Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World On Brink Of Sixth Great Extinction pt. 2

Re: Where to next in Earth's dying days?

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 20:07:59

GASMON wrote:Image

The Borg are better than us. They assimilate but they didn't foul their own nest in a suicidal trajectory. Of course, they have a lot better technology than we do, so traditional thermodynamics need not apply. But that's sci-fi for you.
mos6507

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 20:09:48

Serial_Worrier wrote:Can I say what you're all thinking? ad hom deleted

Speaking as someone with a handle "serial worrier", you and he should be soulmates.
mos6507

Unread postby Lore » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 20:15:42

americandream wrote:Don't presume to speak for others when attacking another. It's cheap and immature.

Attack Cid's ideas, prove him wrong and persuade us as to the soundness of your views or else consign yourself to being irrelevant intellectully.

Another troublesome case of Freudian Projection.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 20:27:01

Frankly, it doesn't concern me whether someone has an Oedipus complex due to a troublesome childhood or whatever. This person needs to make his or her case for whatever position they take, clear. These schoolyard attacks tell me nothing other than that this person should not be venturing an opinion if this is the best they can do. The net is overrun with meaningless drivel which informs no one.

Lore wrote:
americandream wrote:Don't presume to speak for others when attacking another. It's cheap and immature.

Attack Cid's ideas, prove him wrong and persuade us as to the soundness of your views or else consign yourself to being irrelevant intellectully.

Another troublesome case of Freudian Projection.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Lore » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 21:18:47

According to Sigmund Freud, projection is a psychological defense mechanism whereby one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings onto someone else.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby americandream » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 22:14:29

This is a forum for debating issues. Not a "I suffered a hard done by Freudian slip of a life" support group. Either this person has a valid rebuttal or he needs help. The former is what most of us are here to consider, the latter he'ld best take to a professional therapist.

Lore wrote:According to Sigmund Freud, projection is a psychological defense mechanism whereby one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings onto someone else.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 22:25:57

americandream wrote:Attack Cid's ideas, prove him wrong and persuade us as to the soundness of your views

Please, I want someone to do exactly that. I'll be the first to celebrate if someone can show me the flaw in the current science that changes everything and shows mankind has an indefinite, but forseeably long future.

Don't try to con me. Don't spout political swill or industry funded pseudo-science. Don't pretend it isn't happening. Don't get all emotional or try to give me religion. Address the science.

I've given you links to the research. Learn it. Challenge it legitimately.

Put on your thinking caps.

The brightest minds in the world are on forums just like this. In this world the cream doesn't rise to the top, the scum does.

Therefore, those that may have the answers we need, if there are answers, may be unrecognized, working in unrelated fields.

Show us your stuff.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Mon 12 Oct 2009, 22:44:08, edited 1 time in total.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby hardtootell-2 » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 22:37:38

Cid_Yama wrote:
americandream wrote:Attack Cid's ideas, prove him wrong and persuade us as to the soundness of your views

Please, I want someone to do exactly that. I'll be the first to celebrate if someone can show me the flaw in the current science that changes everything and shows mankind has an indefinite, but forseeably long future.

Don't try to con me. Don't spout political swill or industry funded pseudo-science. Don't pretend it isn't happening. Don't get all emotional or try to give me religion. Address the science.

Wow Cid- I think you have THROWN down the gauntlet! :shock:
Are you sure I can't get just a little emotional and tell you how Jesus is gonna save us? :)

All kidding aside, your posts have influence. I realize we are f&*ked in way more ways than one.
hardtootell-2
Coal
Coal

Unread postby americandream » Mon 12 Oct 2009, 23:36:42

I personally would LOVE to be convinced otherwise as well. As things stand, I have seen enough in my travels to be convinced that we are on the slippery slope to a trash dump of a planet at the very least.

hardtootell-2 wrote:
Cid_Yama wrote:

Are you sure I can't get just a little emotional and tell you how Jesus is gonna save us? :)

All kidding aside, your posts have influence. I realize we are f&*ked in way more ways than one.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Vogelzang » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 22:04:11

The earth is fine. Its all the eco-criminals that make the world such a bad place.
Vogelzang
Permanently Banned

Unread postby americandream » Sun 01 Nov 2009, 23:21:10

Actually Shortonsense is quite apt. :|

pstarr wrote:
Vogelzang wrote:The earth is fine. Its all the eco-criminals that make the world such a bad place.
Have you met Shortonsense? I call him -sense, shorty, minus-sense, shortonbrains. Look for him.

Friends are forever :)
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Shar_Lamagne » Mon 09 Nov 2009, 03:26:37

American Dream,

Seems odd he would name himself that. I do agree with you that it is very appropriate.

Hard to Tell,

I agree. I wonder why(Not really, I KNOW why) no one has stepped up to the challenge. I would like to be convinced(scientifically) that this is all just a mistake. Unfortunately, it is clear that that is not the case.

hardtootell-2 wrote:
Cid_Yama wrote:

We are not so much as disillusioned but illusion free – Miranda Devine - journalist
Shar_Lamagne
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby katkinkate » Mon 09 Nov 2009, 08:28:00

Well, we all have to die from something, eventually. I think humanity will survive (with a much smaller population), but this civilisation's days are numbered.
Kind regards, Katkinkate

"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops,
but the cultivation and perfection of human beings."
Masanobu Fukuoka
katkinkate
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

CAMP Best Analogue to Current Mass Extinction Event?

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:57:30

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-ancient-vo ... imate.html

Ancient volcanoes could be key to predicting the impact of climate change

Just over 200 million years ago, long before the demise of the dinosaurs, a cataclysm killed off a significant chunk of the planet's animal life. The leading theory implicates massive volcanic eruptions, triggered when the supercontinent of Pangea was ripped apart into separate continents.

A new study co-authored by USC Dornsife researchers strengthens evidence for that theory and has wider implications for how rapid climate change can affect life on Earth. Along with lava flows, the volcanic eruptions released massive amounts of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide, creating havoc in the ecosystem.

...The mercury [left over from eruptions], Corsetti said, serves as a kind of fingerprint for a massive volcanic eruption in what's known as the Central Atlantic Magmatic Province (CAMP). Essentially, CAMP was the spot in Pangea where the Atlantic Ocean would later appear after the land mass split.

CAMP's appearance was a cataclysm on its own.

"If that much material erupted today, it would cover the contiguous United States with about 400 meters of lava—it was an enormous series of eruptions," Corsetti said.

But the reason CAMP is suspected of being the culprit in the mass extinction has to do with carbon dioxide—the gas that climate change experts now worry is being released into the atmosphere in rapid and massive quantities.

"By some estimates, it rose nearly as rapidly as we're putting CO2 into the atmosphere today," Corsetti said. "We wanted to see how the Earth system responded from a rapid rise of CO2.

The spoiler alert is that there was a mass extinction.
.. "

The Triassic-Jurassic extinction is particularly pertinent because it was selective, Corsetti said. It preferentially affected coral reefs and animals most similar to the ones common in today's oceans. An earlier and more severe event, the Permian extinction—sometimes called "the mother of all extinctions"—was even bigger, but the dominant organisms affected were different from the ones common today.

That makes the Triassic-Jurassic event perhaps the most relevant mass extinction to study when trying to predict what might happen with rising CO2 levels, Corsetti said.

I hadn't read much about this extinction event, so I though it might be a good way to spark some scientific-y discussion about such matters. :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: CAMP Best Analogue to Current Mass Extinction Event?

Unread postby GHung » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 13:57:37

"By some estimates, it rose nearly as rapidly as we're putting CO2 into the atmosphere today,"....

Keep burning, baby, just to make sure.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Synapsid » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 15:38:53

dohboi,

The site skepticalscience.com is not an especial favorite of mine but it has carried a series of articles by Howard Lee on mass extinctions. The articles are accurate, up to date, filled with references and links, and well-written.

Go to the site and type mass extinctions into the search box at upper left. Pull out the ones by Lee.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 15:51:22

Thanks for the tip, Syn!
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: World On Brink Of Sixth Great Extinction

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 19 Oct 2017, 20:00:37

pstarr wrote:
dohboi wrote:As predicted, denialists continue to deny.

Yes, I deny the Sixth Great Extinction. I deny hysterical attention-starved grandstanding. It does not good for the cause of conservation, stewardship and ecological restoration. Just get folks depressed. I like science better.

Since the juggernaut freight train of human overshoot has its built in momentum we all know that stopping it or slowing it down cannot happen fast enough to prevent accelerated extinctions.

Even without full scale biosphere collapse, even without cascading tipping points of climate change, even without ocean acidification and melting tundra methane farts, even without all the other tipping points that are postulated here we still will have an unprecedented historical extinction level event; the first time that this was caused mainly by a single dominant species.

The Great Biotic Exchange that is well advanced and shows no signs of slowing down is the cause of this sixth great extinction. This real time event happening right now is devastating enough without speculating about other potential tipping points and claims of biosphere collapse.

So I don't think you can deny the 6th great extinction Pstarr. On the other hand in regards to ecological restoration there is no cascading biosphere collapse happening to prevent this and given the opportunity nature is still incredibly resilient to recolonize former human habitat as soon as peak Kudzu Ape passes and we move into serious population decline and correction.

Nature is resilient still. Our biosphere is resilient still. There is no cause to get depressed over the state of our biosphere. Our species is in very very precarious territory. Some might find this depressing. I find 7 billion plus humans frankly depressing.

Without a drop of misanthropic blood in my body how I yearn and worship the Overshoot Predator to get up off his lazy ass and get the ball rolling.

I have talked to many christians who gave up their faith because they said that it occurred to them one day that there was no god out there listening to their prayers.

I have far more faith than these fallen christians in regards to the Overshoot Predator being out there ......even if he stubbornly continues to ignore my pleas. Which of course is just like him.... not giving a damn what us Kudzu Apes want or wish for....

Science ultimately grounds my faith as well.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate