Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Re: Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 14

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:03:58

You do NOT have the right to disrupt threads you don't like. That is a violation of COC.

If you don't like what's being posted here, don't frequent this thread. Very simple.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:25:43

this tiresome circle jerk.

Yet, YOU keep returning to add to it. 8O I wonder why.

I don't go where it appears to me to be a waste of my time, yet you do for some reason ... :mrgreen:
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 13:51:57

This is part 14 of a thread that appears to be over a decade old. At what point will the "Runaway Global Warming" actually become perceptible as an enhancement to the perfectly normal warming trend that the world has been enjoying since the last glacial period?

Then I have an even better question. What possible difference will result if somebody, or several somebodies, or all the PO.com members en masse suddenly cease squabbling and start bowing and scraping to the wisdom of those members who have been making this useless argument for over a decade?

I've thought about it a lot, and I think that the probability of any positive result from this thread is approximately 0.0000001. That would be, any possible positive result other than my own amusement at watching irrational human behaviors.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 05 Jan 2017, 17:20:15

Well, one positive result to the site is...lots more hits!

The env section has almost single handedly kept this site afloat for a while now. Few are interested in PO theories anymore (unfortunately). But most realize that the climate is now changing rather rapidly, like an unmanned tippy canoe on a fast moving river--and that we're heading into very rough rapids at best, or over very high falls more probably.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby dohboi » Wed 11 Jan 2017, 23:57:36

"Draining huge African peatland a threat to climate: study"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/draining-hug ... 30012.html

Extract: "A swampy forest in central Africa the size of England covers previously unknown carbon stocks equivalent to three years' worth of global CO2 emissions, scientists revealed Wednesday.
Draining these peatlands for agriculture, or reduced rainfall due to climate change, would release massive amounts of planet-warming greenhouse gases, they warned in a study published in Nature magazine.

"We found 30 billion tonnes of carbon that nobody knew was there," said Simon Lewis, co-lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Leeds.

"If the Congo Basin peatlands were to be destroyed, it would release billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere," he told AFP."

(such GHG sources are missing from AR5)

As if we didn't already have enough potential and already engaged carbon feedback loops! 8O
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 08:04:35

dohboi wrote:"Draining huge African peatland a threat to climate: study"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/draining-hug ... 30012.html

Extract: "A swampy forest in central Africa the size of England covers previously unknown carbon stocks equivalent to three years' worth of global CO2 emissions, scientists revealed Wednesday.
Draining these peatlands for agriculture, or reduced rainfall due to climate change, would release massive amounts of planet-warming greenhouse gases, they warned in a study published in Nature magazine.

"We found 30 billion tonnes of carbon that nobody knew was there," said Simon Lewis, co-lead author of the study and a professor at the University of Leeds.

"If the Congo Basin peatlands were to be destroyed, it would release billions of tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere," he told AFP."

(such GHG sources are missing from AR5)

As if we didn't already have enough potential and already engaged carbon feedback loops! 8O

Its nothing but a blip on the Radar dohboi. For one it would take much longer than one year to activate all that peat if it is actually there in the first place. Secondly three years worth? Give us three years of BAU and we have already done worse.

This smacks of stretching something that is not a good thing into a disaster of epic proportions. It would be bad to activate all that Carbon stored as peat into CO2 in the atmosphere, but compared to BAU human activities this is such small potatoes as to be irrelevant in the big picture.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kiwichick » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 08:33:45

kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 16:36:48

Pstarr, CID, KJ.....

Clearly you Gus have a difference of opinion, as we all do. And clearly none of you is going to change the others mind, especially by hurling insults.

I/we all get it you don't agree. Leave it at that. Try to concentrate on adding new information please. No good is done by endlessly repeating long held position. Facts, man, facts. That's not an invitation to regurgitate all the old stuff. Keep it fresh. Let the preponderance of evidence make the case.

Otherwise you guys just sound like an out of control family quarrel.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 17:06:50

T, nobody said anything about a "disaster of epic proportions."

As I pointed out, it's just one more carbon feedback, one we don't need.

But yeah, about the same as two or three years of the current BAU.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 12 Jan 2017, 18:08:33

Newfie wrote:Pstarr, CID, KJ.....

Clearly you Gus have a difference of opinion, as we all do. And clearly none of you is going to change the others mind, especially by hurling insults.

I/we all get it you don't agree. Leave it at that. Try to concentrate on adding new information please. No good is done by endlessly repeating long held position. Facts, man, facts. That's not an invitation to regurgitate all the old stuff. Keep it fresh. Let the preponderance of evidence make the case.

My position is brand new. Your position on this thread is regurgitated, now for the 14th time and counting.

I changed . . . was a full on scared of anomalous weather trends 2005 GOM hurricane, 2011 super tornado outbreak, California drought etc. They may be more common, but historical records are vague and incomplete. We'll probably never identify long-ago short-term weather patters. Each weather pattern has been ameliorated back to the norm. So no, runaway global warming has not arrived.

Yeah, I changed in 2015-16 when I knew the California Drought would be over this year. Took bets. Always believed peak oil would trump runaway GW . . . by a long shot.

BTW, Newfie don't you think it is unfair for a moderator to dampen conversation?
There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life,the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs

“Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.”
― Maya Angelou
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:27:35

dohboi wrote:T, nobody said anything about a "disaster of epic proportions."

As I pointed out, it's just one more carbon feedback, one we don't need.

But yeah, about the same as two or three years of the current BAU.

It is the tone of the reporting style dohboi, everything and I do mean everything that happens is hyped to the Nth degree so that now the people are so sick of the boys crying wolf they are not listening at all! Once not more than a decade ago I could talk to people about global warming and get them to listen on occasion. Now the eyes instantly glaze over and it gets dismissed as another leftist scare story. As an environmentalist it really peeves me that the left have so over hyped every event that they have now succeeded in making progress impossible. Gee thanks guys, the blood is on your hands.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 11:44:19

Posts about Peak Demand have been moved to the appropriate thread, please continue that discussion over there.

peak-demand-theory-pt-1-t73097-340.html
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:00:29

Sorry to say I think Tanada has a point. Was it not that way with Peak Oil in 20005 as the sensational end of the world doomer forecasts came and went and the world kept right on going. None of us do anybody a service by predicting. If we are right than others will take the credit, if wrong, credibility is destroyed. It is best to lay out the facts and point to possible scenarios, kind of what the studies and simulations of the seventies in the seminal undertaking by Limits to Growth did.
“None are so blind as those who do not wish to see"
onlooker
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby kiwichick » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:12:01

d has already posted this .....but I think it could be in this thread as well............

https://robertscribbler.com/2017/01/11/ ... ring-2016/

check out the video from Steve Chu......." the S hits the fan "...........
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 16:49:29

T, media in general has been and continues to go down hill on pretty much every front. Where I notice the problems most is in the headlines, which are generally not written by the journalist who wrote the piece and are basically intended as click bate. The articles themselves, of course, are often bad too. But in this case, it said right in the article that it was 3 years worth of emissions. So that wasn't exactly hype.

The fact is that things are indeed much worse than most people realize or want to admit, and of course certain people are always going to dismiss anything having to do with GW. The polarization on the issue has mostly been driven by ALEC the Koch Brothers and other right wing operatives.

Try not to blame 'the left' for everything you see as bad in the world. There's plenty of blame to go around.
dohboi
Master
Master

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 19:54:31

dohboi wrote:T, media in general has been and continues to go down hill on pretty much every front. Where I notice the problems most is in the headlines, which are generally not written by the journalist who wrote the piece and are basically intended as click bate. The articles themselves, of course, are often bad too. But in this case, it said right in the article that it was 3 years worth of emissions. So that wasn't exactly hype.

The fact is that things are indeed much worse than most people realize or want to admit, and of course certain people are always going to dismiss anything having to do with GW. The polarization on the issue has mostly been driven by ALEC the Koch Brothers and other right wing operatives.

Try not to blame 'the left' for everything you see as bad in the world. There's plenty of blame to go around.

So its okay to blame the Koch brothers and ALEC and generic 'right wing operatives' and dismiss the media bungling as being just part of the decline of American media?

Tell you what, name three left wing operatives equal in importance to the three right wing ones you already blamed and perhaps I will take your outrage more seriously.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 13 Jan 2017, 20:03:29

That seems to be the point he was making. There aren't any.

But you all miss the point.

Did you see Rex Tillerson's confirmation hearing? He basically told the Republican Senators to sit down and shut up.

This wasn't about Brown Shirt Republicans vs powerless and disorganized liberals.

TPTB used the Brown Shirts to render the left irrelevant.

The populist far right finds they won nothing, control nothing, as TPTB assert ownership. Talk about used.

There is no more left. And the far right find they are the pawns they have always been. Used and discarded.

The game is now Lords and Peasants. You know the one. The one where you have NO power and they do whatever they want to you and yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VZjT0JE70
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 14 Jan 2017, 12:42:09

Population discussion moved over to the Population thread, please continue that discussion there and leave this thread to Global Warming.

topic73148.html
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kiwichick » Sat 14 Jan 2017, 12:47:49

@ t ...LTG didn't claim the crash was imminent in 1972 .....their prediction was that it was likely in the next 100 years ....if we didn't make significant changes....and of course there have been changes....for example , LED lighting can dramatically reduce energy use

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/led-lighting
kiwichick
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 20 Jan 2017, 19:00:13

NASA, NOAA Data Show 2016 Warmest Year on Record Globally
Another year a new record
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa ... d-globally
“None are so blind as those who do not wish to see"
onlooker
Fusion