few years of frugal livng

Which lasts about as long as it takes for you to need some form of medical care, and then you're f*cked because you have no health insurance and no money.

First off anywhere n America you can be dragged into the ER at the local hospital barely alive and be treated to the point of safe release no matter how broke you are. Secondly if you think hunter gatherer cultures had great health care you know less than nothing about anthropology because your knowledge is incorrect and puts you at a severe disadvantage.

Most medical needs are not life threatening in our civilization unless you suffer extreme trauma, are born with a birth defect, or are already elderly. Simply using cheap rubbing alcohol to clean cuts and abraisions to prevent infection was vastly beyond hunter gatherer cultures options and a simple cut often meant lockjaw and death.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby baha » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:39:55

Sub - Who you calling elderly? :)

I can attest that hunter/ gatherers didn't need health care. They worked hard and ate healthy and little. And lived a short life :)

Nevermind the short life part...I am healthy and almost as fit as I have ever been. :oops: Our lifestyle has created the need for healthcare...
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.

https://monitoringpublic.solaredge.com/solaredge-web/p/kiosk?guid=19844186-d749-40d6-b848-191e899b37db
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:52:30

baha wrote:And lived a short life :)

Sign me up!

baha wrote:Our lifestyle has created the need for healthcare...

We're 7+ billion strong because of healthcare. Living without vaccination is a bitch. No dentistry leads to losing your teeth in no time to gum disease, and gum disease has shown a direct linkage to heart problems. I could go on and on.

This is all why I can't embrace the noble-savage anti-civ (or even a world made by hand) manifesto. Unless you're willing to accept the compromises baked into that cake then any advocacy of it in these arguments is just an intellectual exercise.
asg70
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 13:15:48

Don't let science get in the way of your techtopian dreams.

The inclusion of infant mortality rates in calculating life expectancy creates the mistaken impression that earlier generations died at a young age; Americans were not dying en masse at the age of 46 in 1907. The fact is that the maximum human lifespan — a concept often confused with "life expectancy" — has remained more or less the same for thousands of years. The idea that our ancestors routinely died young (say, at age 40) has no basis in scientific fact. Public health infrastructure (clean water, sewage treatment) is responsible for the recent rapid decline in infant mortality. Otherwise humans often reached a ripe old age of around 70 years. That includes neanderthal people
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 25 Nov 2017, 20:54:22

Aboriginal Australians lived 20+ years longer before whitefella arrived.
SeaGypsy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:03:01

And you need law enforcement to keep them from being ransacked, or the person renting them from stealing it or locking you out.

As if government wouldn't demand taxes on that be paid and regulations be followed.

And that means you need the financial system and all that entails.

And for many places, you HAVE to be on the grid, even if you have enough solar to be independent. And pay property taxes. And on and on.

And I don't want to pull my own teeth for lack of dental care, die quickly from lack of needed prescription meds, or do without the procedures I'm certain I'll need in the next 20 years, if I live that long, whether the problems would be fatal or "merely" make life constantly miserable. (And probably fatal in time without proper medical care if left untreated).

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly. Look at many peoples' "hero", the stranger in the woods -- they guy who apparently made the closest documented attempt over decades. He lived by stealing -- cleverly and not stealing "major stuff", but chronically stealing -- for a living.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Nov 2017, 12:25:01

asg70 wrote:
baha wrote:And lived a short life :)

Sign me up!

baha wrote:Our lifestyle has created the need for healthcare...

We're 7+ billion strong because of healthcare. Living without vaccination is a bitch. No dentistry leads to losing your teeth in no time to gum disease, and gum disease has shown a direct linkage to heart problems. I could go on and on.

This is all why I can't embrace the noble-savage anti-civ (or even a world made by hand) manifesto. Unless you're willing to accept the compromises baked into that cake then any advocacy of it in these arguments is just an intellectual exercise.

Humans might have lived shorter lives before modern medicine and modern mass media, but people lived full and meaningful lives nonetheless.

Me tooth hurt but me no care. Me have Jane. Me happy.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 19:24:34

Outcast_Searcher wrote:

And you need law enforcement to keep them from being ransacked, or the person renting them from stealing it or locking you out.

As if government wouldn't demand taxes on that be paid and regulations be followed.

And that means you need the financial system and all that entails.

And for many places, you HAVE to be on the grid, even if you have enough solar to be independent. And pay property taxes. And on and on.

And I don't want to pull my own teeth for lack of dental care, die quickly from lack of needed prescription meds, or do without the procedures I'm certain I'll need in the next 20 years, if I live that long, whether the problems would be fatal or "merely" make life constantly miserable. (And probably fatal in time without proper medical care if left untreated).

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly. Look at many peoples' "hero", the stranger in the woods -- they guy who apparently made the closest documented attempt over decades. He lived by stealing -- cleverly and not stealing "major stuff", but chronically stealing -- for a living.

You missed what I am pitching here. The message isn’t that you can be a lone wolf, or live without the rest of society. What I am saying is if you choose to live a frugal life a few years in a humdrum boring dead end job will still let you plan for your basic future needs. People lose their minds trying to get whatever they think their neighbors have, as if that is how to be happy. If you don’t smoke and only drink socially and don’t have a TV with 1001 chanels you can still live a happy fulfilling life. If you actually sit down and budget yourself even a low paying job will get you the basic necessities and your local library gives you internet access and free use of more books than you could read in a lifetime. If sports are more your thing mst areas have softball leagues, o bowling, or golf. People did jst fine with those lifestyle choices before Bill Gates or Steve Jobs were even born and they can choose to do the same now.
Subjectivist
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Fri 01 Dec 2017, 19:56:45

Yeah, Sub. I'm not even sure why you bit at the typical binary strawman like this:

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly.

Not like there is a broad range of lower-consumption lifestyles between being a full blown consumer and being a hermit. Many of us have drastically reduced our consumption and participation in the global ponzi complexity-fest. We are doing just fine.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 02 Dec 2017, 23:13:15

Subjectivist wrote: People did jst fine with those lifestyle choices before Bill Gates or Steve Jobs were even born and they can choose to do the same now.

In fact, they had the necessary ingredient of occasional boredom to stimulate creativity....... something the constantly switched on nervous systems of our 24/7 digitally addicted population has completely forgotten or never have experienced.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 20:29:06

Gas wind and solar are starting to reign in greenhouse gas emissions

Cars pass power plants as top source of US carbon emissions
For the first time in 40 years, power plants are no longer the biggest source of US greenhouse gas pollution.
That dubious distinction now belongs to the transport sector: cars, trucks, planes, trains and boats.
Investments in electric cars may soon begin to do to the transportation sector what wind and solar have done to the power sector: turn the pollution curve upside down.
When the electrification of the US auto fleet begins in earnest, pollution from the two biggest energy sectors — electricity and transportation — may ultimately converge. Those electric cars are going draw their power from the grid.
http://www.afr.com/business/transport/a ... 204-gzypru
(its pay walled but if you get a bypass paywalls addon from Firefox it opens up)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/?src=api
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 20:56:43

'if the electrification of the US auto fleet begins in earnest . . . '
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby StarvingLion » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 21:09:39

GHung wrote:Yeah, Sub. I'm not even sure why you bit at the typical binary strawman like this:

Pretending like anyone who doesn't want to live like a hermit in some super-remote area can get by today TOTALLY without "the system", without being a constant criminal is kind of silly.

Not like there is a broad range of lower-consumption lifestyles between being a full blown consumer and being a hermit. Many of us have drastically reduced our consumption and participation in the global ponzi complexity-fest. We are doing just fine.

Right, Ghung. You'll just keep downsizing until living in a closet is too expensive or the taxes wipe you out.

If you don't have at least 10 million bucks in the next 3 years, you may as well jump out of a high rise building and do a low tech splat on the pavement.
My physician has informed me that I am clinically mentally ill.
StarvingLion
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency