Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE China Thread pt 8 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

China wants to build high-speed railway to US

Unread postby Graeme » Fri 09 May 2014, 18:57:47

China wants to build high-speed railway to US through Siberia and Bering Strait

According to a report in the Beijing Times stated on Thursday that the country is considering building a new high-speed railway that would ultimately connect it with the lower 48 states of the US.

Specifically, the route currently under consideration would begin in northeastern China and run through Siberia to the Bering Strait. At this point, there would be an underground tunnel that cuts through the Pacific Ocean to connect Russia and Alaska, from which the train would continue south through Canada until arriving again in the United States.

The most ambitious part of the project would, of course, involve constructing the undersea tunnel that would make traveling across the Bering Strait possible. At 200km (125 miles) long, the tunnel would represent a daunting engineering challenge – that’s four times the length of the Channel Tunnel connecting the United Kingdom to France – but China Daily stated the technology is “already in place” and will be used in a separate high-speed rail project.

Overall, the Guardian notes the entire trip would clock in at 13,000 km (nearly 8,100 miles) – extending even further than the Trans-Siberian Railway. The plan is currently known as the “China-Russia-Canada-America” line, and experts project the entire journey would take about two days, with the train moving at an average speed of 220 miles per hour.

RT
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: China wants to build high-speed railway to US

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 09 May 2014, 22:36:14

Graeme,

More underwriting for the energy hog elites IF it were even remotely feasible, which it is not.

It is hard to think of a less energy efficient and useless project.

While I don't want to take back my words I should say I'm cranky cause I'm deep into working on a idiotic transit project far smaller scale. The inanities of the process stun me.

Last night I went to the local bar to try to drown the stupid, they ran out of beer first.

But, on a more practice note think about this....if the train is to AVERAGE 220 mph, and let's say it makes 10 stops along the way, one stop every 800 miles, what do you think it's maximum speed will be?

And exactly why would someone travel for two days on a train when they can do the same trip in what, 12 hours on a plane? The cost in food alone would eat up any profit!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby peterjames » Sat 10 May 2014, 01:02:20

Newfie, unless you read another article on it, or my dyslexia is playing up, what makes you think its for passengers? A 2 kilometre long container train, able to link onto the track from any part of chinas rail network every 30 minutes would do alot to ease sea port congestion / double handling etc. The US could even reload the containers with cardboard to send back. Gee, even the Canadians may chip in some of the money to send back some bitumen.

Secondly, tack on a few sleepers on the back, and people will do it. Even a country as sparsely populated as Australia has a 4000 kilometre passenger train service. The China - US train service may be 3 times longer and have a few more engineering issues, but it has well over 80 times more potential passengers.
peterjames
Wood
Wood

Unread postby americandream » Sat 10 May 2014, 02:11:04

Newfie is correct. People or goods, this merely ups the pace to resource collapse. We can only containerise so much of the finite.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 10 May 2014, 08:12:54

That's right.

Sustainability does not, or SHOULD not, mean "maintain what you have." Even though that's what it has been perverted to.

Sustainability means " live within the means of the system."

We are far into overshoot, trying to find ways to sustain this life style is denial.

Want to fix port over crowding? Simple, ship less shit. You don't need it anyway.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dashster » Sat 10 May 2014, 11:03:09

I don't think the US and Canada would allow China to run a train on their soil. Even allowing them to build it seems like a long shot.

Is the idea that they will continue to make everything and to be able to spend something on US products they will ride over and be tourists?
dashster
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 11 May 2014, 00:34:48

I presume they will buy the Canadian and American land first before doing so. They must have plans :-D
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Sun 11 May 2014, 01:58:51

I need a gigantic facepalm for this one.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 11 May 2014, 21:10:56

This project makes more sense.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27368877
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 11 May 2014, 23:03:44

This way, Palin will also be able to 'see' China from Alaska or, at least, see their train. Yes, it doesn't make sense unless to get Canadian Tar Sands :wink:
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AgentR11 » Mon 12 May 2014, 02:35:47

My first thought was sure this would be tunnel across plate boundaries, but apparently not:

Maybe still insane but just thought the above was interesting.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 12 May 2014, 07:18:25

It is interesting. Never seen that before.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Timo » Mon 12 May 2014, 10:47:11

My suggestion to all this is to hire Elon Musk to build his Hyperloop instead of this train. Newfie is completely right. There is only so much we can do with a finite amount of resources. This rail system is asinine. Then aagain, this is the Chinese we're talking about. Their One-Party Rule depends on perpetuating fantasy and complacency among their masses. New ideas mean a new cause to work for on behalf of their leaders. And, the leaders are always right. Otherwise, they wouldn't be leaders, and their claims to power would collapse. Therefore, the Chinese are flooded with insane ideas, all pointing to a brighter future.
Timo

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 18 Oct 2017, 07:47:34

Russia has a competing plan.

https://youtu.be/DO0_Noie_t0
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 18 Oct 2017, 08:04:29

Sounds like the Russians are proposing a highway across Russia to link to existing systems. It didn't expressly say how to get across the Bearing Straight.

I see these proposals prop up periodically, like the giant freight/passenger derrigibles that used to appear bi-annually on Popular Science covers.

Here is a Wiki link on the topic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

THE China Thread pt 8 (merged)

Unread postby dissident » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 00:32:16

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
shortonoil wrote:
Neither Americans or Chinese are on suicide mission.

Building the Three Gorges Dam was a suicide mission. 480 million will die if it fails. Another example of the sick minds of the CCP

You might be onto something.
Apparently this dam is now under stress and deformed slightly:
https://thespectator.info/2020/07/26/de ... -slightly/

This is pure British tabloid BS. Deformed slightly is not what is shown in that obviously photoshopped image. If the deformation was that big, there would be a catastrophic collapse in progress. People really need to get educated and need to have some intellectual initiative instead of lapping up all sort of fake stream media excrement.

Rebared concrete does not stretch much. We are not talking about the swaying of the CN Tower or Burj Khalifa with the wind due to small deformations integrated over a substantial height. The local deformation in the faked image would be well beyond the formation of full fractures that would be gushing water. Once the water starts to leak in substantial amounts it is game over since the hydrostatic pressure behind the dam is enormous and the water acts like a cutting instrument that erodes the concrete and cuts through the rebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Saya ... n_accident
dissident
Expert
Expert

Re: China is finished... This is the End of China

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 09:18:08

Only thing Shorty is on to is the fact his Gov will give him a new job oppurtunity soon...

If it's brain surgery to rebuild what you use as a brain I'll take it. I'll use the Roto Rotor, and Duke Tape. It will be a big improvement.

The fact that the Three Gorges Dam is seeing the heaviest flooding since its construction 14 years ago is not British Tabloid BS??? How stupid can one get?
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 12:49:19

It’s not photoshopped, it’s an artifact of stitching satellite images. I found some threads in this with a series of images over the years. But also this is a highly cropped image, if you see the whole image then it’s clear that the shore line is showing the same deformation.

Terrible BS reporting, sensationalizing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 20:43:13

shortonoil wrote:Building the Three Gorges Dam was a suicide mission. 480 million will die if it fails. Another example of the sick minds of the CCP

Ah, more "credible" claims from shorty. Surprise, Surprise.

Actually looking at articles from possibly credible sources, there are 400ish million people who live near the dam who's lives are potentially at risk.

https://7news.com.au/news/disaster-and- ... -c-1119460

https://watchers.news/2020/06/25/world- ... isk-china/

Now, if a big hurricane or tornado goes through an area, the people there have their lives potentially at risk. If they're unlucky and in just the wrong place and the wrong things happen, they could get killed.

Does this mean that every hurricane or tornado kills EVERYONE in rough proximity, every time?

No, of course not.

Smokers are at increased risk to die from lung cancer. Does this mean ALL smokers will die from lung cancer?

No, of course not.

And let's try a little common sense. 480 million people is in the ballpark of a third of ALL OF CHINA's POPULATION. If this threat were real, wouldn't the Chinese be, say, issuing evacuation warnings?

Well per the second link, China did order 40,000 people (one twelve thousandth of Shorty's claimed number who are at risk of dying) to evacuate.

And also per the second link, 8 children have died from drowning in a river UPSTREAM to the dam, so I guess we should all panic about THAT meaning 480 million deaths must be imminent. :?

Shorty. Long on nonsense, and short on sense. Same as it ever was.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Next

Return to Asia Discussion