Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

Unread postby pstarr » Sat 02 Sep 2017, 18:48:59

Appears the Shareroller is gone, disappeared from the web.

I like the idea and design, though tire-friction drives can be hard on the rubber tire.
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:13:33

It's not dead yet. Here's a link that includes the most recent update [August 7th] from the developer. The tire wear issue isn't a deal breaker for me and may not be to bad. At least putting on a new tire won't be any more difficult since the bike remains original. I read that changing a tire on ebike can be very difficult depending on the drive method.
KrellEnergySource
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 10:23:34

eastbay wrote:Well look what I found! Anyone interested in motorcycle fuel economy must read this.

I'm thinking of trading in my 150 cc Derbi scooter for a Honda 250 Nighthawk which was recently rated at 90 mpg by Cycleworld magazine. My scooter is only getting 85 mpg and the Nighthawk gas tank holds 4.3 gallons offering a range of over 350 miles which will mean less waiting time in the soon-coming gas lines.

My son just completed his motorcycle endorsement training and test on a 250 Nighthawk. He wasn't impressed, but admittedly this were the bikes hundreds of prior students had trained on, so who knows what kind of mechanical shape they were in by the time he used his.

Things have certainly changed since 2008 though. Back then, I was still under the impression that motorcycles were great for fuel mileage, and with peak oil having just happened, you knew those 2008 prices were here to stay.

How things change in a decade. Now every car I am responsible for gets better than 30 mpg on the highway, from 300HP convertibles to direct injected, intercooled, turbocharged selectable AWD 4 bangers that go around corners as good as they go in the snow.

And peak oil personal transport? Beats motorcycles hands down, currently at 250 mpg, hasn't had any gas put in the tank since early June. Won't need any until next year. Tank a year cars on the daily driver....thank you peak oil for giving us transport that doesn't need liquid fuels, that we may help save our planet, and separate the true environmentalists from the faux!
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby KrellEnergySource » Sun 03 Sep 2017, 14:23:04

Here's a link to the still active indiegogo page of the ShareRoller.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shar ... #/comments

And here's the link I tried to attach earlier, where the device is discussed at Electric Bike Review.

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/th ... 176/page-2

Brian
KrellEnergySource
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency