Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE North Korea Thread pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: U.S. Navy sends strike group toward North Korea

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 29 Apr 2017, 02:09:19

Newfie wrote:
Was Stalin crazy?

Hitler?

The word "crazy" has divergent meanings. It can mean complete insanity, i.e. disassociation from reality. It can also mean someone who loses their temper, i.e. "he went crazy and started yelling when I told him that"

I'm using the term as a synonym for insanity, i.e. a disassociation from reality to the point that someone can't function in the world.

I don't know much about Stalin's career, but I would argue that Hilter was not insane in the early stages of his career. He functioned in the world very well---he built a successful political movement, was a mesmerizing orator, had strong personal relationships with colleagues and his mistress, became the leader of Germany, negotiated and completed treaties and alliances with Italy and the USSR, etc. etc.

However, I think HItler began to lose his mind during WWII, probably due to heavy drug use. He became addicted to opiates and other drugs after 1941. At about the same Hitler made a series of disastrous decisions, including deciding to invade his erstwhile allies in the USSR.

Hitler's well known irrational demands that his generals send imaginary armies and divisions to the front in the USSR,--- i.e. units that had already been destroyed--- clearly show that by 1944 he was delusional about what was going on in the real world , i.e. I would say at that point he had gone "crazy."
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 29 Apr 2017, 02:21:15

Plantagenet wrote:However, I think HItler began to lose his mind during WWII, probably due to heavy drug use. He became addicted to opiates and other drugs after 1941. At about the same Hitler made a series of disastrous decisions, including deciding to invade his erstwhile allies in the USSR.

Hitler's well known irrational demands that his generals send imaginary armies and divisions to the front in the USSR,--- i.e. units that had already been destroyed--- clearly show that by 1944 he was delusional about what was going on in the real world , i.e. I would say at that point he had gone "crazy."

I think you have that about right. You have to wonder what drugs Kim kicks back with after a long day?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Apr 2017, 13:25:04

Kim grew up in a world where his Grandfather and Father were idolized. He knew that role would pass to him. Who knows how he was really raised and how he was treated and taught how to think of himself. It maybe that he has bought into the silly story line he is selling his people and the world.

Drugs? I don't know. But power is a wicked awsome drug in its own right.

Durant says Kim is out to end the world. I don't know why he is saying that. Maybe just yapping or maybe he knows something.

But in the end it seems clear to me Kim is a nut job.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 15:58:16

From Trump's latest tweet:

"While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!"

Do any of you read anything in this latest tweet? Sounds vaguely ominous.

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 16:11:08

Cog wrote:From Trump's latest tweet:

"While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!"

Do any of you read anything in this latest tweet? Sounds vaguely ominous.

As Bill Clinton showed, one of the best things a President can do to boost his own stature when facing impeachment is to start a little war in some far away foreign land.

Its not like North Korea doesn't deserve to have its nuclear weapons taken away, but it won't hurt Trump's poll numbers to do a Bill Clinton and go to war against an evil little country either.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 20:19:02

Cog,
I don't know. It's Trump you are asking about. Best to just wait and see.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 08 Aug 2017, 17:32:04

Sounds like we just edged a bit closer to war. Does Trump bluff? Guess we will find out.

Youtube of Trump's statement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO9IXVk0xzU

Text:

"North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States," Trump told reporters, speaking slowly and deliberately with his arms crossed in front of him. "They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening ... and as I said they will be met with fire, fury and frankly power, the likes of which this world has never seen before."
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:31:29

Exceptionalistan logic is thick and rich with BS. Why is it only the USA that is threatened by NK? I know Americans think that they are the only humans in the universe worthy of note, but it looks like full bore paranoia on the part of the USA. China and Russia are much easier targets for the NK nutjob. But somehow it is America, on the other side of the planet (literally) that is "most threatened". Americans consume too much fake news and can't tell what is real anymore. It's America's demented, phobia driven policy in regards to NK that is driving NK to develop ICBMs and nuclear warheads. America can't use the response to its naked aggression as a pretext for the naked aggression.
dissident
Expert
Expert

THE North Korea Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 08:31:23

Hearing that Guam is under high alert for N.Korea attack. Can anyone confirm. ?
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Re: Latest NK missile test - What they aren't telling you

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 09:18:33

It's all over every news channel in Oceania & Indochina.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:26:16

I think Trump is bluffing

He thinks he can bully Kim into giving up his nukes by blustering and tweeting.
IMHO It isn't going work
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 11:36:00

Hey COG, you booking a vacation to Guam?

Link to story on recommended awareness. Can't quite call it preps.

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.usatoday. ... 558553001/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 15:42:16

Those 28,000 US troops have kept South Korea from communist domination since 1950.

Now some might prefer to live under the strict control of a communist regime like North Korea. If you feel so, knock yourself and emigrate. I'm sure Kim would love to have you. Last American to visit there got beat into a coma but your results might vary.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AgentR11 » Sun 13 Aug 2017, 10:15:40

Cog wrote:Those 28,000 US troops have kept South Korea from communist domination since 1950.

The point is that they are a sufficient tripwire defense; those troops are no where near sufficient to force regime change in NK.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 13 Aug 2017, 16:35:33

http://www.answercoalition.org/3_big_li ... orth_korea

Lie #1: North Korea constantly threatens and provokes the United States
Lie #2: North Korea is a “rogue state” led by a madman who clings to nuclear weapons and refuses to negotiate

Lie #3: The Korean War has been over for more than 60  years
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 13 Aug 2017, 22:44:45

What did Bill Clinton do when Ken Starr was after him? He started a little war with Serbia and his poll numbers went up.

Trump is following the same strategy----he's got Mueller after him so he starts a tiff with North Korea and his poll numbers go up. If Trump can get a shooting war started then his poll numbers may go over 50%
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 14 Aug 2017, 00:09:15

Plantagenet wrote:What did Bill Clinton do when Ken Starr was after him? He started a little war with Serbia and his poll numbers went up.

Trump is following the same strategy----he's got Mueller after him so he starts a tiff with North Korea and his poll numbers go up. If Trump can get a shooting war started then his poll numbers may go over 50%

And you think this will make Mueller go away? I don't.

Do you think this will keep his poll numbers high for years if he keeps saying and doing very stupid things every week? I don't.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion