Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Fracking Thread pt 4

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Fracking Thread pt 3

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 10:18:12

peripato wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote:...

One thing I hope you and others understand: despite your eyes possibly glazing over half wag they I left out a huge amount of detail on this subject matter. So when you read short little blerbs like the one that started this chat don't for minute think you really understand what the f*ck is going on. Some tease about my long posts. But the reality is that the subject matters we discuss are z tad more complex then a few lines can do justice to. Doc and I can just tell some of you that you're just acting like ignorant and foolish children. But what would be the point of wasting our time to do that.

Looks like I've ruffled a few feathers. Economically, physically, what's the difference? Frackers have been caught stealing other people's oil.

As Rockman has pointed out, you don't even understand what that is, in the oil and gas industry. Makes you a perfect peak oiler of course, it isn't as though you WANT to learn anything either.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 12:13:42

p - "Frackers have been caught stealing other people's oil." I'm sorry for being so harsh but your statement is a lie or made out of ignorance. Either way even though my long post was wasted on you others hopefully gained some useful insight. Unfortunately you're obviously are a lost cause. Sorry but have to cut you loose.

Via con dios, muchacho.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 14:59:38

ROCKMAN wrote:p - "Frackers have been caught stealing other people's oil." I'm sorry for being so harsh but your statement is a lie or made out of ignorance. Either way even though my long post was wasted on you others hopefully gained some useful insight. Unfortunately you're obviously are a lost cause. Sorry but have to cut you loose.

Via con dios, muchacho.

Don't feel bad Rock. This is such a common thing that they invented a saying for it, long ago.

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 17:17:06

Adam - I don't think he's stupid. Just a pre-set bias that can make it nearly impossible to absorb facts presented to him. Or worse: unwilling to take the time to up anotherdig the facts from the web. But with no background in the subject that would take 100's of hours to get even close to coming up the speed.

Which is why I tend to write such long posts. But still no way to give an in depth education. But if folks allow me a tad of credibility they may gain some understanding. And if they think my every word is a lie then so be it: they are too far gone anyway to help. For them their lives will be filled with bumper sticker snippets and news stories which they are unable to judge the validity of. Info they can only see with their terminally prejudiced blinded vision.

Unlike you, buddy, I'm content to leave them alone to stew in their own juices after I've made an effort or two to reach them. As I've said before: one should not try to teach pigs to roller skate: it only frustrates you and pisses them off. LOL
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 18:45:30

ROCKMAN wrote:p - "Frackers have been caught stealing other people's oil." I'm sorry for being so harsh but your statement is a lie or made out of ignorance. Either way even though my long post was wasted on you others hopefully gained some useful insight. Unfortunately you're obviously are a lost cause. Sorry but have to cut you loose.

Via con dios, muchacho.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, slick.
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby peripato » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 18:51:14

AdamB wrote:

Via con dios, muchacho.

Don't feel bad Rock. This is such a common thing that they invented a saying for it, long ago.

The whole fracking thing is built on lies, so why is the idea of frackers stealing other people's oil (well-bashing), so difficult to believe?

You are so sad. Even when the truth hits you right between the eyes like a piece of 4 x 2 you still can't accept it.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 22:40:16

ROCKMAN wrote:Adam - I don't think he's stupid.

Really? So you think just plays stupid around here? Dunno...we're talking about someone who on his off time spectates at forest clear cutting events, apparently NASCAR being too complex for him.

rockman wrote:Just a pre-set bias that can make it nearly impossible to absorb facts presented to him. Or worse: unwilling to take the time to up anotherdig the facts from the web. But with no background in the subject that would take 100's of hours to get even close to coming up the speed.

He has been told how things work by the likes of you and rocdoc for more than a decade now, 10,000's of posts, and still doesn't get the basics. Occam's Razor rockman....

Rockman wrote:Unlike you, buddy, I'm content to leave them alone to stew in their own juices after I've made an effort or two to reach them. As I've said before: one should not try to teach pigs to roller skate: it only frustrates you and pisses them off. LOL

You've been making an effort for years now Rock, not just some effort or two. Teaching a zealot to think is not much different than trying to explain aeronautical concepts to a pig...sometimes it is just better to strap them into a catapult and let them forcibly experience what they refuse to do on their own.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 23:06:43

I think this forum has already bottomed out as far as any useful insights that can be gleaned from anyone sharing their thoughts.

All that's left is people restating their stubborn belief-systems and hurling insults back and forth.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 23:52:45

asg

That's got a little too much truth to it (your observation) and I think it is a shame because we seem to be on the cusp of learning of a whole new generation of 'frac'ing' techniques.
The people who comment on this site and who are knowledgeable (RM, Adam, Rocdoc and a few others) are constantly battling an army of people who have no fucking clue about the hydrocarbon industry yet strenuously broadcast their ignorance and loathing of all things oil/gas related.

Recent production numbers out of the Bakken and Appalachian Basin indicate FAR more productivity from flowback techniques as well as proppant useage.

Operators are characteristically mum about specifics, but well profiles are showing dramatic increases these past several months.

It may be awhile before this gets more widespread attention and clarification, but the ramifications are enormous.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 00:23:43

Exxon Mobil plans $200 mln investment in Argentina's Vaca Muerta

BUENOS AIRES, Sept 1 (Reuters) - U.S. oil major Exxon Mobil Corp plans to invest $200 million to boost natural gas output in Argentina’s Vaca Muerta shale play, a spokeswoman told Reuters on Friday.

The company has asked the government of Neuquen province for a 35-year unconventional production concession in the Los Toldos I Sur block, the spokeswoman said. Exxon Chief Executive Officer Darren Woods informed President Mauricio Macri of the plans during a Thursday meeting at the presidential Pink House.

Attracting investment to the Belgium-sized Vaca Muerta play, one of the world’s largest unconventional gas reserves, is a key priority for Macri’s business-friendly administration as it seeks to boost local energy production in order to reduce costly imports.

Last year, Exxon said it could invest more than $10 billion in shale projects over 20 to 30 years in the region. In January, Macri reached a deal with unions and companies to lower very high labor costs and attract investment, though executives note that logistics costs remain high.

Exxon’s Argentine subsidiary owns 80 percent of the Los Toldos I Sur block and is the operator, while Argentine oil company Tecpetrol SA and province-owned Gas y Petroleo de Neuquen each control 10 percent. (Reporting by Luc Cohen; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)

https://www.reuters.com/article/argenti ... SL2N1LI1RA
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 00:50:56

T - That might sound like a lot but $200 million might only get 20 or 30 wells drilled. And that $10 billion = $300 to $500 million per year. A huge amount for Rockman's company but relatively small potatos for a company the size of XOM. And that $10 billion future expenditure could shrink a lot depending on how the first $200 million of drilling turns out. Remember Shell paid $1 billion for a single Eagle Ford Shale lease and spent around $1.5 billion drilling wells. And then sold the lease and producing wells for $700 million. And then completely abandoned the play. And that was back when oil was going for $90/bbl.

In the oil patch you have dream big if you want to win big. But sometimes the dream can turn into a nightmare.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 09:22:43

pstarr wrote:peripato, also stupid someecards are for losers, or people who have been hit on the head with wood. No someecard should ever be posted here.

Their reactions speak volumes. :-D
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby peripato » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 09:33:38

coffeeguyzz wrote:asg

That's got a little too much truth to it (your observation) and I think it is a shame because we seem to be on the cusp of learning of a whole new generation of 'frac'ing' techniques.
The people who comment on this site and who are knowledgeable (RM, Adam, Rocdoc and a few others) are constantly battling an army of people who have no fucking clue about the hydrocarbon industry yet strenuously broadcast their ignorance and loathing of all things oil/gas related.

Recent production numbers out of the Bakken and Appalachian Basin indicate FAR more productivity from flowback techniques as well as proppant useage.

Operators are characteristically mum about specifics, but well profiles are showing dramatic increases these past several months.

It may be awhile before this gets more widespread attention and clarification, but the ramifications are enormous.

The main ramifications on the horizon for fracking are bankruptcy and dissolution:

In World’s Hottest Oil Patch, Jitters Mount That a Bust Is Near

“What’s unusual, and unnerving, is that the Permian is still thrumming with activity after prices cratered for the stuff it pumps out. Crude is trading for around $50 a barrel, but this is the hottest oil patch anywhere on Earth, a swing producer influencing the trajectory of global markets and threatening OPEC.

“That either means the industry has become so incredibly efficient that production can continue to rise even if prices don’t, or that it’s throwing money after a mirage. Pruett, chief executive officer of Midland, Texas-based Elevation Resources LLC, is more and more concerned about the latter.

“Oil men are innately optimistic,” he said, “and sometimes our optimism is our own worst enemy.”

“…By this point, “we’ve given up all of our profit margin,” he said, referring to the industry. “We’re over-capitalized, we’re over-drilling and, if prices don’t rise, we might be facing a double dip in drilling…””
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Have the US passed peak shale

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 19 Oct 2017, 22:41:56

The worm is turning for the crude oil price and American petroleum's latest reporting season will likely announce a telling maturation of the US shale industry according to Woodside Petroleum chief executive, Peter Coleman. "The market is feeling pretty positive and we think there will be strengthening of crude prices before the end of the year," Coleman said on Thursday after the release of Woodside's wholly predictable but encouraging third quarter production numbers. "Oil demand is up this year by 1.6 [million barrels a day] and is expected to be up another 1.4 next year. And the US reporting season is going to be very interesting," he recommended. "It will signal whether people are still free to chase volumes or capital preservation has started in earnest. Anadarko is first out of the blocks with that buyback. This is going to tell us how

Have the US passed peak shale

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Have the US passed peak shale

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 19 Oct 2017, 22:44:01

Oh seriously, they actually titled the article "HAVE the US passed peak shale"?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 20 Oct 2017, 04:27:12

AdamB wrote:Oh seriously, they actually titled the article "HAVE the US passed peak shale"?

Maybe they are old fashioned? Before the US Civil War the proper statements were to refer to the USA as plural, as in "The United States Are". After the Civil war demonstrated the union was indissoluble the terminology shifted to "The United States Is".

So maybe the writer is asking "Have the (individual) US passed peak shale"?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 20 Oct 2017, 09:05:53

Tanada wrote:
AdamB wrote:Oh seriously, they actually titled the article "HAVE the US passed peak shale"?

Maybe they are old fashioned? Before the US Civil War the proper statements were to refer to the USA as plural, as in "The United States Are". After the Civil war demonstrated the union was indissoluble the terminology shifted to "The United States Is".

So maybe the writer is asking "Have the (individual) US passed peak shale"?

Considering how bad the reporting has been on most concepts contained within the US shale revolution (geology, engineering, economics) I find it unlikely that the same reporters that screw that up consistently were suddenly struck by a desire to write old fashioned. More likely they started out as twittering and tweeting experts and just screwed it up, and there editors didn't catch it, but now a day or so later you would think they would fix it. Or do people not even care about the obvious hiccups in these kinds of things in the world nowadays?

Seriously, I've interviewed candidates for positions who misspelled the title of their dissertation in their resume, how does ANYONE do that? But he was younger, it was his 2nd PhD, and it didn't seem to bother him in the least when I asked him about it.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 20 Oct 2017, 10:18:52

I bet they can at least spell Santa Claus.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology