Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Oil Market

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Oil Market Outlook

Unread postby anarky321 » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 16:06:17

no web stream?
anarky321
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AAA » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 16:22:18

anarky321 wrote:no web stream?

Not that I know of. Our group listened to it via phone conference.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Thu 05 Feb 2009, 16:36:53

Keep an eye on MS's webcast page: morgan stanley Resources | BNET.

Sadad, interesting.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby timmatoil » Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:03:25

Any one else think oil, like gold, could act as a store of value rather than a growth investment?
timmatoil
Wood
Wood

Energy Market Analysis

Unread postby Graeme » Wed 15 Apr 2009, 23:35:38

Energy Market Analysis

The EIA released their Short term Energy Outlook on Tuesday morning. The report was bearish but it did not present as bearish an outlook as the IEA report released last Friday. In a market that is looking for every excuse in the world to move to higher ground there are definitely degrees of bearishness. Following are some of the main highlights from the report.

World oil consumption is expected to decline by 1.35 million bpd in 2009 compared to 2008. EIA assumes that the global gross domestic product (GDP), weighted by oil consumption, will fall by 0.8 percent this year. Consumption is expected to fall by 1.6 million bbl/d in the OECD countries and rise by 270,000 bbl/d in non-OECD nations. The bulk of the decline is expected to be concentrated in the first half of the year. World oil consumption is expected to grow by 1.1 million bbl/d in 2010, driven by a recovery of global GDP growth to 2.6 percent.

Non-OPEC supplies for 2009 are expected to be close to last year’s levels. The United States , Brazil , and Azerbaijan will show large growth in supplies this year. However, these increases in production are offset by large declines in production from Mexico , the North Sea, and Russia . Non-OPEC supply is expected to increase by a modest 260,000 bbl/d in 2010, due to increasing production from Brazil , the United States , and the former Soviet Union .

Estimated OPEC crude oil production fell by 1.1 million bbl/d during the fourth quarter of 2008, reaching 30.6 million bbl/d, then fell by an additional 2.1 million bbl/d in the first quarter of 2009 to 28.5 million bbl/d. EIA expects production to remain close to that level in the second quarter, then gradually increase to about 29.2 million bbl/d in the fourth quarter. EIA expects OPEC crude oil production in 2009 to average 28.8 million bbl/d, then rise to 29.8 million bbl/d in 2010 in response to an expected increase in world oil consumption.

OECD commercial inventories at year-end 2008 stood at 2.68 billion barrels. At 56 days of forward cover, OECD commercial inventories were above average levels for that time of year. Preliminary estimates suggest that OECD commercial inventories at the end of March 2009, measured in terms of days of forward supply, continued to remain substantially above average levels for this time of year

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=49377
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Energy Market Analysis

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 16 Apr 2009, 01:34:56

There won't be a crises. It doesn't take much gas to walk or bike to your local soup kitchen.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Oil Traders May Start Selling Stored Crude as Contango Wanes

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 05 May 2009, 22:39:17

This will be interesting to watch.

>>> Bloomberg <<<
Oil Traders Are Likely to Start Selling Stored Crude, JBC Says
By Alexander Kwiatkowski

May 5 (Bloomberg) -- Oil traders who have been keeping as much as 100 million barrels of crude on tankers to profit from forward prices are likely to start selling the cargoes as the incentive to store wanes, consultant JBC Energy said today.

BP Plc, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and Hess Corp. are among oil companies whose first-quarter earnings were boosted by storing crude in tankers. By anchoring laden vessels offshore, companies were able to profit from the so-called contango, where crude contracts for delivery in the future are more expensive than near-term supply.

“Oil should soon start to return to the market as contango structures appear to be narrowing, especially in the U.S.,” Vienna-based JBC said in an e-mailed research note today. JBC estimates that as of end-April, 40 million barrels were being stored in the U.S. Gulf Coast while as many as 24 million barrels were anchored off the U.K. and West Africa.

[...]

JBC estimates that as of end-April, 40 million barrels were being stored in the U.S. Gulf Coast

I hope they can find somewhere to fit all that! :lol:
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: Oil Traders May Start Selling Stored Crude as Contango Wanes

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 05 May 2009, 22:47:13

Oops, sorry pup I didn't see you posted it in the other thread. [smilie=BangHead.gif]
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

The Oil Market

Unread postby peeker01 » Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:48:57

Here is an excellent article supporting the popular contention that the price of oil is
disconnected from supply and demand.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oil-mark ... del-2011-8
peeker01
Permanently Banned

Iranian sanctions and potential impact on oil market

Unread postby Graeme » Sat 27 Apr 2013, 19:15:12

Iranian sanctions and potential impact on oil market

With an expected drop in demand for oil this year and increase in non-OPEC supplies, the oil market is waiting anxiously to see how US-led Western sanctions against Iran will unfold after they complete full year in effect.

Since they came into force in the summer of last year, there was a trend of fluctuation between one month and another in the volume of Iranian exports, though the general trend seems to be going downward.

For instance, last March Iranian exports plunged by almost one quarter from the level achieved in the previous month, or February, when an estimated 810,000 barrels per day were believed to have been loaded for export against 1.1 million bpd in the month before.

Despite the resolve of the US and its European allies to continue with their sanctions program, the main consumers led by China and many other Asian importers were exempted or found ways as Japan did by providing its own insurance.

The other tactic used is to use barter as an economic arrangement to buy for itself some of its needs against some crude cargo.

Ironically one of the biggest developing markets for Iranian barter deals is Iraq who a decade ago was invaded by the Bush administration with the hope of turning it into a base for change in the region.

So it seems the near and short term outlook for the oil market will be governed by regular adjustments by key players led by the Kingdom hoping to strike some kind of a balance in the mean time.

arabnews
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Market Power, Production (Mis)Allocation and OPEC

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 11 Sep 2017, 12:35:39

OPEC Added Billions to Cost of Oil Production, New Research Says

By limiting production in member countries, OPEC drove up oil production costs and reshaped the world’s oil industry.

DURHAM, N.C. – OPEC’s effects on the world economy extend far beyond the prices that consumers see at the pump, says new research from Duke University, KU Leuven and UCLA.

Over the course of 40 years, the oil industry cartel not only drove up the cost of crude oil production by some $160 billion, it also helped change the direction of the oil industry, the authors say.

The authors examined 34 years of data on crude oil production, from 1970 to 2014. The study was unusually comprehensive, covering 13,248 oil fields worldwide — virtually all of the world’s oil active fields. The results appear online in a new National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) working paper.

All of these expensive technologies have evolved because OPEC countries limit oil output.

“Many of these technologies – fracking, for instance — would not exist if not for the activities of the OPEC cartel,” Collard-Wexler said.

While the paper focuses on OPEC, the findings’ implications extend to the role of monopolies and near-monopolies, the authors say, suggesting that monopolies’ economic harm can extend far beyond prices.
“Our findings suggest that monopolies raise the cost of production”

Prices alone may be too narrow a focus,” Collard-Wexler said. “Regulators examining a proposed merger may want to consider other potential economic effects of monopolies, too.”

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Market Power, Production (Mis)Allocation and OPEC

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 11 Sep 2017, 13:46:23

The operating costs quoted are incorrect. The author seems to be mixing full cost breakeven costs with lifting costs. As an example for Ghawar the lifting costs are a bit less than $7, likely in the $5 range. But for the Bakken $51/bbl reflects a breakeven cost or the cost to explore, develop and then lift a barrel of oil. Lease operating costs (or lifting costs) for the Bakken are generally less than $10/bbl. In the north sea OPEX is high at around $40/bbl for some fields a product of expensive platforms and necessary maintenance.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 11 Sep 2017, 14:13:51

More bone-headed errors occur in the panel describing Alaska.

There is no oil producing are in Alaska called the "North Shore." Perhaps they meant the North Slope?

The photos show offshore rigs in Cook Inlet---an area that produces only a tiny amount of oil.

Most of the oil in Alaska comes from land based oil fields---not offshore as Duke University wrongly believes.

SHEESH!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 11 Sep 2017, 14:24:59

Plantagenet wrote:More bone-headed errors occur in the panel describing Alaska.

There is no oil producing are in Alaska called the "North Shore." Perhaps they meant the North Slope?

The photos show offshore rigs in Cook Inlet---an area that produces only a tiny amount of oil.

Most of the oil in Alaska comes from land based oil fields---not offshore as Duke University wrongly believes.

SHEESH!

If people want to criticize much of the MSM, they don't have to look for dark widespread conspiracies. They can point to basic COMPETENCE -- almost every day, and certainly every week.

I'm sure I'm old fashioned, but I expect supposedly professional reporters (for the MSM articles I read) to have an excellent grasp on English. This would include things like grammar, spelling, using the correct word, being able to form a coherent sentence, etc. I also would expect them to have researched their subject matter, especially if somewhat technical, enough that they can at least get the vast majority of the BASIC facts correct. (i.e. have a clue what they're talking about).

Now, to me, the percentage of times supposedly top MSM media outlets (including newspapers, magazines, and TV, and of course internet reporting) let their customers down on these fronts is appalling. I realize of course, that cost cutting is partly responsible for this, but at what price?

(And I know Duke isn't the MSM, but they're supposedly a highly regarded major university -- which IMO should competently report a story, or should stop reporting. Oh, and if I can't trust their competence in basic reporting -- should I trust their analysis? Should I trust their conclusions? Especially if they likely have a political axe to grind re their economic viewpoint (as most of the MSM, both left and right wing, does?)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

In Today’s Oil Market, It’s America Last

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 15:06:40

America is, as you know, a bit different from the rest of the world. Lately, this exceptionalism has been more noticeable than usual in the oil market: It isn't just the outright price where a gap has opened up. The shape of the futures curves -- how barrels for delivery down the road are being priced -- for U.S. and international grades of crude oil are also striking different poses: The discount for West Texas Intermediate, or WTI, blew out from about $4.50 a barrel to $6 in the run-up to and immediate aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in late August and early September. This made sense as disruption to refineries, pipelines and ports kept barrels trapped in the country. But the spread had already doubled in the month before the storm hit Texas and Louisiana. And two months on, with the U.S. oil industry having largely

In Today’s Oil Market, It’s America Last
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: In Today’s Oil Market, It’s America Last

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 02 Nov 2017, 18:10:07

AdamB wrote:
The discount for West Texas Intermediate, or WTI, blew out from about $4.50 a barrel to $6 in the run-up to and immediate aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in late August and early September.

But yet with just a wee bit of perspective and a quick search on Google, we see that looking just 5 years back, this spread has spent a LOT of time over $10, and significant time over $15 and even over $20.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/brent_wti_spread

It's like these market commentators have to say SOMETHING to get paid. So this article gets written with (I paraphrase): "Hey look -- I noticed this recent blip in this spread, but I really have no meaningful insight into why it might be. And since this is common, I only show the short term, to try to make it look far more significant than it is, and hope readers won't notice, or do a 30 second Google search."

So, just out of curiosity, I tried Googling "why is the brent wti spread getting bigger" (figuring that the market isn't doing this at random).

Sure enough, several hits for articles on places like Seeking Alpha, The Financial Times, etc. all dated 9/2017. Dunno if they "know", but at least they have theories, like more US oil exports to come, and that US exports will prevent a "massive" blowout in the spread.

This kind of speculation (i.e. playing with trading such spreads in crude) is beyond my trading experience, so I have no opinion -- just pointing out the obvious, per easy to find web hits.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

US Sanctions Five Iranian Entities, Signals More Measures

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 05 Jan 2018, 21:09:41

The U.S sanctioned five Iranian entities for their work on the nation’s ballistic missile program and signaled that more punitive measures lay ahead in response to the Islamic Republic’s suppression of anti-government protests. The entities, none of which are publicly traded, are being designated for being owned or controlled by Iran’s Shahid Bakeri Industrial Group, the Treasury Department said in a statement released Thursday. “The United States will continue to decisively counter the Iranian regime’s malign activity, including additional sanctions targeting human rights abuses,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in the statement. The Trump administration plans to ask the UN Human Rights Council to convene an emergency session on protests in Iran in which the U.S. believes at least 21 people have been killed and more than 1,000 arrested, U.S. officials have said. Thousands of Iranians have taken part in unrest across the country

US Sanctions Five Iranian Entities, Signals More Measures
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Iran Sanctions Will Help China’s Petro-Yuan

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 10 Jan 2018, 20:54:42

In a few days, U.S. President Trump may try to re-impose sanctions on Iran, a dramatic step that could heighten tensions between the two countries. Some analysts believe the move could contribute to a much broader global economic power shift from the U.S. to China. The connection between the issues may not be obvious at first glance, but by seeking to isolate Iran from the international market, Iran could look elsewhere. Because the global oil trade is conducted in greenbacks, the U.S Treasury was able to restrict Iran’s ability to access the global financial system in the past. That made it extremely difficult for Iran to sell its oil prior to the thaw in relations in 2015, which kept millions of barrels of daily oil production on the sidelines. This time around, however, the U.S. will likely go it alone. The Trump administration

Iran Sanctions Will Help China’s Petro-Yuan

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

How China Is About to Shake Up the Oil Futures Market

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 17:52:18

China, the world’s biggest oil buyer, is opening a domestic market to trade futures contracts. It’s been planning one for years, only to encounter delays. The Shanghai International Energy Exchange, a unit of Shanghai Futures Exchange, will be known by the acronym INE and will allow Chinese buyers to lock in oil prices and pay in local currency. Also, foreign traders will be allowed to invest -- a first for China’s commodities markets -- because the exchange is registered in Shanghai’s free trade zone. There are implications for the U.S. dollar’s well-established role as the global currency of the oil market. 1. When will trading begin? From March 26. Daytime trading hours will be from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. local time and at night from 9 p.m. through 2:30 a.m. The push for oil futures

How China Is About To Shake Up the Oil Futures Market

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Glut Or Deficit: Where Are Oil Markets Headed?

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 14 Mar 2018, 21:03:16

A flurry of recent oil market forecasts have sent a lot of mixed messages about what to expect both in the near-term and over the next several years. Is U.S. shale about to flood the market, setting off another bust? Or is demand so strong that with the oil market already rapidly tightening, another price rally is in store? Obviously, nobody knows how to untangle the long list of variables that will ultimately decide what happens next, but the divergence in opinions is rather striking. By and large, the discrepancy is over the difference between the short-term and the medium-term. Surging U.S. shale production is keeping the market well supplied right now, but soaring demand and the lack of major conventional projects in the works will lead to a price spike somewhere down the line. Nevertheless, there is also disagreement over the immediate

Glut Or Deficit: Where Are Oil Markets Headed?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion