Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Budget eliminates NASA and NOAA Earthsat Monitoring

Re: Flying Blind Into The Storm

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 26 May 2017, 17:50:04

I'm copying a post from a different forum I belong to because it seems relevant here. As cruisers we rely upon what we call GRIB files to predict the weather. GRIB is a presentation format, the model that generates it is something else. GFS is the US weather model.

GFS model is currently only correct 25 percent of the time
If anyone has anyone been looking at the weather in the last few days for the NW Caribbean., they will have noticed that the GFS model tried to forecast a fairly aggressive low developing just north of the Bay Islands, Honduras producing 30 knot E to NE winds to the north of the low, they have since withdrawn from this forecast and fallen in line with ESE winds along with everyone else

Both Chris Parker and Crown weather did not believe it and ignored it in their forecasts

Then I received an email from Crown weather - See extract below

Crown Weather Services
Issued: Monday, May 22, 2017 12:05 pm EDT/11:05 am CDT

Verification statistics reveal that the GFS model currently has a 25 percent verification rate, which means that the model is currently only correct 25 percent of the time.

On the other hand, the European model guidance has a current 75 percent verification rate, which means the European model has more credence and believability right now.

Keep this in mind when looking at the GFS model guidance.

As far as I know, a lot of the internet weather package use the GFS model
i.e Passage Weather, Wind Guru, Windyty, Zygrib to name but a few

Question

If the GFS model is so inaccurate at the moment, can anyone suggest other internet weather products which either

Allow you to select the model

or

Are based on models other than the GFS?

Another poster linked to this NY Times article that discussed the sad shape of the USA weather prediction service and why. There are a lot of likely targets here including the unions the workers belong to. Can't blame this on Trump. Yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/maga ... .html?_r=1
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate