Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil and kids

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Fri 10 Mar 2017, 20:25:36

KaiserJeep wrote:You wimps want to check out because we are running short of energy, the environment is sick, and Trump won the election. You haven't even got a good excuse for angst, let alone depression.


I tend to agree. Most of their suffering is from social isolation, primarily caused by the same machine they are using to reach out with.
Most could be helped by becoming joiners - volunteer orgs, homeless shelter hash slingers, hospital bed pan cleaners, etc.
It is hard to see the world going by two by two, and know you are going back to your keyboard alone.
So like my parents used to tell me --- get the hell out of your room, and go play outside.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 03:09:58

Hawkcreek wrote:
KaiserJeep wrote:You wimps want to check out because we are running short of energy, the environment is sick, and Trump won the election. You haven't even got a good excuse for angst, let alone depression.


I tend to agree. Most of their suffering is from social isolation, primarily caused by the same machine they are using to reach out with.
Most could be helped by becoming joiners - volunteer orgs, homeless shelter hash slingers, hospital bed pan cleaners, etc.
It is hard to see the world going by two by two, and know you are going back to your keyboard alone.
So like my parents used to tell me --- get the hell out of your room, and go play outside.


I totally agree as well. This is why I sometimes suggest that hell is not where we are heading but what we will leave behind. Angst and depression bloom when the body is unengaged and the mind is left to worry and chase dark shadows. Modern cyber culture promised connectivity but gave us isolation, each of us a private king in our cyber castle.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
website: http://www.mounttotumas.com
User avatar
Ibon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5992
Joined: Fri 03 Dec 2004, 03:00:00
Location: Volcan, Panama

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sat 11 Mar 2017, 11:24:27

Ibon wrote:each of us a private king in our cyber castle.

Don't know why, but that phrase rung with me. You have a way with words.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun 15 Aug 2004, 02:00:00
Location: Washington State

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Revi » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 11:51:05

I go easy on kids, because it is such a dark subject. I showed our film to some teenagers, but it really doesn't work for that age group because they aren't that interested in what's going on at that level. I try not to make them sad, because it isn't going to matter that much if they are peak oil aware or not.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 6807
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 13:06:13

Revi wrote:I go easy on kids, because it is such a dark subject. I showed our film to some teenagers, but it really doesn't work for that age group because they aren't that interested in what's going on at that level. I try not to make them sad, because it isn't going to matter that much if they are peak oil aware or not.


Unless you make a big Hollywood style movie like the anti-war movies The Day After or Platoon you don't have a shot at convincing teenagers of much of anything about hard times in the future. Face it, unless they are very unfortunate their parents have done the best they can to provide the necessities of life and hope for a bright future.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
User avatar
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14033
Joined: Thu 28 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: South West shore Lake Erie, OH, USA

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby jesus_of_suburbia » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 14:00:24

I'm in my early 30's. Times are probably objectively more difficult than when my parents were this age in terms of debt, upward mobility, home ownership, salary increase, the environment etc., but I never knew what that time was like. It's all kind of relative. We tend to normalize are situations rather quickly. I don't harbor any resentment towards my parents. You could make the same argument that having a child with the specter of nuclear holocaust during the Cold War was unfair and unethical.

My take is that it is what it is. Maybe I'll die of disease or starvation. Maybe I won't. Life is temporary, as is suffering. When I die, I envision nothing. I won't have a spiritual eternity to contemplate how crappy or fantastic my physical life was.
jesus_of_suburbia
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011, 00:14:00

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Revi » Thu 16 Mar 2017, 19:36:33

Tanada wrote:
Revi wrote:I go easy on kids, because it is such a dark subject. I showed our film to some teenagers, but it really doesn't work for that age group because they aren't that interested in what's going on at that level. I try not to make them sad, because it isn't going to matter that much if they are peak oil aware or not.


Unless you make a big Hollywood style movie like the anti-war movies The Day After or Platoon you don't have a shot at convincing teenagers of much of anything about hard times in the future. Face it, unless they are very unfortunate their parents have done the best they can to provide the necessities of life and hope for a bright future.


That's for sure! Thanks! Here's a promo for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owUIkQJ_btM
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 6807
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

Re: Peak oil and kids

Unread postby Squilliam » Sat 18 Mar 2017, 16:04:13

The problem with pessimism is that the problems in seen in the windshield always seem bigger and closer than they actually are. The problem with optimism is that people tend to just get used to whatever is happening at the time, and they either think nothing will change or simply get used to whatever changes happen.
To use a keyboard is to be at war.
Squilliam
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu 04 Jul 2013, 00:51:46
Location: Auckland New Zealand

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yoshua and 18 guests