Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Poll, gloom and doom or sunshine and frolic?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

What happens at Peak in geopolitics

USA invades Venezuala successfully
13%
USA invades Mexico successfully
No votes
USA invades Saudi Arabia successfully
16%
USA invades Nigeria successfully
2%
USA is told to back off any or all of the above
69%

Total votes : 45

Re: Poll, gloom and doom or sunshine and frolic?

Unread postby sparky » Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:28:56

China navy would be swept of the sea surface in a month ,
China has one carrier used for training ,and another being planned ..big deal
their submarine drones are more of a worry
the choke point of the Indonesian straits and the Japan /Philippines gap would be the forward battle ,
Atomics are only good to defend one's homeland ,Should China use its strategic nukes ,
it would be De-industrialised back to the First Emperor level
nuclear warfare doesn't target civilians ,
it target strategic military assets followed by the grid ,industries and transport infrastructures ,
the civilians then become a liability for the country
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Tue 28 Feb 2017, 20:15:27

sparky wrote:.
China navy would be swept of the sea surface in a month ,
China has one carrier used for training ,and another being planned ..big deal
their submarine drones are more of a worry
the choke point of the Indonesian straits and the Japan /Philippines gap would be the forward battle ,
Atomics are only good to defend one's homeland ,Should China use its strategic nukes ,
it would be De-industrialised back to the First Emperor level
nuclear warfare doesn't target civilians ,
it target strategic military assets followed by the grid ,industries and transport infrastructures ,
the civilians then become a liability for the country

Uh Huh. So tell us all, what good does it do to send China back to the First Emporer level knowing that they would take the rest of us there with them on the way down?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Wed 01 Mar 2017, 13:14:38

You forgot USA invades Russia. That's the trend, and it has been since some time after the end of the Cold War. Before that there was a stalemate. Everything the USA is doing in the Middle East since then has been aimed eventually at Russia, from its position on Iran to its invasion of Iraq. Originally, in the immediate aftermath of the Cold War, it was believed that the Caspian Sea Region held all the oil that the USA would need to carry out hegemony, via the market based system, through the latter half of the 21st Century. The Caspian didn't pan out. Since that was realized is when Russia became the new target. Oh, and it's not necessarily military invasion that's being sought. It would be enough if they could get them to end Oligarchical rule and join in true open market competition and politics. It's only barring that where invasion becomes a serious topic.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 13:21:38

Many/most countries around the world are still mired in a post-conventional oil peak recession because demand was crushed . . . permentantly by $100 oil.

once again you come up with this complete BS argument. As has been shown countless times global demand has continued to rise as has global GDP. If you break it down by countries there are very few countries where oil demand has decreased and in those countries (as has been explained to you previously) the economic woes have zero to do with oil price (Greece, Italy, Spain all suffered economic problems unrelated to high oil prices).

You seem to live within your own echo chamber on this argument.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 14:28:59

Once again I must needs point out, Europe is NOT THE WORLD.

Europe and North America could stop existing as both producers and consumers of fossil fuels and the Middle East main exporters would still have markets to sell to in Asia and South America and Africa and Australia.

For someone who claims to be so open minded Pete you are horribly Eurocentric/Amercentric in your world view. Europe and North America combined barely contain 1/7th of the world population.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 14:59:36

pstarr wrote:Tanada, if the wealthy countries of Europe can not afford petroleum above $50/barrel than please try to explain how the other 164 countries will keep on. Please do not repeat the tired old saw that European oil-consumption collapse is a consequence of substitution, inefficiencies or electric vehicles

HOW is irrelevant, the fact is they are doing so.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 05 Mar 2017, 17:00:54

pstarr wrote:I noticed a typo, meant to say 'efficiencies'. I guess that one may consider walking, bike riding in the cold and rain, staying at home and moping, or being poverty stricken to be one type of substitution. But not a nice kind.

Seriously, there is scant evidence that electric (or other non-petrol fueled) private vehicles have made substantial inroads in Europe. There has been no significant public-transport systems installed since 2005, and telecommuting has not substantially changed behavior.kind of subsitution.

We do know that Europe, like most of the rest of the world, has been mired in a low-grade Depression for more than a decade, that European debt is not sustainable, will crash those economies sooner rather than later. We do know that this all started around 2005 when oil climbed above $147/barrel. I just join dots is all.

I reckon it is kind of like constellations in the night sky, if you look for stars to connect to shape a swan you can, but you can also shape a bear, or heck a Centaur if that is more to your liking. Truth is, the dots don't actually make shapes, we just arbitrarily try and fit them to the shapes we like or look for.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics