Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Depression

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Depression

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 06:18:38

At one time I was keeping a list of folks I knew who committed suicide. Finally put it aside, too long and depressing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 06:30:28

depression is like drowning in oneself , bad stuff ,it creep on you , keep out for the Black Dog
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 09:44:03

Well sometimes things which happen a lot happen to the right person & the butterfly effect kicks in. In this case, i have months worth of call logs, right up to spelling out exactly what this guy was going to do. Risk a random life to take his own. Yet he was allowed to keep driving, with untreated severe mental health issues. I'm most interested in both my two year old nephew, who will be living with my separated but close wife, her twin who is the widow, at 25 months not talking- & with the truck driver.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news/ho ... n/3184565/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/pa ... -disorders
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Paulo1 » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 09:57:40

Great comment Sunweb, and all the rest of them.

I also think thast depression increases when people feel they have no control of their lives. A few weeks ago my son was angry and depressed, etc....and I told him that with his skills he was only limited by his imagination and failure to act, that he could take control of his life by making a decision of change and seeing where it led.

He quit his job, took on another and contracts on the side. Back to his old self...... and of course I seldom see him which is what a parent does, you raise them to move up and away as adults. I hope it lasts.
Paulo1
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:35:56

sparky wrote:.
depression is like drowning in oneself , bad stuff ,it creep on you , keep out for the Black Dog

Black Dog, isn't that what Teddy Roosevelt called it?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:41:20

Developing a plan for major changes in your life is prudent.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 14:32:54

SG, I am sorry for your loss. Although suicide has not troubled my immediate family, I had to deal with it twice in the work group I was managing. Once it was with a coworker that shared many of my hobbies, including nature walks, fishing, 4WD's, and do-it-yourself home maintenance. His Father ate a .45 caliber bullet to the head. He and I both were counseled by HR on managing the effects of this tragedy.

FWIW, dealing with the aftermath of two elderly relatives passing, which I am currently doing, is not easy either.

You can make things better by spending time with his family if he has one, or other younger relatives. Young people lack perspectives to deal with death, and the act of helping others helps you.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 15:48:52

Newfie wrote:At one time I was keeping a list of folks I knew who committed suicide. Finally put it aside, too long and depressing.

A telltale sign of an unhealthy society. I have often thought future societies will be particularly cognizant of the unique pathological propensities of our current time
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 17:07:53

Yes, we are sick society. But then I don't know that we are very different from other societies. All different flavors of sickness. At least we don't throw our Wives alive on their husbands pyre.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 17:22:12

Yes, I guess pathology is in the eyes of the beholder. Hard to pin down. Perhaps, actions that are particularly cruel and inhumane or bizarre/nutty and unreasonable.
Umm, truly a relative term. During the times of Rome, the Gladiator games would probably not be seen as especially cruel by the barbaric communities of that time. And as for strange and unreasonable, I think most of us would not feel comfortable living in prior times
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby sparky » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 19:12:07

the expression "Black dog" is common for severe depressive
Churchill and Chancellor Bismark suffered from it ,like untold others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 02 Jun 2017, 22:54:45

Onlooker,
My understanding is that the gladiator games were unusual, that's why they were entertainment.
More recently hangings always drew a big crowd for the same reason.
It's the mundane, the common, like male circumcision, that is most disturbing if you can see it for what it is.

To go further, what can be more disturbing and ore mundane than the 6:00 news?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 01:50:36

Newfie wrote:It's the mundane, the common, like male circumcision, that is most disturbing if you can see it for what it is.

One way to slow down the spread of HIV??? Not perfect by any means but circumcision does seem to slow down its spread.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 09:21:35

For the past 5,000 or so years? It's male genital mutilation.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:09:22

There definitely seems to be some real physiological origins to depression but I would guess our modern society that so often tends to isolate individuals aggravates and exasperates depression. The other thing is that we have lived a couple generations of an opulence that permits people to over examine their lives which tends to lead to obsessions and food fetishes and an inability to cope when things don't go their way. There is this message out there that you can have it all and that you deserve it, a self entitlement that leaves a lot of lonely people asking themselves, why don't I get what I want?

When you live with low expectations you have a greater acceptance of imperfection, the focus tends to be off yourself and more focused on the tasks at hand and loved ones. Those statistics that show that owning and caring for a dog or cat can reduce depression comes to mind.

A society that tends to get everything it wants tends to suffer from higher rates of suicide.

Our species does poorly with opulence. We become indolent, depressed, obese, addictive and mediocre.

We do best when we have to lean up against limits and challenges in our environment.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 03 Jun 2017, 13:43:36

There is suppose to be a genetic basis for many of these psychological ailments.

I didn't have it in my family line, but my wife's latin friends have been afflicted with it.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aldente » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 03:01:09

This is hitting home - so sorry - but before we put this all to a rest - do you have any explanation for the event?

You were very clear that your brother in law "killed himself"-

which begs the questions:

1. was it indeed a suicide
2. if so, can it be linked to any form of depression (which I am sure there is a universe full of variants)

?
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 04:23:08

aldente wrote:This is hitting home - so sorry - but before we put this all to a rest - do you have any explanation for the event?

You were very clear that your brother in law "killed himself"-

which begs the questions:

1. was it indeed a suicide
2. if so, can it be linked to any form of depression (which I am sure there is a universe full of variants)

?

The guy met his wife, my wife's identical twin, through me about 4 years ago. They married with her pregnant, the boy is 26 months old now & can't talk, appears to have severe ADHD. The guy borrowed a lot of money, bought a house in the Philippines & planned to live there. He did everything i told him not to do, bought a house, a car, got the girl pregnant. I cut him off & had nothing to do with him for the next 2 years.

By February this year, his psychosis had become evident. His wife took the child to my wife's home in Melbourne, he sent piles of very scary texts, photos of suicide attempt, threats galore. Against all advice she returned to him with their child a month before he died.

During the last week of his life, i spent hours on the phone to community mental health & police, repeatedly warning them if nothing was done, this guy was going to suicide by driving his car into a truck. That is what happened last Wednesday morning.

On Friday, I found out the police were planning to write it up as an accident. I made sure they can't do that. The truck driver has all four limbs broken, spinal injuries, may lose his legs.

My brother in law is a dead asshole.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Revi » Mon 05 Jun 2017, 09:17:59

So sorry to hear this SeaGypsy. People can wreak a lot of havoc in other people's lives with their mental illness.
Hang in there.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion