Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What happens when the drilling is done?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 17:52:20

A seismic shift It seems like we’ve been talking about “peak oil” for a long time, but the meaning has shifted radically in the last few years. Historically the phrase referred to the hypothetical point in time when the world’s oil production would hit its maximum. It became famous in the 1970s, when we feared there may not be enough black gold underground to fuel our cars and economies. Four decades later, the phrase is making a comeback—but it’s now about moving toward a solar-powered, electric car future that won’t require such vast amounts of fossil fuels. That transition could prevent catastrophic climate change, if it happens quickly enough, but it will also profoundly reshape the global economy. In essence, the topic has changed from geology—how long can we drill oil in a cost-effective way—to figuring out what happens to our economies when we don’t

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: What happens when the drilling is done?

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 19:13:28

pstarr wrote:That there is a real find, Adam. Certainly going to shake up the oil markets.

Also from the website
https://globalsentinelng.com/2017/11/11/fulani-herdsmen-grim-statistics-bloody-exploits/
You pobably thought it could not get more unsettling. You were wrong.

Here is some evidence. Former head of state, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, addressed a one-day forum organised by a group known as the Search for Common Ground on his farm October 30. In it, he released some grim statistics about the killings and maiming in clashes between Fulani herdsmen and peasant farmers in four states – Plateau, Nasarawa, Kaduna and Benue – in just one year. These figures are certain to chill your bones and make your eyes go rheumy for the present and the future of our country.

My eyes got all rheumy and my bones chilly :shock:

If I were a peak oiler, reality having proved how poorly I had thought out the concept, I would want to run away from the topic in the OP and find something else to discuss as well.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: What happens when the drilling is done?

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 12 Nov 2017, 21:38:52

pstarr wrote:Always ready, able and willing to help an intern :)

Keep digging up those rare info finds. Your oil-company mentor might actually find a way to justify your pittance-pay.

I don't work for an oil company. Amazing what even you might learn...should you on occasion decide to read.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Peak Oil Discussion