Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

New cardboard bike

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: New cardboard bike

Unread postby Revi » Wed 17 Oct 2012, 15:30:37

I went with a friend to one of those sales the cops put on of old bikes. I think he got them for less than a buck each. Cheap bikes are everywhere right now, but they will be scarce and useful again soon.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Narz » Mon 22 Oct 2012, 23:45:27

Pretty cool, for $20 I'd buy one.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”
Narz
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby kublikhan » Tue 23 Oct 2012, 00:22:05

It's got solid rubber tires. I rode a bike once with solid rubber tires. Never again. They are TERRIBLE!! The pneumatic tire is 10x better than solid rubber tires. You could not pay me to ride this bike.

There is a reason that the inflatable tire has dominated since it's invention by Dunlop. Materials are getting better but they still don't provide the combination of strength and cushioning of the inflated tire.
the pneumatic tire solves LOTs of bike problems
cushioning
traction
light weight
comfort
cheapness

now think about solid tires over rocks and roots
uugghghhhh!!
I haven't ridden them but people I know and trust have and they all say that they are terrible. They give a rough ride and they get poorer traction than a pneumatic tire.
Solid tires are awful. They weigh a ton and ride like they were made of cast iron. There is a very good reason why 99 .99% of bike tires have air inside
You cant beat pneumatic tires.
Are solid rubber bike tires ok?
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 23 Oct 2012, 03:51:41

Agreed! Why not pneumatic? Solid rubber tyres are rubbish.

(I just read Kub's link. I used the tuffy stuff, the lining between tyre and tube, living in a place where the locals loved to smash glass. Went from 2 flats a week to none in a year. Friends reckon the slime works well too, I chose the other option on weight, less than half.)
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Ayoob » Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:41:12

Thankfully I have a steel framed bicycle to ride, but I'm sure my children will appreciate the lightweight nature of these bikes. I have found steel framed bicycles to be so enjoyable to ride that I'm not looking forward to any other materials. One of my best friends gave me a steel framed road bike years ago that belonged to his father in law. It was an absolute joy to ride. Whoever stole it from me... I hope you got a couple of good rides out of it. It was thousands of $ new.

My more modern bike was about $700, but I very much enjoy taking it out for a spin. More and more I use it for trips to the store. If I'm going to Costco I take my gas guzzling SUV, but it's just not practical to haul eight cases of soy milk home on a bicycle when Costco is four miles away.

Today I'll be loading up on frozen berries, plain yogurt, and almond milk to make smoothies. That's a car trip. The funny thing is that I wind up driving so much less than I used to. I doubt I've driven a thousand miles in the last year. What a change from the 25K+ miles I racked up every single year when I lived in LA.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 24 Oct 2012, 01:50:01

SeaGypsy wrote:Rattan dressed steel.
Can you imagine attaching a pedal to a crank made of this stuff?
ImageI bet it is a cardboard dressed steel crank. :lol:
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 20:06:26

I find it dissapointing little or no progress n five years.

Meet the inventor of the world’s first cardboard bike

Nobody believed it would work, but an Israeli cycling enthusiast thought otherwise.

Izhar Gafni is crazy about bikes – he makes them, fixes them and rides them. But three engineer friends thought the chain had really slipped from the gears when Gafni suggested crafting a cheap and environmentally friendly bicycle out of cardboard.

He had been inspired while working in California on a pomegranate project, and one day saw a car outside a bicycle shop sporting a wood-frame boat with a cardboard cover.

Gafni started testing and building, refusing to accept the engineers’ opinion that the project would never work. Israelis, he reminded them, “did impossible things with agriculture, with military, with high-tech and science. I thought, if they can do it, I can do it.”

Gafni has built six prototypes of 100 percent recyclable materials, 95% percent of it strong cardboard. He sees it as a possible urban environmental project or perhaps as a mode of transportation for schoolchildren in Africa. He is hoping the worldwide publicity for his project will win his cardboard bikes corporate or governmental sponsors.

https://www.israel21c.org/meet-the-inve ... oard-bike/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby sparky » Sun 26 Feb 2017, 20:51:15

This sound like a feel-good story about being green

China made bicycles for the same price ,tens of millions of them
all over Asia one could see guy moving mountain of stuff on them
they were rugged enough to carry more than two hundred pounds over bad ground

the Vietcong used them on the Ho chi min trail , one bike could carry more weigh than an elephant

Africa was flooded by the "swallow" and other brands , much to the satisfaction of their customers
they were ugly but indestructible and when you spend some of your scare cash , that's a prime concern

http://feigebike.en.made-in-china.com/p ... -050-.html
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Peaku22 » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 00:08:39

I think the cardboard bike looks interesting. However, people would still choose China-made bicycles since it comes at the same price or maybe even cheaper.
Peaku22
Wood
Wood

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 13:46:38

Peaku22 wrote:I think the cardboard bike looks interesting. However, people would still choose China-made bicycles since it comes at the same price or maybe even cheaper.

Seahorse posted that as a joke I think. He was deep into peak oil zealotry when he did the OP, he was one of the gang that vanished when it turned out that advocating the idea was just a quick way to identify the economically challenged.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Energy Technology