Re: Climate Chaos Is Here Pt. 4

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 11 Nov 2017, 01:06:01

Indeed.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 11 Nov 2017, 09:08:50

Some of us 10 years engaged in the lack of will of modern humans to mitigate. Some of us already 40 years engaged in the same.

So we want to go another 5 , 10 , 20 , 30 years engaged in the same futility?

Isn't there another choice?

I think there is.

Withdraw from efforts and expectations on agreements, alliances and empty mitigations coming from institutions and governments who are committed to globalization.

I remember years ago some posters claiming that trying to do things locally like saving a remnant prairie or preserving a wetland is hopeless when climate change will undermine any local efforts.

I am actually taking more and more the opposite approach. The only real viable place to have an impact is in your immediate local surroundings.

I mentioned on other threads that I am suspicious actually about the true intentions of efforts to mitigate climate change on the part of global alliances and global institutions. If and when they would get around to any serious mitigation ask yourself a moment for what reason?

Is it:

A) Coming from a paradigm shift of wanting to coexist in a balanced way with our biosphere

OR

B) Wanting to keep the BAU globalization model resilient?

If like me you conclude that it is B then ask yourself what this means really in terms of degradation of natural habitats and natural ecosystems around the planet as this globalization will continue the process of The Great Biotic Exchange plundering natural ecosystems in exchange for human landscapes.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 11 Nov 2017, 09:40:56

Plantagenet wrote:But both the Ds and Rs would rather go to war and waste the money on blowing people up. Its sad, really.

Yeah, maybe another CO2-spewing flight to Greece will cheer you up.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 11 Nov 2017, 11:58:05

asg70 wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:But both the Ds and Rs would rather go to war and waste the money on blowing people up. Its sad, really.

Yeah, maybe another CO2-spewing flight to Greece will cheer you up.

Humankind has been at War with nature forever. Whose winning may have turned a corner, though.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 18:32:12

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere:

15,364 scientist signatories from 184 countries have issued a second warning to world about the potential consequences of the current pathway that the world is following:

William J. Ripple et al. (13 November 2017), "World Scientists’ Warning to Humanity: A Second Notice", BioScience, bix125, https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/bix125

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/art ... 25/4605229
&
http://scientistswarning.forestry.orego ... arning.pdf

Extract: "To prevent widespread misery and catastrophic biodiversity loss, humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual. This prescription was well articulated by the world's leading scientists 25 years ago, but in most respects, we have not heeded their warning. Soon it will be too late to shift course away from our failing trajectory, and time is running out. We must recognize, in our day-to-day lives and in our governing institutions, that Earth with all its life is our only home."

I would just add, again, that it is never too late for us too make things even worse. :cry:

Thanks to aslr at asif for text and links
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 20:04:30

7.5 billion people can and will do a LOT of damage.

Best just get used to the idea and put your energies on surviving the bottleneck.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and still expecting a different result. Kinda like playing the lottery.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 22:18:34

Why would I want to survive the bottle neck?
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 13 Nov 2017, 22:37:38

pstarr wrote:I don't see this report (at least in the summary linked) suggesting the damage is a consequence of climate chaos.

Of course you don't. Because you're an AGW denier, and hence...

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 17:22:08

dohboi wrote:Why would I want to survive the bottle neck?

Sometimes I feel sorry for you.

My heartfelt condolences. :cry:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 19:45:13

Newfie wrote:
dohboi wrote:Why would I want to survive the bottle neck?

Sometimes I feel sorry for you.

My heartfelt condolences. :cry:

The reason to survive the bottleneck is to be one of the last breeding pairs of humans.

After the bottleneck we few survivors will have a duty to breed night and day to try to repopulate the earth and ensure the survival of the human race. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to undertake the job of breeding to make sure our species doesn't go extinct.

If necessary I'll make long dangerous journeys from my doomstead on the shore of the Arctic Ocean back to the ruins of civilization to find one or more women willing to breed for the good of humanity. I'm planning to do whatever it takes to help our species survive after the bottleneck.

Its for the survival of of our species
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 14 Nov 2017, 22:08:44

Always helpful eh Plant? Strange talk for a bachelor.

I would think the simple joy of life would be enough to keep one going. For your family and loved ones but for your own self if that’s all there is.

There may come a day when I’ve had enough and bow out. That will be a sad day and I will weep. Until then life itself is sufficient joy to continue.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 09:12:43

baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen.

Real life begins after the crash...and I will do my part to procreate :)

In all fairness if there is an actual real crash easy birth control will disappear right along with it and the practice of procreation will resume in all the 'advanced' countries where Children are currently considered an inconvenience very quickly. People have always enjoyed sex and procreation comes as a consequence unless there is intervention. Take away safe sterilization and latex condoms and birth control pills/shots/devices and there will be more procreating going on than you can shake a stick at in cities all over the "First World" that would have never happened with easy birth control being available.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:42:59

baha wrote:Has anyone ever tried to just lay down and die? It ain't easy. Unless you're willing to put yourself down you will continue to fight until your last breath. If you are killed by events then you don't have to choose. You don't get to choose...

My Dad used to say he would rather not survive the crash. Lots of people say that...but you won't get the choice. And if you do survive human nature says you will do whatever it takes to continue surviving.

The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

I like climate controlled environments and flush toilets. Nothing is stopping you from moving to India and living in a slum except youself. Go forth and do so and give me a range report on how its so much better.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby GHung » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:43:41

Tanada wrote:
baha wrote:The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen.

In all fairness if there is an actual real crash easy birth control will disappear right along with it and the practice of procreation will resume in all the 'advanced' countries where Children are currently considered an inconvenience very quickly. People have always enjoyed sex and procreation comes as a consequence unless there is intervention. Take away safe sterilization and latex condoms and birth control pills/shots/devices and there will be more procreating going on than you can shake a stick at in cities all over the "First World" that would have never happened with easy birth control being available.

This, of course, was a prediction made by Limits to Growth. Dotted lines were projected, solid lines are actual:

Looks like we're ahead of schedule so far. How it plays out is another matter, but I consider it a pretty good guess that if the death rate has fallen faster than expected, and population is rising faster, then other projections will likely occur sooner. Depends very much on rates of resource extraction and overall social stability. The latter seems to be an accelerating problem,, but maybe it's just me.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 15 Nov 2017, 20:57:01

Some people are still grasping, it seems.

Detachment is the way to go! :lol:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 16 Nov 2017, 14:55:48

Cog wrote:
baha wrote:Has anyone ever tried to just lay down and die? It ain't easy. Unless you're willing to put yourself down you will continue to fight until your last breath. If you are killed by events then you don't have to choose. You don't get to choose...

My Dad used to say he would rather not survive the crash. Lots of people say that...but you won't get the choice. And if you do survive human nature says you will do whatever it takes to continue surviving.

The truth is we aren't really living now...We stay in our climate controlled boxes with our noses stuck in a video screen. We need opioids to dull the pain of our boring existence. There are too many people and not enough meaningful things to do...

I like climate controlled environments and flush toilets. Nothing is stopping you from moving to India and living in a slum except youself. Go forth and do so and give me a range report on how its so much better.

Yes, we don't get much choice. We subdue mother nature and all we are left with are our video devices to watch someone else enjoy mother nature.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:21:29

Climate Chaos may already be here, but much more and much worse is soon to follow, even here in these sweet United States...

Larger, More Intense U.S. Storm Complexes on the Way

The mammoth clusters of thunderstorms known as mesoscale convective systems (MCSs) could dump up to 80% more water across North America by late this century, according to a study published Monday in Nature Climate Change. The study, “Increased rainfall volume from future convective storms in the U.S.,” found that increased atmospheric moisture in a warming climate will help lead to a 15 – 40% increase in peak MCS rainfall rates, along with a 20 – 70% jump in the rainfall area.

Together, these lead to a 30 – 80% boost in the total hourly volume of rain deposited by a typical MCS.

[so basically an increase by nearly half to an increase by nearly double]

“The combination of more intense rainfall and the spreading of heavy rainfall over larger areas means that we will face a higher flood risk than previously predicted,” said the study team, led by Andreas Prein (National Center for Atmospheric Research).

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/new-s ... plexes-way
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:28:30

GHung wrote:Image

That's from 2014. Anything more recent available? It looks to me like the deathrate is starting to turn upwards now. That is the one to watch, as it's the true marker of doom-like conditions.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:38:29

I poked around Google a bit and could find nothing better. Nothing indicating an inflection point, still living longer.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:58:50

asg...what newf said.

There was a very slight nudge upward in the global death rate from '08 to '09 which got some people (me) a bit excited, but since then it leveled off again and then has slightly declined:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /2066.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=xx&v=26

If you don't want to click through to these, the most recent figure is 7.8 deaths per thousand in 2016, down from 7.89 in '14, down (slightly) from 7.9 in '13, down from 7.99 in '12...

The curve does seem to be flattening, but there no rising trend yet.

Of course, other data sources may vary a bit, and these are obviously all rough approximations, so some of these slight shifts are likely not statistically significant. But still, no clear evidence of an upward surge/trend in global death rate at this point, more's the pity ( :-D :-D ). But just for demographic reasons, it should kick in any year now, with more and more boomers starting to go on their 'next great adventure.' Add in other compounding problems and...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate