Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Saudi Arabia’s Revolution From the Top Has No Place for Crit

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Saudi Arabia’s Revolution From the Top Has No Place for Crit

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 10:02:04

Few would describe Mohammed Al-Arefe as a defender of women’s rights. In one infamous video, the Saudi cleric explains exactly how a man should beat his wife. But when the government decided to allow women to drive cars, up popped Al-Arefe on state TV to say what a good idea that was. “A modest woman will remain modest whether she drives or not,” he told the nation. Other religious leaders, once hostile to any departure from traditional ways, joined the chorus of approval. The kingdom’s powerful preachers were getting with the program. A couple of weeks earlier, they’d seen what happens to those who don’t. More than a dozen prominent clerics, activists and businessmen were arrested and accused of “pushing an extremist agenda.” Under Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, Saudi Arabia is seeking to reintroduce itself to the world -- opening its economy ...

Saudi Arabia's Revolution From the Top Has No Place for Critics
Last edited by Tanada on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken quote
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Peak Oil Discussion