Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

Unread postby diemos » Sat 15 Apr 2017, 11:36:01

Hawkcreek wrote:If you believe that United acted properly in this, you should show your support by flying the friendly skies.

I do and will. United Airlines has always been good to me. Not that air travel doesn't suck. In the 965,000 flight miles I've logged with United I've had any number of flights canceled or delayed due to all sorts of mechanical, weather or crew availability issues. But United has always gotten me where I was going ... eventually. Sometimes they even let me ride up front for free!

I'll share what my 965,000 flight miles have taught me about surviving air travel.
1. Never carry anything in your hands. Check your bag and have a single carry on you can carry on your shoulder. Don't check anything irreplaceable.
2. There is a system. Go to your Zen place and cooperate with it. Have faith that you will ... eventually ... reach your destination.
3. Do not bet your life on a scheduled arrival time. If it's critical add an extra travel day. You will get to your destination ... eventually ... but you cannot count on published schedules being met. Shit happens.
4. There is a pecking order amongst passengers. Make sure the UAL central billing computer knows and loves you because it will be deciding your fate. If you're a schlub with no frequent flyer number and an ultra discount ticket, you are cattle. Expect all the shit to fall on you.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: The Desperate Airline Tactics Thread (merged)

Unread postby ralfy » Mon 17 Apr 2017, 03:01:00

Some notable points here and in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQweMrDgkAA

That is, the need to make sure that all seats are filled (and coupled with issues concerning rebooking, refunds, etc.) and any differences between denied boarding and being forced to deplane.
ralfy
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency