Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The FT & commenters think Peak oil is finished

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: The FT & commenters think Peak oil is finished

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 14:42:48

AdamB wrote:
Cog wrote:I see no lack of happy motoring anywhere I travel. Perhaps those who can't afford fuel at its current price are living somewhere I have not been yet. Or perhaps they only exist in pstarr's head.

I've got 5 cross country road trips planned between beginning of May and end of July. I will investigate small towns, big megalopolis, maybe 25% of the states in the L48, and will look about for anyone who is stranded by the side of the road, not being able to afford the low prices. Might even buy them 5 gallons to get them started again, it costing a measly $10 or so, a good donation so someone can get back to civilization or the next interstate stop where they can get some cheap fuel on their own dime.

This summer I'm thinking historical visits to the Rathbone well in WV, some Texas oil fields and windfarm fields (need a photo of a pumpjack and nice big windmill behind it for future presentations involving energy and the revolution allowing EVs to save the world), maybe a tour of the corvette factory to see obsolete manufacturing in action, and real estate options along the Atlantic seaboard for retirement. But at all points in time, I will have an eye out for people who can't afford the cheap fuels, sitting alongside the road, wondering what to do.

You won't find people that can't afford $29 oil in the United States or sitting beside the road anywhere in the world. They don't own a car and keep walking or live in the slums and barrios of cities like Calcutta, Cairo, Lima and Rio-De-Janeiro. They are the 800 million or so people that are living on less then $2.00 a day.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 16:25:35

vtsnowedin wrote:You won't find people that can't afford $29 oil in the United States or sitting beside the road anywhere in the world. They don't own a car and keep walking or live in the slums and barrios of cities like Calcutta, Cairo, Lima and Rio-De-Janeiro. They are the 800 million or so people that are living on less then $2.00 a day.

Well this is...GOOD! If they aren't using it, and can't afford to use it even when it is as cheap as peak oil caused it to be, then we don't have to worry about the glut going away anytime soon! Without new consumers coming online anytime soon (they sure aren't going to be lifted out of poverty by taxpayer funds funneled through the State Department) then the rest of the world can enjoy jet skiing, flying around the world on vacations, ocean cruises and SUVs and whatnot!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 16:36:14

As usual, the truth is between both extremes. In other words, peak oil has been delayed, not completely debunked. How long it's been delayed remains to be seen, but there are other related trends that are likely to blunt its impact when it bites, so that delay is most welcome.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby sparky » Tue 18 Apr 2017, 06:37:48

To deny peak oil is like denying that a ball launched upward will keep on rising and never fall back
( yes , I know , some smart arse will mention escape velocity )
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion