Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Fracking Thread pt 4

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Fracking Thread pt 3

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 16:41:05

The Russians didn't just invent sh*t. A quick search found a govt sponsored report on TDGF (Thermodynamically Drive. Gas-dynamic Fracturing) from 2005. The final technical report was publishedf 7 years go. Didn't bother wasting time looking any further back in time.

And basically it's not so much fracturing as it is a thermal EOR method to increase oil flow by heating up the rock.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 21:28:13

I was also thinking that, like SAGD or THAI?

Not the same. SAGD involves injecting steam in injector wells and allowing gravity to drain the superheated oil into producing wells. THAI is more like the fire floods we experimented with back in the seventies. Steam is injected into a horizontal well and once the reservoir temperature reaches a certain level oxygen is injected which results in combustion. The problem with both technologies has been predictability of flow and in the case of THAI (much like the fire floods run in the seventies) reservoir damage. The TDGF idea is completely different. It is proposed to be used in semi-depleted conventional reservoirs that might be damaged and hence recovery is less than expected. Rather than doing a conventional water/surfactant frack in a given well what they propose is doing the pressure frack with chemicals that essentially create a heated frack. This not only is supposed to improve permeability but also oil mobility. Whether or not it can change wettability in the reservoir is unknown and that is a big question. There is no combustion that happens (as far as I can tell from the paper I read) so a great portion of the fluids should be recovered and recycled. All that being said the effect of this method will only reach not much more than 100 metres from a well bore under existing mega-frack technology. So the overall increased recovery may not be that great. That being said experimentation in areas like this are what drives innovation in the industry and eventually improved recovery.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 11:55:37

ROCKMAN wrote:The Russians didn't just invent sh*t.

They didn't say they discovered anything. They said they built a technology that they tested and it produced certain results. It is probably based on some soviet time research anyway.
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 13:52:42

Radon - Perhaps English is your second language. LOL. From your link: "Russian scientists and local oil field services companies claim to have created a technology for thermochemical gas fracturing that could be an alternative to hydraulic fracturing..."

FYI: created = invented. Copying someone else's homework is not doing your home work. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby radon1 » Sat 19 Aug 2017, 03:59:00

ROCKMAN wrote:Radon - Perhaps English is your second language. LOL. From your link: "Russian scientists and local oil field services companies claim to have created a technology for thermochemical gas fracturing that could be an alternative to hydraulic fracturing..."

FYI: created = invented. Copying someone else's homework is not doing your home work. LOL.

My first language is the language of the original text and I can tell you that in the context, created=/=invented. In the context, created = developed. Whether they copy-pasted anything I have no idea. If they did and the results were so promising, then why wasn't this technology promoted previously by whoever developed it in the first place?
radon1
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sun 20 Aug 2017, 09:47:52

radon1 wrote:
ROCKMAN wrote:The Russians didn't just invent sh*t.

They didn't say they discovered anything. They said they built a technology that they tested and it produced certain results. It is probably based on some soviet time research anyway.

The world is supposed to know, thanks to American propaganda, that only Americans can invent and develop technology of any type. The rest of humanity is living in mud huts while the residents of Exceptionalistan have a monopoly on human intelligence. Obama claimed "Russia doesn't make anything".

Arrogant American prats take the cake. Being in North America I know that most indigenous students do not take math, science and engineering courses through the university level. They are all into "business", etc. America staffs its research centers with Chinese and other foreigners. This includes MIT, etc.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 21 Aug 2017, 00:47:35

radon - "If they did and the results were so promising, then why wasn't this technology promoted previously by whoever developed it in the first place?" Who said those results were promising? Their lab tests were failures. Not only was the method never tried in a actual field test they couldn't even get the equipment to function without destroying it. So they dropped the concept. In fact it was so far from being proven to be commercially viable no one in the US pursued it any further.

And it you read the detailed Russian press releases they have NOT PROVEN the technique is commercially viable in an actual reservoir. From Russian lips:

"The Oil Technology Center is conducting experimental-industrial trials in the oil fields that belong to Lukoil and Rosneft."

And if you understood the basic concept behind frac'ng you would not be very hopeful. Producing fractures in a reservoir does little to nothing to increase productivity. Because of "sealing pressure" the fractures close and heal themselves. Methods for inducing such fractures are over a 100 years old. What is required are proppants pumped into such newly created fractures. Where the term "proppant" comes from: those sands grains "prop" open the fractures. Without the proppants the rock pressure forces the fractures closed. In fact, in very high pressure reservoirs they use material like sintered bauxite as a proppant: the "sealing pressure" is so high it crushes the sand grains and the fractures seal.

So we might as well table this discussion until the Russians provide something more then THEORIES. Like actual DOCUMENTED proof the technique not only works but is also a economically viable option. Will probably take a few years one way or the other.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 21:16:11

Fracking “technological breakthrough” is theft

In effect, the fracking companies have been drilling into oil deposits already owned by conventional oil companies… and damaging the existing wells in the process. This is likely to result in lengthy court disputes that will add to the financial woes of the fracking companies.
"Don’t panic, Wall St. is safe!"
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:04:10

So the hysteria about fracking is a form of magical thinking. The same glass of water can be emptied forever.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:44:16

This has nothing to do with shale and marginally to do with fracking. What these group of independents in Oklahoma are complaining about is that a new regulation would allow long horizontal wells (not necessarily fracked) in multiple horizons that are considered conventional. Because the laws regarding competitive drainage are almost non-existent in Oklahoma this creates a major problem. As well because the independent producers almost certainly haven't provided a downhole survey to the State regulator it would be impossible for someone drilling a horizontal well to be sure of avoiding intersecting that borehole. When oil companies drill wells in active areas one of the first things they do is a wellbore avoidance study where downhole surveys from all wells are plotted along with the proposed trajectory of the planned well. The trajectory is adjusted accordingly.

In Canada, there are very strict regulations around competitive drainage and the regulators rule quite quickly when complaints are registered. The US industry had a long history of competitive drainage going unregulated with rigs closely stacked, all interfering production-wise with one another.

Fracked wells in tight sands and shales seldom interfere with one another because the average radius of frack extent is about 150 m maximum. So if well bores are situated more than 300 m apart there is little chance of interference taking place.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 19:55:55

rockdoc123 wrote:This has nothing to do with shale and marginally to do with fracking. What these group of independents in Oklahoma are complaining about is that a new regulation would allow long horizontal wells (not necessarily fracked) in multiple horizons that are considered conventional. Because the laws regarding competitive drainage are almost non-existent in Oklahoma this creates a major problem. As well because the independent producers almost certainly haven't provided a downhole survey to the State regulator it would be impossible for someone drilling a horizontal well to be sure of avoiding intersecting that borehole. When oil companies drill wells in active areas one of the first things they do is a wellbore avoidance study where downhole surveys from all wells are plotted along with the proposed trajectory of the planned well. The trajectory is adjusted accordingly.

In Canada, there are very strict regulations around competitive drainage and the regulators rule quite quickly when complaints are registered. The US industry had a long history of competitive drainage going unregulated with rigs closely stacked, all interfering production-wise with one another.

Fracked wells in tight sands and shales seldom interfere with one another because the average radius of frack extent is about 150 m maximum. So if well bores are situated more than 300 m apart there is little chance of interference taking place.

You're in denial. The source in the article, The Oklahoma Corporation Commission, mentions fracking as the culprit several times.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 20:53:36

the actual source of the study is the Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance which is a group of independent producers of vertical wells in conventional reservoirs. The article linked to mentions fracking companies but it isn't the fracks that the OEPA are concerned about. It is the fact the long reach wells are intersecting their well bores or close enough that they are competitively draining from the conventional reservoir.

It isn't about fracking at all. Whether the well is fracked or not fracked doesn't matter if it intersects a well bore previously drilled and currently producing.

Here is the OEPA website which describes what they are about.
https://okenergyproducers.org/about/
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Sat 23 Sep 2017, 22:45:04

rockdoc123 wrote:the actual source of the study is the Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance which is a group of independent producers of vertical wells in conventional reservoirs. The article linked to mentions fracking companies but it isn't the fracks that the OEPA are concerned about. It is the fact the long reach wells are intersecting their well bores or close enough that they are competitively draining from the conventional reservoir.

It isn't about fracking at all. Whether the well is fracked or not fracked doesn't matter if it intersects a well bore previously drilled and currently producing.

Here is the OEPA website which describes what they are about.
https://okenergyproducers.org/about/

the actual source of the study is the Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance

Whatever.

It still says fracking is the bad guy here. Why do you persist in saying otherwise? We all know that the industry is built on cheap money and b.s. Just like the rest of the U.S. economy.
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 01:14:40

pstarr wrote:
rockdoc wrote:" It is the fact the long reach wells are intersecting their well bores or close enough that they are competitively draining from the conventional reservoir.

It isn't about fracking at all. Whether the well is fracked or not fracked doesn't matter if it intersects a well bore previously drilled and currently producing. "

Really, doc? No. Not after years of your lecturing and fine instruction lol We know better than to buy your BS.

Says an ardent member of the the chowderhead brigade. You really need to learn something about well interference pstarr...but then...if you did....you would disprove the operating theory that you don't listen, refuse to read explanations that make perfect sense, and can't think your way out of a wet paper bag.

pstarr wrote:There is no point to long laterals in that regions except to drain tight shale. And I would willing to bet there's some propulsive proppants involved. Really, doc?

Except for when they aren't draining shale..but then...for you to know that means you would have needed to listen. And that goes against your religious beliefs of just making it up as you go along.

I've drilled long laterals into shallow sand reservoirs pstarr...there...are you happy now that you have learned something and don't need to be ignorant about where long laterals are drilled?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 01:41:03

peripato - It is possible for the pressure generated by a frac job to affect a nearby vertical well. But it would have to be very close. But on the order of tens of feet. Which is not what's happening in OK. Read the report again closely: no one is claiming those 450 wells were PHYSICALLY damaged: "...damaged economically".

IOW the horizontal wells were not drilled on the same leases owned by the vertical well operators: that's illegal in every state. But a company has the right to produce any well drilled on a lease the own. I drill Texas and Louisiana...not OK. So I had to just skim their regs. Like both Texas and Louisiana in OK you can only drill and produce on a STATE APPROVED unit. Besides that unit having to be 100% on a lease the company owns it has to be a certain distance from a lease owned by another company. There no way to legally challenge those STATE REGULATIONS. To get a drilling permit you give up that right.

Now this is where I'm not 100% certain about OK but I think it's the same as Texas: the "right of capture" applies. As long as my Texas unit has been approved by the state and my well (vert or hz) is drilled the STATE mandated distance I can economically damage you and you can't do a f*cking thing about it. LOL.

But seriously, you can't. That case law is written in Texas. If Jesus Christ showed in court and testified that my LEGALLY drilled frac'd horizontal well was sucking oil from your lease I still wouldn't have to pay you $1. OTOH you do have the right to drill a LEGALLY located frac'd horizontal well on your side of the lease line opposite my well. The idea is that you can't stop me from producing my lease by not developing the reservoir on your side of the lease line.

And how about Louisiana? A very different set of rules. You might drill a LEGALLY located well on your side of that lease line that makes 1,000 bopd. But if I can confine the UNITIZATION COMMISSION that my geologist's may is right you might have to give me 700 of those 1,000 bopd. About 40 years ago this law led to huge technical trials before the Commission sometimes with $100 of millions at stake. And just like big criminal trials bring out top gun lawyers this unitization hearings would bring out highly paid consultants that did nothing else but represent companies. And for good reason: I once saw a company's geologist ripped so badly on the stand (yes you sit in the stand in front of the Commission and court room and GEF relentlessly grilled about your geologic interpretation) that he actually left the court room in tears. The lesson: you use the hired guns to argue your case and not one of you staff geologist. The owner of my company, who was a rather cutthroat hardass himself, afterwards admitted he felt a bit ashamed over how much of the other company's production the Commission assigned us: about 2X what I mapped. Mapping the Commission never got to see.

But nearly so much drama these days. Now one gets a state approved drilling unit that can include offset lease owners...whether they like it or not. Called "forced pooling". And if they don't choose to share in the drill cost they can suffer a huge financial penalty if the well is good.

One thing I hope you and others understand: despite your eyes possibly glazing over half wag they I left out a huge amount of detail on this subject matter. So when you read short little blerbs like the one that started this chat don't for minute think you really understand what the f*ck is going on. Some tease about my long posts. But the reality is that the subject matters we discuss are z tad more complex then a few lines can do justice to. Doc and I can just tell some of you that you're just acting like ignorant and foolish children. But what would be the point of wasting our time to do that.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby peripato » Sun 24 Sep 2017, 02:20:16

ROCKMAN wrote:...

One thing I hope you and others understand: despite your eyes possibly glazing over half wag they I left out a huge amount of detail on this subject matter. So when you read short little blerbs like the one that started this chat don't for minute think you really understand what the f*ck is going on. Some tease about my long posts. But the reality is that the subject matters we discuss are z tad more complex then a few lines can do justice to. Doc and I can just tell some of you that you're just acting like ignorant and foolish children. But what would be the point of wasting our time to do that.

Looks like I've ruffled a few feathers. Economically, physically, what's the difference? Frackers have been caught stealing other people's oil.

“At least 450 older vertical wells in Kingfisher County alone have been damaged economically because of bigger horizontal wells in the area, according to an interim report by vertical producers.

“The Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance released the interim study last week, saying it indicates that the older wells have experienced widespread well bashing and that damage has cost producers and royalty owners throughout the state.”
peripato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology