PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The death of suburbia

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Moderator: Pops

Re: The death of suburbia

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 08:58:39

asg70 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I was objecting to the use of Latin phrases as means to imply that the poster was better educated or more intelligent then the readers.

The one Latin phrase PStarr knows more than any other is ad hominem.

Yes but he doesn't understand that it is a bad thing to do. :razz:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 18:28:34

vtsnowedin wrote:Well you had an excellent education then. I remember diagramming sentences. subject , predicate , conjunction , verbs etc. in sixth grade but the emphasis was on math and history, multiplying and dividing fractions and such. But that was a full fifty years ago and I hardly remember some of the things I wasn't paying all that much attention to on the day it was presented.

It was a regular education. Search online and you will find several handouts for teaching Greek and Latin roots in primary school and fallacies in high school. BTW, math and history are still taught, together with others. If there is anything that is rarely taught, it's diagramming.
http://sites.google.com/site/peakoilreports/
ralfy
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 04:21:31

ralfy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Well you had an excellent education then. I remember diagramming sentences. subject , predicate , conjunction , verbs etc. in sixth grade but the emphasis was on math and history, multiplying and dividing fractions and such. But that was a full fifty years ago and I hardly remember some of the things I wasn't paying all that much attention to on the day it was presented.

It was a regular education. Search online and you will find several handouts for teaching Greek and Latin roots in primary school and fallacies in high school. BTW, math and history are still taught, together with others. If there is anything that is rarely taught, it's diagramming.

But any chance were your teachers nuns?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:58:27

vtsnowedin wrote:But any chance were your teachers nuns?

Regular teachers.

You should probably consider the point that it was your education that was exceptional.
ralfy
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 21 Jun 2017, 23:16:00

ralfy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:But any chance were your teachers nuns?

Regular teachers.

You should probably consider the point that it was your education that was exceptional.

I Have to think that mine was quite good by present standards but not exceptional compared to what was in the best American schools then. My wife's, on the other hand, was in Catholic schools where most of the teachers were Nuns. She can be a grammar Nazi or a great spelling dictionary when needed but knows almost nothing about math and science and absolutely nothing about current events and political history. You can not have a very nuanced view of a topic if you have never had the topic placed in front of you and never had to think about t.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 08:36:27

vtsnowedin wrote: I Have to think that mine was quite good by present standards but not exceptional compared to what was in the best American schools then. My wife's, on the other hand, was in Catholic schools where most of the teachers were Nuns. She can be a grammar Nazi or a great spelling dictionary when needed but knows almost nothing about math and science and absolutely nothing about current events and political history. You can not have a very nuanced view of a topic if you have never had the topic placed in front of you and never had to think about t.

Logical fallacies, etc., are usually taught as part of reading and writing argumentative essays in high school, as well as debate. Sometimes, Latin terms are mentioned.

Given that, I have no idea why you think the use of Latin phrases involves Catholic schools or knowing nothing about math, science, etc.
ralfy
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 14:54:25

Does anyone here honestly belive the powers that be would refuse to amend zoning codes if necessary to keep subeurbs viable? That is the crux of the issue, if a suburb needs walkable access to groceries and sundry other consumer goods. There are folks claimning people would let all that valuable real estate become ghost town rather than amend a simple building code to permit a selected block every mile or two be repurposed for commercial use.

I have no faith in the basic smarts of government officials, but in this case the home owners and their bankers woukd all be pressuring government officials to make the necessary code changes. Even dunces in local government want to keep their jobs, and angering bankers and residents is not the method to achieve that goal.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fission
Fission

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 16:08:04

Sub, I just don't see that there is a problem. Here in the Silicon Valley, a group of investors buy up a square block of houses, then replace it with a small mall. There is usually at least one large store - a major brand grocery/pharmacy/bakery, or a Target store, or a WalMart, or a Lowes/Home Depot, and a half-block of small retail stores, restaurants, and professional/medical/dental offices and of course a multi-story parking spiral.

Thus our formerly high density suburbs (believe me, small postage-stamp lots) are transformed into integrated neighborhoods, with shopping every few blocks. It would have been hard to live here without a car when I moved here in 1986, now it's easy.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby baha » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 19:41:35

You are right KJ, change is happening. Suburbia is not dead, it is changed.

This is growing up about 12 miles from me.
http://chathampark.com/

Right now it is a Forest on the Haw river. I used to camp there. Soon it will be the new Research Triangle Park (They ran out of room). But it will be different from that as well. It will be denser and walkable with multi-use areas throughout. And nice parks and walks by the river. It was controversial and I will miss the woods but it is a responsible next step.
A Solar fuel spill is otherwise known as a sunny day!
The energy density of a tank of FF's doesn't matter if it's empty.
baha
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 16:27:38

Retail Apocalypse Engulfs US Economy
According to Credit Suisse, 20-25% of US shopping malls will shut down within the next five years. While this is due to a paradigm shift in how people do their shopping, not just an overall reduction in retail sales, it will send shudders and close shutters throughout real-estate-based retail economy, having a huge impact on construction, land sales, banking, jobs, etc.

vt, you can always shop somewhere else.
Lots of other shopping opportunities. Who needs malls?
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 17:21:22

Now, now that's not fair they are all shopping online which explains
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-2 ... 6-year-low
Largest East Coast Pipeline Reveals Demand For Gasoline Is Crashing
“When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.”
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 23 Jun 2017, 17:31:00

onlooker wrote:Now, now that's not fair they are all shopping online which explains
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-2 ... 6-year-low
Largest East Coast Pipeline Reveals Demand For Gasoline Is Crashing

One sane comment after the article

Thought Processor wrote:The gist of it is that as things get sqeezed and energy becomes harder to produce, the economy itself slows over time. This is deflationary not inflationary. As a result prices decline and or become increasingly volitile.

Peak Oil was about peak production not prices. Another way to explain it- when the production of a barrel of oil requires more than a barrel of oil in net energy cost then the returns on producing oil have fully diminished. Prices may ramp short term but over the long term high energy prices slow the economy, resulting in less energy demand and downward pricing pressure.
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby aldente » Sat 24 Jun 2017, 01:36:15

dolanbaker wrote:
pstarr wrote:
aldente wrote:what do you mean, or - what do you want to provoke with that comment, Pstarr?

..if I may ask--- just out of couriousity??

Didn't vt suggest I've had illicit sexual relations as a child with a member of the priesthood? Or did I misread the comment?

I think he is just implying that the priest was a paedophile, not that you were in a relationship with him.
A large number of paedophile priests have been "outed" recently so he is just extending an assumption.

pstarr is the best.. while one might be used to flying cars - there is always the conservative point of view..

aldente
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance