Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Re: THE Oceans & Seas Thread pt 3

Unread postby dissident » Sun 19 Mar 2017, 14:31:33

dohboi wrote:I posted this in the Antarctic thread, but since the result is massive sea level rise, possibly in our lifetimes (excluding octogenarians and older, perhaps), it should probably go here as well:

http://www.climatecodered.org/2017/01/a ... multi.html

The Amundsen Sea sector of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet has most likely been destabilized and ice retreat is unstoppable for the current conditions.
No further acceleration in climate change is necessary to trigger the collapse of the rest of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, with loss of a significant fraction on a decadal to century time scale.
Antarctica has the potential to contribute more than a metre of sea-level rise by 2100.
A large fraction of West Antarctic basin ice could be gone within two centuries, causing a 3–5 metre sea level rise.

It is looking more and more like 2 meters by 2100 is wildly optimistic. We are going to see well over 2 meters by 2100. I think 3+ meters is likely. Hansen's paper on the subject points to the nonlinearity of the melt process. This is always important to keep in mind. Humans make implicit linearizing assumptions when trying to understand problems. This is just our biology and is the simplest initial approximation approach to modeling. The human brain is a model creation engine even if we do not consciously perceive it.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Sun 19 Mar 2017, 15:19:24

dissident wrote:It is looking more and more like 2 meters by 2100 is wildly optimistic. We are going to see well over 2 meters by 2100. I think 3+ meters is likely. Hansen's paper on the subject points to the nonlinearity of the melt process. This is always important to keep in mind. Humans make implicit linearizing assumptions when trying to understand problems. This is just our biology and is the simplest initial approximation approach to modeling. The human brain is a model creation engine even if we do not consciously perceive it.

Doom! 8O 8O 8O
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 20 Mar 2017, 15:59:19

Sea level rise: Miami and Atlantic city fight to stay above water – video:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... ater-video
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 17:45:30

Warmer ocean waters and increased acidification act together to dissolve the shells of some sea creatures.

The warmer waters make the creatures change their body chemistry, adding more magnesium, which then predisposes them to being dissolved by acidic waters. “They were trying to grow but were dissolving at the same time” – a pretty sad image.

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-canary-ke ... ature.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 22:09:36

This lead be to wonder what Ibon is doing with his Florida properties these days:

Rising sea levels on the US East coast are already increasing flood insurance premiums which in turn depress property values.

Those coastal properties will be valueless once the banks see the writing on the wall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/maga ... embed&_r=0

...A “hundred-year flood” sounds like a factor of time, as if the land were expected to flood only once every 100 years, but what it’s really meant to express is risk — the land has a 1 percent chance of flooding each year. As waters rise, though, flooding in low-lying places without sea walls, like Larchmont-Edgewater, will become more and more common until the presence of water is less about chance and more about certainty.

And few insurers are willing to bet against a certainty.

Nice touch of understatement there, I thought.

... As storm damage becomes more costly, it has left the N.F.I.P. tens of billions of dollars in debt and federal officials scrambling to bridge the divide between the rapidly growing expense of insuring these properties and the comparatively tiny, taxpayer-subsidized premiums that support it.

And again...why are we subsidizing this idiocy???
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 22:19:50

Because we are collective idiots.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 22:32:39

And here's the rub:

Staton married and left Norfolk, renting out her house as she followed her husband’s job in the military. But eventually she was paying nearly $6,000 in flood premiums on top of her mortgage every year, nearly always more than she could make in rent. “I decided to cut my losses and get out,” she said. “The flood insurance kept going up, and I was drowning in it.” A real estate agent she consulted told her that she’d be lucky to sell the house for $180,000, barely more than half of what she paid for it and significantly less than what she still owed on the mortgage. Everyone looking at places near the river, the agent said, asked about flood insurance first.

It wasn’t the risk of high waters that spooked buyers; it was the certainty of high premiums.

In 1998, “repetitive-loss properties,” buildings that flood over and over, accounted for 2 percent of N.F.I.P.’s insured properties but 40 percent of its losses; since then, such losses have only increased.

2016, when there were floods in Louisiana, Texas, Virginia and elsewhere, managed to be the third-most-expensive year in the N.F.I.P.’s history [after Katrina and Sandy] even with no single standout catastrophe

... $1.1 trillion in property assets along the Eastern Seaboard lie within the path of a hundred-year storm surge.

“That’s a very staggering number,” says AIR’s chief research officer, Jayanta Guin — and it represents only the risk on that coast, and only under current sea levels.

By the 2030s...annual losses from storm surges in coastal areas around the world could double.

...Sean Becketti, the chief economist for Freddie Mac, cautioned in a report last year that economists aren’t sure if coastal property values will decline gradually, as the life expectancy of homes shrinks, or precipitously, “the first time a lender refuses to make a mortgage on a nearby house or an insurer refuses to issue a homeowner’s policy.”

Wetlands Watch compared the number of people on the FEMA waiting list in Norfolk with the number of houses raised in a year, and concluded that it would take 188 years to complete them all.

By then, of course, waters would be far higher.

This is the hardest reality to discuss, Stiles said, and a reason flood insurance is serving as a kind of advance scout into a more difficult future.

When you go out to the end of the century, some of these neighborhoods don’t exist, so it’s hard to get community engagement,” he said. “Nobody wants to talk beyond where the dragons are on the map, into uncharted territory.”
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 22:37:01

And then there's:
Sea level rise could send U.S. ‘climate migrants’ fleeing to Austin, Atlanta

Sea level rise is typically thought of as a coastal problem, with cities from New York to San Francisco pondering new coastal defenses such as sea walls and sturdier buildings.

However, by making large swaths of the U.S. shoreline uninhabitable by the end of this century, sea level rise could reverberate far inland, too. In fact, every single U.S. state will be affected by climate change-induced sea level rise, a new study found..

If the global average sea level rises by 1.8 meters, or nearly 6 feet, by 2100 — which is well within the mainstream projections from recent studies — 13.1 million Americans could migrate away from coastal areas during this time period, according to research published Monday in the journal Nature Climate Change

http://mashable.com/2017/04/17/sea-leve ... rRvomkOiqn
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 14:15:04

Dohboi,
This insurance message is not new. It's been coming out of the WEF global risk assessment for a few years. Munich RE has been out front. For. While Lloyds was denying CC risks but they got onboard a couple of years ago also.

At a WED symposium a Munich RE representative talked clearly about how the insurance industry can not cover the anticipated losses and how responsible governments realize that in this new risk environment they, the governments, are the "insurer of last resort." I think that is what you are describing, the insurance industry is pushing the risk into the public sector.

Eventually the increased premiums will start to starve the economy and will become a political topic. But likely far too late.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 15:41:49

Yeah, we've had earlier discussions on this. I think people here were talking about this likely consequence, though, long before anything like it hit the MSM.

So I like to see how the MSM starts to cover it as it is actually unfolding. Of course, it would have been much more responsible for them to cover it before it was at our doorstep, so to speak, so that more people could have started making rational decisions about where to settle earlier (assuming rationality really comes into play in such decisions, in the short term, at first).

I think most people just looked at the official slr projections, which until quite recently was one meter by century end at most. Now that the meter figure is more of a mininum floor, and that some areas are already seeing consequences, it has become more real, of course. But I think few fully figured out that the economic consequences were likely to far predate the actual physical ones.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dissident » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 16:35:39

dohboi wrote:Warmer ocean waters and increased acidification act together to dissolve the shells of some sea creatures.

The warmer waters make the creatures change their body chemistry, adding more magnesium, which then predisposes them to being dissolved by acidic waters. “They were trying to grow but were dissolving at the same time” – a pretty sad image.

https://phys.org/news/2017-04-canary-ke ... ature.html

As I keep harping on, the biotic chemistry of the ocean surface layer is the big unknown monster associated with AGW. CO2 does not create ocean anoxia. Changes in biotic activity do. From all that I can tell about, the atmospheric CO2 will be converted into CH4 and released back into the atmosphere in a fast, anoxic carbon cycle trapped near the surface. Forget about clathrate melt. That is another bomb waiting to go off.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 19:53:22

Dohboi,

MSM and SLR and insurance. What makes you think they will ever cover it? Maybe a few local color shots about some poor folks tradgedy, especially if some kids die. But I don't think you will ever see any kind of MSM coverage, it's just not something that fits the 15 second sound bite format. It's not entertaining.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 16:57:10

Newf
?

I just posted something from MSM about slr and insurance, so I guess they are already covering it. :) :)

(First you tell me that it's not new, and when I point out that it's new that it's in the media, you say it never will be in the media!!?? Maybe I should just give up posting here? :cry: )

dis--interesting. I hadn't heard that chemistry before. Why would cabonic acid come back into the atmosphere as CH4? Do you have a link on that? (And please don't tell cid about this! :-D :-D )

And now there's a story in Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... homeowners

The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners:

Demand and financing could collapse before the sea consumes a single house

The effects of climate-driven price drops could ripple across the economy, and eventually force the federal government to decide what is owed to people whose home values are ruined by climate change...

“Nobody thinks it’s coming as fast as it is,” said Dan Kipnis, the chairman of Miami Beach’s Marine and Waterfront Protection Authority, who has been trying to find a buyer for his home in Miami Beach for almost a year, and has already lowered his asking price twice.

Ibon, Ibon, calling all Ibons!!! :? :? :shock: :shock: 8O 8O 8) 8) :| :|
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dissident » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 18:25:52

dohboi wrote:Newf
?

I just posted something from MSM about slr and insurance, so I guess they are already covering it. :) :)

(First you tell me that it's not new, and when I point out that it's new that it's in the media, you say it never will be in the media!!?? Maybe I should just give up posting here? :cry: )

dis--interesting. I hadn't heard that chemistry before. Why would cabonic acid come back into the atmosphere as CH4? Do you have a link on that? (And please don't tell cid about this! :-D :-D )

CO2 contributes to the mass of biota in the ocean surface layer via phytoplankton, algae, etc. growth. Due to anoxic conditions at the base of the increasingly shallow oxic layer, more CH4 (and CO2) is produced from the decomposition of dead biota. The type of bacteria that operate in anoxic zones and remineralize detritus tend to generate CH4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanogen
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 19:05:40

Dohboi,

Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't consider Bloomberg MSM. Now if you had something from Entertainment Tonight.... 8O

But thanks for the Bloomberg link, there is a parallel discussion goin on at another forum I frequent.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 22:46:32

thnx, dis

newf...sounds like we have a different def of MSM

And that's fine :) :) :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 18:18:13

http://www.theinertia.com/environment/a ... g-by-2030/
A Horrifying New Study Found that the Ocean is on its Way to Suffocating by 2030
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 20:03:59

onlooker wrote:http://www.theinertia.com/environment/a-horrifying-new-study-found-that-the-ocean-is-on-its-way-to-suffocating-by-2030/
A Horrifying New Study Found that the Ocean is on its Way to Suffocating by 2030

Yet one more piece of evidence. I expect that by 2040 there will be a large increase in CH4 emissions from the oceans that is not related to the cryosphere. This will put warming in overdrive relatively fast and no amount of adaptation and policy changes is going to save humanity's sorry arrogant ass.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 27 Apr 2017, 02:28:04

dissident wrote:
onlooker wrote:http://www.theinertia.com/environment/a-horrifying-new-study-found-that-the-ocean-is-on-its-way-to-suffocating-by-2030/

Yet one more piece of evidence. I expect that by 2040 there will be a large increase in CH4 emissions from the oceans that is not related to the cryosphere. This will put warming in overdrive relatively fast and no amount of adaptation and policy changes is going to save humanity's sorry arrogant ass.

You Dissident are someone with the expertise to put this into context, even if it is depressing
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate