Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby pstarr » Wed 04 Apr 2007, 19:01:26

And I don't mean the hydrocarbons leaking from the Signal Hill oil field. Check out this article April 4 American Association of Petroleum Geologists convention. I'd love to know who prompted this reporter to emit this gaseous nonsence.

Peak production levels, estimated to reach 950 million barrels daily, are expected to last between 20 and 30 years before gradually tapering off, giving economies across the globe a final window of opportunity to begin transitioning to alternative energy sources or face increasingly fierce competition for the fossil fuel, authorities said at the annual American Association of Petroleum Geologists convention in Long Beach.
What authorities? You'd have to call me anonyous or worse if I said anything that stupid.

An unintentional typo like this at a daily newspaper is virtually unheard of. This particular newspaper covers Long Beach (where oil is king) and one would expect petroleum-industry articles to be particularly reputable given the knowledgable local audiance. Wouldn't one? This figure is an outright lie.

The Press Telegram needs to be called to the carpet for what appears to be at worst intentional peak-oil debunking propanda, or at best negligent editorial performance.

The rest of the article is a virtually meaningless and unreadable list of bizarre and happy techtopian spin fluffy ideas. what gives?
Haven't you heard? I'm a doomer!
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster
 
Posts: 26117
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain

Re: A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby Twilight » Wed 04 Apr 2007, 19:13:55

I think that extra zero is a typo. A peak in 2020 at 95 mb/d puts it into standard EIA/etc territory. Still unreasonably optimistic, but no surprise.
Twilight
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Fri 02 Mar 2007, 03:00:00

Re: A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Wed 04 Apr 2007, 19:15:26

Wow… I’d be ashamed to be a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologist. What a bunch of tools, Peak Oil is 2015 at the latest.

950 million barrels per day for 20-30 Years!!!

Do the math.
ColossalContrarian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Tue 20 Jun 2006, 02:00:00

Re: A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 04 Apr 2007, 19:24:45

pstarr wrote:...An unintentional typo like this at a daily newspaper is virtually unheard of. This particular newspaper covers Long Beach (where oil is king) and one would expect petroleum-industry articles to be particularly reputable given the knowledgable local audiance. Wouldn't one? This figure is an outright lie.

Nah. Newspapers publish corrections to mistakes almost every day.

The Press Telegram needs to be called to the carpet for what appears to be at worst intentional peak-oil debunking propanda, or at best negligent editorial performance.

Best negligent, for sure. No homework was done in the preparation of this story. What a mess.

The rest of the article is a virtually meaningless and unreadable list of bizarre and happy techtopian spin fluffy ideas. What gives?

I worked part-time for the P-T for years when I was a kid. My dad had an executive position with them for 14 years until he retired. It's a hokey little minor-league paper. We dropped our subscription long ago. I consider it to be a throw-away. This kind of foolishness is typical of it.

By the way, what was this? :

The estimation comes in the wake of a global conference held last November in Colorado, where petroleum geologists representing every oil-producing region of the world predicted mankind's remaining oil supplies.


Anybody know about this? Was it talked about on these forums at all?
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
User avatar
Zardoz
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 6323
Joined: Fri 02 Dec 2005, 03:00:00
Location: Oil-addicted Southern Californucopia

Re: A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 14:24:56

pstarr wrote:And I don't mean the hydrocarbons leaking from the Signal Hill oil field. Check out this article April 4 American Association of Petroleum Geologists convention. I'd love to know who prompted this reporter to emit this gaseous nonsence.

Peak production levels, estimated to reach 950 million barrels daily, are expected to last between 20 and 30 years before gradually tapering off, giving economies across the globe a final window of opportunity to begin transitioning to alternative energy sources or face increasingly fierce competition for the fossil fuel, authorities said at the annual American Association of Petroleum Geologists convention in Long Beach.
What authorities? You'd have to call me anonyous or worse if I said anything that stupid.

An unintentional typo like this at a daily newspaper is virtually unheard of. This particular newspaper covers Long Beach (where oil is king) and one would expect petroleum-industry articles to be particularly reputable given the knowledgable local audiance. Wouldn't one? This figure is an outright lie.

The Press Telegram needs to be called to the carpet for what appears to be at worst intentional peak-oil debunking propanda, or at best negligent editorial performance.

The rest of the article is a virtually meaningless and unreadable list of bizarre and happy techtopian spin fluffy ideas. what gives?


Other than the typo, apparently what gives is that the meaningless and happy turned out to be true, and pessimists and herd think left coasters busy looking for their next bong hit were more coherent prior to another decade of bong hits. Nowadays pstarr you write like a 12 year old who only knows text speak and is high on their ADHD meds, what has happened? Your complaint and writing in this post was, while just as incorrect as anything else you post, written in a lucid manner.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: A acrid smell from LONG BEACH

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 18 Jun 2017, 14:28:57

ColossalContrarian wrote:Wow… I’d be ashamed to be a member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologist. What a bunch of tools, Peak Oil is 2015 at the latest.

950 million barrels per day for 20-30 Years!!!

Do the math.


AAPG didn't do the screwup, left coast newspapers did. Don't blame geologists for ignorant reporters.

And don't forget, Long Beach was also where the world was introduced to the USGS's more recent world estimates, a discussion avoided around here nowadays because, you know, after all the bashing they took off the old estimates, when it turned out they had been right all along...well...peakers can't discuss that. It would be...honest.

This is the one that the ETP folks didn't use....because..you know...when you need to create specific results, you sure don't want information that will screw up your predetermined conclusions!

http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/docum ... schenk.pdf
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 2813
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26


Return to Peak Oil Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vtsnowedin and 14 guests