Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Miocene Anthropocene Future

Re: Shifts to permanently wetter, warmer conditions

Unread postby Synapsid » Sat 27 Dec 2014, 17:42:32

Alaska_geo,

I've been wondering about the pipeline from the North Slope to Katmai, for LNG. First, I've never noticed a State buying into such a project, as Alaska has--have you?

My second wondering, though, is whether that LNG project is going to work at all. Everybody and his Airedale has been getting permits for LNG terminals on the west coast of Canada, and there are a few in the lower 48 (Cheniere on the Gulf Coast and one in Maryland, I believe, for starters) and the starry eyes are on East Asia, especially Japan and South Korea. LNG prices have dropped a long way in that region, and China's demand will, at the very least, slow in growth when the Russian pipelines come on line some years from now. A wild guess of mine is that one out of four, or fewer, of those LNG projects will actually make it to completion because the market won't be there.

Well anyway, do you expect the North Slope / Katmai project to make economic sense?
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Shifts to permanently wetter, warmer conditions

Unread postby Graeme » Mon 05 Jan 2015, 17:07:07

UK had hottest and fourth wettest year in 2014

The UK experienced its hottest ever year in 2014, provisional data shows.

The average temperature across the last twelve months was 9.9C, beating the 2006 record of 9.7C, the Met Office has revealed. Eight of the UK’s top ten warmest years have occurred since 2002.

Having kicked off with wintry storms and widespread flooding in January and February, 2014 was also the fourth wettest year on record.

“This is clear evidence of the impact of man-made climate change on the UK,” said Bob Ward, policy and communications director at LSE’s Grantham Research Institute.

Yet British citizens are largely unaware of their exposure to climate change, he warned, accusing the government of “a colossal failure” in communication.

An assessment by independent government advisors the Committee on Climate Change found most people living on floodplains do not believe they are at risk of flooding, for example.

rtcc
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Miocene Anthropocene Future

Unread postby Subjectivist » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 21:31:13

dohboi wrote:
The Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum, a transient global warming event, is characterized by extensive evidence of a more active hydrological cycle.

This includes a widespread pulse of kaolinite accumulation on continental margins, viewed as the by-product of either enhanced chemical weathering consistent with much more humid conditions and/or increased erosion of previously deposited laterites. … the latter might be indicative of extreme seasonal precipitation patterns.

To assess these hypotheses, we present a new high-resolution clay mineral assemblage and oxygen isotope record …. This finding points to accelerated exhumation and erosion of kaolinitic soils, most likely Cretaceous laterites.

doi: 10.1130/G32785.1 v. 40 no. 7 p. 591-594

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/40/7/591.short
"Clay assemblage and oxygen isotopic constraints on the weathering response to the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum, east coast of North America"

A hard rain gonna fall!

(Thanks to hank at RC for this link.)

After all the rain here in Ohio the last month it sure feels like a different climate. I think it is just another stuck weather trough like we had in March 2012 when we broke hundreds of high temperature readings all month long, but if someone has a better answer my eyes are reading.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 13:08:47

Here is what the persistent rainfall pattern of June did in my region,

Fort Wayne, Indiana: Record wettest month (11.98 inches); previous record wet month was 11.00 inches in July 1986.
Illinois: Record wettest June statewide, topping the previous record from 1902.
James River near Springfield, Missouri: Record crest (22.2 feet) on June 16, just over 2 inches above the previous 1909 record.
Port Huron, Michigan: Record wet June (7.86 inches); previous record (7.46 inches) was in 1962.
St. Louis: Record wet June (13.14 inches); previous record (12.35 inches) was in 2003; second wettest month behind August 1946 (14.78 inches)
Warren, Ohio: Record wet June (13.27 inches); previous record (10.78 inches) was in 1896
http://www.weather.com/news/news/june-records-heat-rain-2015

Is this the Anthropocene? Give me 30 years of consistency and the answer would be maybe.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 02 Jul 2015, 13:24:15

S wrote: "just another stuck weather trough"

The increasing frequency and persistence of such 'troughs' may indeed be a result of the GW driven 'new normal' (though actually, there will be no stable new 'normal' for a good long while a systems will continue to evolve/degrade/collapse).

Prof. J. Francis from Rutgers has written and spoken extensively about this.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/0 ... e-weather/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 05 Nov 2016, 11:58:04

Just stumbled over this report which I believe is relevant to this topic.

Miocene Climate Weather
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 02:41:45

A piece in rs reflecting on 410 ppm carbon levels, last seen in the Miocene

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/04/26/ ... ion-years/

These levels now correspond with the Miocene Climate Epoch when seas were 120 to 190 feet higher than today and when global temperatures ranged from 3 to 5 degrees Celsius hotter than preindustrial averages.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby sparky » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 06:21:33

And where exactly is the problem ?
win some , loose some
things change for whatever reason ,the secret of life was ,is and will be ......Adapt
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:05:41

sparky wrote:.
And where exactly is the problem ?
win some , loose some
things change for whatever reason ,the secret of life was ,is and will be ......Adapt

You need to buy a clue, ASAP. Where are you going to get your food from? Do you think it grows
at supermarkets. Then, what are you going to do when the oceans become anoxic and start
spewing CH4 into the atmosphere along with HCN. Your smug post shows you are assuming
that changes will be small and that BAU will live on. Such thinking is not based on any facts
but on delusion.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 14:31:47

dissident wrote: Such thinking is not based on any facts
but on delusion.

Hold on a minute. For this to be true we would need to see evidence, and I mean concrete evidence, that some form of meaningful mitigation is happening. Barring that then adaptation to the consequences we are creating IS the strategy by default and not a delusion. Or?
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:02:26

No it's not binary. Impossible to adapt, impossible to mitigate, it's game over.

There is no rule that states there must be a default positive outcome. Sometimes it's just too late.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:24:43

You just need to take a blue pill, it is marketed as MSM.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:32:52

During the Miocene life flourished ,in fact that's when the Apes diversified into hominidaes
sea life in particular was rich and diverse with the emergence of most whales famillies

If one want to speak of global ecological disaster , fair enough but the Miocene is certainly a wrong example
try something else
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:41:25

The Miocene was a period when CO2 was decreasing and the planet was cooling with increasing diversity and a flourishing biosphere.

You are correct, the Miocene is the wrong comparison for where we are headed. There will be no flourishing biosphere.

The Permian-Triassic boundary is where we are headed.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby sparky » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 16:55:09

Aah ...yes !!
that's serious kill zone , the mother of all extinction event
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 18:01:32

sparky,

About the Miocene as a reference for us:

The difference to be kept in mind is that back then, in those balmy times, there weren't 7.4 billion humans on the planet, all dependent on agriculture.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 18:36:47

Cid_Yama wrote:No it's not binary. Impossible to adapt, impossible to mitigate, it's game over.

There is no rule that states there must be a default positive outcome. Sometimes it's just too late.

Seems you are the one engaged in binary thinking, now good climate change extinction.

There are a wide range of possible futures despite what you may wish.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby clif » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 23:52:19

None of those future contain BAU nor 7.5+ billion humans living happily ever after.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 00:57:52

Cid_Yama wrote:
The Permian-Triassic boundary is where we are headed.

We're currently putting about 3 ppm of of CO2 into the atmosphere each year. At current rates it will take another 300-500 years to get to the CO2 levels seen at the P-T extinction event.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 28 Apr 2017, 06:15:11

clif wrote:None of those future contain BAU nor 7.5+ billion humans living happily ever after.

Straw man much? Never have I ever said the future is so bright I gotta wear shades. That doesn't mean the future is so dark there is no hope and everyone is going to die either.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate