Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cities of the Future

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Cities of the Future

Unread postby copious.abundance » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 20:03:51

:)

Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sun 11 Dec 2016, 08:38:27

Got any more military bases????

Here is one in Germany that is being transformed to a mix of commune living with the digital age

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37510322
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby DesuMaiden » Tue 13 Dec 2016, 16:15:31

It depends on where you live. Some parts of the world would fare much better in a post-peak oil/TEOTWAKI situation than others. You got to remember that the whole sewage and water treatment and water distribution system is also dependent on electricity, which in most cases is directly or indirectly created by fossil fuels. The parts of the world that can generate electricity with mininium or no fossil fuels will fare the best because they can still be able to generate the necessary electricity to power their water distribution system. But overall, the population will have to re-ruralize (as in return to the rural areas) rather than urbanize because without fossil fuel based food production/distribution and fossil-fueled based water distribution systems, most cities will need to dramatically shrink in the size of their population. And a larger percentage of the population would need to live in rural areas so that they can be involved in food production related jobs rather than non-food production related jobs in the city.

Although to be quite honest, I somewhat doubt human civilization in any recognizable form is possible in a post-peak oil/TEOTWAKI world. Maybe some scattered tribes of people may continue to live-on in the ruins of industrial civilization, but I think rebuilding civilization is counterproductive to our long-term survival goals because as many people know, civilizations tend not to be sustainable. A new paradigm is necessary for the human race that goes beyond civilization like Daniel Ishamel has mentioned.
History repeats itself. Just everytime with different characters and players.
DesuMaiden
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 13 Dec 2016, 23:53:27

Same old question: where do you find the monies to build enough "cities of the future" to have a meaningful impact if it's taking most of our resources to just maintain our "cities of the past"? Folks are stuck in the existing cities until those future cities are built.

The old "eating your cake and saving it to" predicament.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby penury » Wed 14 Dec 2016, 14:13:27

I mostly agree with Rockman that "money" will be a limiting factor in any rebuilding of cities, I also feel that lack of knowledge, lack of skills and lack of resources will prevent any meaningful redress of the problems. All of the examples shown demonstrate that greater use of no longer available resources, knowledge amd energy would be required to advance into nirvana.
penury
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Zarquon » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 02:43:17

Tanada wrote:Image

But... this is... THE TYRELL CORPORATION!!

Seriously, watch Blade Runner again and you might get a glimpse of future cities. The weather is a bit of a nuisance, but there's good Chinese food on every corner. Complete with flying cars!

(at least for the cops.)
Zarquon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby sidzepp » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 19:44:52

If we want to think about the future, perhaps it is time to improve on the present. Our fossil fuel based economy has allowed the population to increase seven fold in the last two centuries. At some point in time our appetite for consumption will have to decrease in order for us to reach sustainability. We developed a "capitalistic" system of economy 250 years ago and that was based on growth and while there are areas in the world that have small populations, much of the developed world relies on their survival from numerous sources. When you begin to diminish these resources (food and energy) reaching densely populated urban areas, you pose yourself for a quick downward spiral.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... /2048.html

The above chart displays the largest percentage of people employed in the developed world to be in the service sector. The northeast corridor depends on the ability to transport tremendous quantities of food and fuel over long distances. When those necessities are diminished, or worse, cut off, how will you feed and house a population of seventy million and contend with the great number of people who are put out of work. Our current global economy is not built to sustained continual growth and to me it seems irrelevant to discuss the cities of the future when we should be discussing methods to make our current world sustainable without destroying our ability for our species to survive on this planet
sidzepp
Wood
Wood

Unread postby sidzepp » Mon 19 Dec 2016, 21:59:07

The first thing I would do is put a progressive $5.00 a gallon on gas over a ten year period and use the tax money to create public transportation. (I proposed this to my congressman Pete Hoekstra in 1991 and got a nice letter from his aide telling me that there was plenty of oil in the ground and all we had to do was drill in public land and off the Atlantic Seaboard, he entirely missed the point of my letter)
Second, I would find ways stimulate economic stability in the countless small town that are decaying throughout this country and make them more sustainable.
My personal opinion is that the only major policy that can possible save our species in its present state is to adopt a world wide one child policy along the lines of China.
But watching the continued charades of our Commander in Tweet, it is deja vu to the 1980's
sidzepp
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion