Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Will China Bring an Energy-Debt Crisis?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 00:50:52

It is easy for those of us in the West to overlook how important China has become to the world economy, and also the limits it is reaching. The two big areas in which China seems to be reaching limits are energy production and debt. Reaching either of these limits could eventually cause a collapse. China is reaching energy production limits in a way few would have imagined. As long as coal and oil prices were rising, it made sense to keep drilling. Once fuel prices started dropping in 2014, it made sense to close unprofitable coal mines and oil wells. The thing that is striking is that the drop in prices corresponds to a slowdown in the wage growth of Chinese urban workers. Perhaps rapidly rising Chinese wages have been playing a significant role in maintaining high world “demand” (and

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Will China Bring an Energy-Debt Crisis?

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 09 Nov 2017, 00:53:17

I don't know Gail, none of the other half dozen and half baked ideas you've claimed will start a crisis have worked, so sure, why not pretend next up is China? May I recommend, after that one, you try Trinidad-Tobago, the Falklands, maybe if the Canary Islands borrow too much they could be the next example of why you don't put actuary's in charge of macro-economic analysis, but allow them to toddle off and become bloggers?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Will China Bring an Energy-Debt Crisis?

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 10 Nov 2017, 15:58:47

As if Gail, was saying anything particularly controversial or suprising. China the most populated country in the world being on a economic hyper upswing for at least a decade is straining the Debt and Energy situation. No way. So Adam you can go back to sleep , limits are the stuff of fairy tales. We all know we humans can transcend all limits because well we are humans.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Return to Economics & Finance