Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Climate Revolution Thread

Re: The Climate Revolution Thread

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 09:02:16

New York’s Assembly passed a bill Wednesday that would require the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions from major sources to zero by 2050. But is that good enough?

When talking about ten year plans for highway construction I have a phrase for the projects listed for the tenth year.
"It is beyond the retirement date of all those in charge and isn't going to happen. "
The above bill looking 34 years out is beyond the Death Date of every voting member and it isn't going to happen and they are just giving lip service to the Greens.
How would you actually achieve the stated goal? Depopulate the state? Replace every "Major source" with five to ten minor ones? Reduce the states economy down to match Zimbabwe's? I'd want to see the plan.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 09:23:09

vtsnowedin wrote:
New York’s Assembly passed a bill Wednesday that would require the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions from major sources to zero by 2050. But is that good enough?

When talking about ten year plans for highway construction I have a phrase for the projects listed for the tenth year.
"It is beyond the retirement date of all those in charge and isn't going to happen. "
The above bill looking 34 years out is beyond the Death Date of every voting member and it isn't going to happen and they are just giving lip service to the Greens.
How would you actually achieve the stated goal? Depopulate the state? Replace every "Major source" with five to ten minor ones? Reduce the states economy down to match Zimbabwe's? I'd want to see the plan.

I think the first step they want to do is shut down the two reactors at Indian Point. Bernie Sanders would like them shut down too! Oh wait, that would increase emissions as the lost power would mostly be replaced with gas generated power. Now I am confused...
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby clif » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 13:52:47

Except this is not a "plan" but a law implementing a set of requirements going forward to .reduce green house gas emissions in New York State. It will be started 180 day from the date of signing by the Governor, and sets up a two year reporting requirement on how each of these requirements are being met. So your dismissive comment of ten years out means you do not know what you are talking about in regards to the ACTUAL LAW.

Show how totally inauthentic your arguments are, it is a LAW and that means has to be enforced.
Like all laws no matter how long ago they were passed, or do you consider the US Constitution no longer relevant because all the guys who personally signed it are long dead.

Ummm, NO. It is a law with interim requirements and a long term goal that is written into the states code of laws. Also a reporting process of actually obeying the law is also written to be followed.

How would you actually achieve the stated goal?

Why don't you take the time to, umm ACTUALLY READ THE LAW, and maybe answers to your questions might be revealed.

Depopulate the state?

No they might have better ideas than you can come up with.

Replace every "Major source" with five to ten minor ones?

Your getting closer, replace fossil fuel sources with renewal ones that do not release CO2 as a major by product pollutant

Reduce the states economy down to match Zimbabwe's?

No, they are actually suggesting doing what is in the law could CREATE jobs.

I'd want to see the plan.

Good use the google and read the law, took me 35 seconds to find it.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 13:58:24

clif wrote:
Show how totally inauthentic your arguments are, it is a LAW and that means has to be enforced.
That is one hell of a set of rose colored glasses you have there Clif.
You should realize that no Legislature can tie the hands of a future Legislature.
When it becomes inconvenient in the future they can and most probably will repeal it just as easily as they passed it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 14:27:28

You should realize that no Legislature can tie the hands of a future Legislature.

Yes they can, they do it all the time. Funds spent, the legal requirements become ingrained as the law goes forward, and the effects wuill be for all to see.

When it becomes inconvenient in the future they can and most probably will repeal it just as easily as they passed it.

Nice rose colored projection you have for things you don't like.

Wanna, bet it gets harder and harder to change the focus on working to mitigate the effects of climate change as those effects become more and more pronounced. But keep claiming it all means nuttin'.

BTW you also FAILED to actually discuss the law itself. It's settled law right now.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 14:41:16

clif wrote:

Yes they can, they do it all the time. Funds spent, the legal requirements become ingrained as the law goes forward, and the effects wuill be for all to see.

Nice rose colored projection you have for things you don't like.

Wanna, bet it gets harder and harder to change the focus on working to mitigate the effects of climate change as those effects become more and more pronounced. But keep claiming it all means nuttin'.

BTW you also FAILED to actually discuss the law itself. It's settled law right now.

Clif my cynicism comes from forty years experience working for and inside state government. You say a law can't be repealed. Of course it can , they do it all the time. I've even seen a state constitutional provision gutted by a foot note in a budjet bill. That one costs me $280 a month so don't try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
And as to your snaky comments about goggling and studying this law I must have missed the memo directing us to conduct a complete debate prep and research before ingaging in a conversation. We are not running for president here and I don't want to lower ourselves to that level. :roll:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 16:43:22

So you want to discuss a law in NYS with your experience in VT, with out actually knowing what the law actually says.

Interesting, have fun with that detachment from reality you posit, but your still mouthing platitudes with out any actual facts.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 16:58:25

clif wrote:So you want to discuss a law in NYS with your experience in VT, with out actually knowing what the law actually says.

Interesting, have fun with that detachment from reality you posit, but your still mouthing platitudes with out any actual facts.
It does not matter what the law actually says because they have no intention of actually doing it. If you are even remotely aware of the corruption scandals surrounding the New York legislature you should appreciate my level of skepticism.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 17:12:32

they have no intention of actually doing it.

You KNOW this how?

A certain planetoid you reach in when you don't know the actual facts?
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby M_B_S » Thu 22 Sep 2016, 08:13:30

https://www.theclimategroup.org/news/clean-revolution

The Earth Broke Another Climate Change Record in August

The last 11 months have been the hottest on record since climate scientists began measuring global average temperatures in 1880. August tied July — which is typically the hottest month of summer — as the warmest month on record, according to NASA.

http://www.businessinsider.de/obama-on- ... ?r=US&IR=T
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 06 Feb 2017, 07:42:09

Feeding the Cats and why a weaker Jet Stream triggered the "Arabic Spring" Revolution.

=> Lesser food for Arabics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_Mau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4WDOrugLk

My Predictions: Near-Term Climate System Mayhem
Paul Beckwith

Yeah Paul is correct so far as we now.

PEAK OIL
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate