Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Prof. Kenneth Deffeyes Thread (merged)

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Prof. Kenneth Deffeyes Thread (merged)

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 10:16:30

Yoshua wrote:According to BP world conventional oil peak took place in 2005 and then started a slow decline.

I find that a bit hard to swallow. While deep water formations are hard to access because of the water they are not dissimilar to formations on land. To me oil either comes from conventional source rocks, or it doesn’t, the water doesn’t effect the oil itself.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Deffeyes: $300/bbl=world's economy in smoldering ruins

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:47:22

Revi wrote:We won't see an economy in smoldering ruins, because there won't be enough gasoline left to burn anything.

If what Deffeyes says is true and oil goes over $300 in a year or two, car culture is dead.

We'll all be riding the bus instead.

If there is a bus to ride...

And here we are a decade later Revi, and boy it sure looks like this continues to be your angle. Kick the can, ad infinitum?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:49:42

pstarr wrote:Even when crude rises to $500 or $1,000 unconventionals will remain a blip, a meaningless luxary reserved for generals or billionaires perhaps."

(I wrote that back in 2008)

Thanks for proving why you don't ask technical oil or economic questions of 4-H folks.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:52:00

Yoshua wrote:According to BP world conventional oil peak took place in 2005 and then started a slow decline.

Nothing on that graph says anything about conventional oil.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion