Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Can we rate the 3 or 4 most promising of these tech?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Can we rate the 3 or 4 most promising of these tech?

Unread postby slackercruster » Mon 23 Jan 2017, 16:09:27

I had heard a guy in Greece had made a machine that cracks water into hydrogen that is simple and cheap. It was on PBS news (I think), but I could not watch the whole program as I was out the door for work.

I looked for some info here but am overwhelmed on all the various techs. What are the 3 or 4 most promising techs in the Energy Tech section that may replace fossil fuels?
slackercruster
Wood
Wood

Re: Can we rate the 3 or 4 most promising of these tech?

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 23 Jan 2017, 16:39:32

slackercruster wrote:What are the 3 or 4 most promising techs in the Energy Tech section that may replace fossil fuels?

The price of solar and wind have both come down to the point that they are roughly competitive with fossils fuels.

While still in the development stage, IMHO small scale modular nuclear power shows promise.

miniature-modular-nuclear-power-plants-could-be-rolled-out-in-the-us

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby MD » Mon 23 Jan 2017, 17:51:12

algae, which is the driving force behind many future fossil fuel deposits, still holds some promise, but the unpredictability and delicate balance of bloom cycles continue to defy all efforts to manipulate and mechanize the process.

Solar in all its forms has the highest energy density per square meter, after stored hydrocarbons.

After that it's all about batteries and storage.

Sorry for being short on detail, but I just don't give a shit much about educating the masses any more. Figure it out for yourselves and don't bother me with BS. I'm juts a Cynical Old Bastard (COB, in case you didn't notice)
Stop filling dumpsters, as much as you possibly can, and everything will get better.

Just think it through.
It's not hard to do.
MD
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 23 Jan 2017, 23:12:39

Slacker - Easy answer IMHO: find the techs that are being implemented by the dozens if not hundreds. Nothing wrong with tossing around hypotheticals but until the scale AND economic hurdles are met that's all they are...theories.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 24 Jan 2017, 09:38:20

baha wrote:As far as folks doing their own research, I think it is much more valuable when you discover things on your own. If I link an article, I will support my agenda. If someone else does they are supporting theirs. Better to look it up yourself, find articles that argue both sides, and make your own decision.

What I am doing is respecting your ability to make up your own mind. Everything you see here on PO.com should be considered an 'opinion'. The facts may or may not back it up...it's up to you to find out.

Yes and no, if you post no links to anything you are just expounding your own opinion, which is fine but not necessarily very convincing. If you link to blogs or opinion pieces on editorial pages that isn't much of an improvement. If however you link to actual published news sources or scientific papers to support your theories then other people can look at those sources instead of wading through a billion junk opinion pieces on the internet to try and understand how you came to hold your opinions.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Energy Technology