Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Shipmap and global finance

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Shipmap and global finance

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Sep 2016, 13:52:13

To all but Dohboi in particular,
Ive got this thing I wanted to share with you and a question.

The below links take you to visualized shipping data. Cool to look at but it brought up a question.

The US is often criticized for our ff use. Looking at the shipping density gave me the idea we are pretty low compared to various other areas. Europe, China, Japan, India. The density of shipping there is intense.

So why does the US have such high figures? I think because we are spread out is a major factor, lots of land transit costs.

BUT (my new thought) is how much of the US ff goes into growing stuff to feed the rest of the world? If we took out exported food stuffs from the US, and attributed it to the consumer states, how different would the numbers look?

I don't know. Just though it was worth asking.

it further, we keep talking about our poor balance of trade. How can that be if the US supplies a considerable portion of the food to the rest of the world? Are we subsidizing other parts of the world? It would seem so.

To go further, I'm pretty sure Western Europe is a net food importer. Yet they are accepting large numbers of refugees who are coming from even worse food situations.

I would like to see a map of the world showing calorie exchange. And another showing famine exchange. From Libia to Italy. For example.

http://gcaptain.com/this-map-perfectly- ... ritimeday/

Shipmap.org
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics