Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is peak oil dead?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Is peak oil dead?

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 14:11:23

Not quite, I am not totally on the side of the Etp crowd who maintain that prices will stay permanently low. I believe in the more general notion that we will have wild swings in price as we have had already. However, I expect the abrupt swings to take place within a generally downward trending price regime as the demand is suppressed permanently because of progressively less energy entering the economic system. At the end of the road though we may have very high priced oil for only a few scattered exclusive buyers.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby ennui2 » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 14:18:50

As long as you don't predict ETP zombies in 4 years, that almost sounds reasonable.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 23 Sep 2016, 14:24:23

ennui2 wrote:As long as you don't predict ETP zombies in 4 years, that almost sounds reasonable.

Thanks Ennui. Reasonable people can debate reasonably haha.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Is Peak Oil dead? Not by a long shot! Remember Ladyfern?

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 02 Dec 2017, 13:39:20

Preface. Oil is finite. Period. Don’t be fooled by news stories that peak oil is dead, or we have reached peak demand. They’re all nonsense. Gail Tverberg at ourfiniteworld.com is especially good at explaining this. Worse yet, what we have left has been and is not being drained as quickly as possible to pay the capital back, and that increases the amount of oil that will be left in the ground forever, which could have been produced with more responsible methods. But the very nature of capitalism is profits now, not 10 years from now. This article makes the case that there are lessons to be learned today from the gigantic 2001 giant Ladyfern natural gas reserves in Northeastern British Columbia. But due to the tragedy of the commons, where too many companies exploited this reservoir too quickly, much less was produced than

Is Peak Oil dead? Not by a long shot! Remember Ladyfern?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Is Peak Oil dead? Not by a long shot! Remember Ladyfern?

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 02 Dec 2017, 13:48:21

Oh this one was a great read!! A blogger with no experience in anything related to geology or oil field engineer referencing another blogger as a keen study of peak oil (having declared it in 2008) with her actuarial skills, and the first comment out of the gate is a riot!

Before alice deletes it I thought I should include it here as an appropriate and thoroughly accurate riposte.

what a wonderful story! It is amazing that one story like this seems to have more power than the other, documented and researched and published by real scientists, as to the direction that known oil and gas reserves move.

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/sir20155091

And of COURSE peak oil isn’t dead, as a matter of fact 2019 is the 100th anniversary of the first documented US peak oil call in 1919!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

The Biggest Factors In Future Oil Production

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 12:21:32

The views expressed in this post are those of the author alone. This assessment is based on the data in the 2017 BP Statistical Review of World Energy available here. As such it uses that review’s definition of oil which is crude and condensate and natural gas liquids, uncompensated for their different energy contents or values of refined product components. (Click to enlarge) Figure 1: World Oil Production 1990 – 2017 This analysis was prompted by a chart by Ovi showing that Non-OPEC production less Russia, Canada and the United States has been in decline since 2004. That decline rate is 0.25 million barrels/day/annum. It had previously risen strongly from 1990. (Click to enlarge) Figure 2: Production Rate Change 2007 – 2016 The United States LTO patch is widely credited with having caused the oil price collapse of 2014. American production had risen by six

The Biggest Factors In Future Oil Production

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The Biggest Factors In Future Oil Production

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 12:22:44

Nice charts showing how easily the peak oilers were fooled by just a hesitation in oil production growth...and undoubtedly one induced by economics. Talk about the keystone cops of oil and gas.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: The Biggest Factors In Future Oil Production

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 12:32:43

AdamB wrote:Nice charts showing how easily the peak oilers were fooled by just a hesitation in oil production growth...and undoubtedly one induced by economics. Talk about the keystone cops of oil and gas.

Or an example of how TPTB are managing to keep the status quo going, far longer and more easily than doomers expect. Especially given that this history doesn't even include forced adaption to scarcity beyond some short term hiccups.

I still say that if we do run into a (real) downslope in production in the next decade or two, THEN you will see some very serious adoption of HEV's in the short term, with a rapid ramp-up in PHEV's and BEV's, since the economics will very quickly strongly favor them.

For example, how expensive would a $50,000 or even $70,000 EV really be compared to an ICE, if gasoline cost north of $10 a gallon, and such EV's had been proven realistically likely to last 3 or 4 decades (with a battery replacement or two)?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby aldente » Thu 28 Dec 2017, 02:21:54

it must have been a stillbirth to begin with ( hence MY personal favorite)
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 14:12:14

Peak oil isn't dead, but it's extremely unpopular. It's about the least popular theory out there. Which doesn't make it untrue, but right now it's about 12 years since it hit it's peak of popularity. It's just old enough to be unfashionable but not old enough to be cool again. In about 8 years it will be a vintage theory, and on it's way to being a golden oldie!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:02:18

^^^^ +1
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aspera » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 15:56:28

Car Sales to Top 90 Million Globally for First Time: Results fueled by rebounds in Western Europe and emerging markets such as Brazil and Russia.

The Wall Street Journal, Jan. 2, 2018 2:17 p.m. ET

Global sales of passenger cars and trucks likely surpassed 90 million for the first time in 2017, the latest indicator that demand for conventional automobiles remains strong even as driverless cars and ride sharing get increasing attention.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/car-sales-to-top-90-million-globally-for-first-time-1514920642

Combine this with discovering less oil and thus producing less oil due to lack of discovery, and what could go wrong...
Oceans rise, empires fall. - Apocalypse Lullaby, Wailin' Jennys.
Plant a garden. Soon.
aspera
Peat
Peat

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 02 Jan 2018, 16:40:38

The premise of the question is bonkers. Oil is a limited resource. So a peaking and subsequent reduction in its production was always a foregone conclusion
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:50:56

harrisonlw wrote:I feel like this thread is long overdue.

Far longer if you happened to be one of the folks who never fell for this particular Rapture event back when peak oil was happening (Thanksgiving Day, 2005 or so).

harrisonlw wrote:Basically, my question is: is peak oil dead?

Not the axiomatic, finite resource, start at zero, peak somewhere sometime, return to zero part. The Rapture part, gold buggery, gardening/permaculture saves the world, solar panels won't stop the mutant zombie bikers from stealing your daughter, yeah, all of that was garbage before, and most have figured that out.

harrisonlw wrote:Going back to the main question, I suspect that most agree that conventional oil production peaked years ago, but that's not what I'm referring to when I talk about peak oil. The focus seems to have shifted from peak supply to peak demand. Is PD more of a threat to oil than PS?

Define conventional oil, because you really don't know what it is, and it is just a cherry picking event by peak oilers anyway to not have to admit that they are both oil and economically ignorant..which caused most of this problem in the first place.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 18:53:07

onlooker wrote:The premise of the question is bonkers. Oil is a limited resource. So a peaking and subsequent reduction in its production was always a foregone conclusion

The only axiomatic part of the entire game. So why all the hysteria about TEOTWAWKI nonsense from BELIEVERS like you? It makes it all creepy, the zealots bringing in the religious aspects of their belief system.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby onlooker » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:15:58

Because we have NOT sufficiently prepared for a post peak oil world. And because the signs are numerous and tangible that our energetic/economic world system is approaching serious disruptions and systemic failures
See Trade Off: Financial system supply-chain cross contagion – a study in global systemic collapse by David Korowicz
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 23:28:08

onlooker wrote:Because we have NOT sufficiently prepared for a post peak oil world. And because the signs are numerous and tangible that our energetic/economic world system is approaching serious disruptions and systemic failures
See Trade Off: Financial system supply-chain cross contagion – a study in global systemic collapse by David Korowicz

David Korowicz. Gee. Another doomer who even has his own website. Yeah, I can imagine why you want to get collapse info from him. :roll:

Is citing mainstream sources against your religion?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 02:22:32

You prefer to get the comforting MSM info, I prefer to get the truth/reality. See my signature
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 12:30:19

onlooker wrote:Because we have NOT sufficiently prepared for a post peak oil world.

Pontificating on a forum with a dozen active posters won't change that.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 04 Jan 2018, 17:03:53

Revi - Lots of butts to kick here but since I consider you a distant compadre I choose to kick your ass. LOL Peak oil is not a theory. It is a statistical parameter. And as such it can neither be alive or dead. The only question to answer is whether we've reached that final global statistical benchmark or not. And as the recent surge in US production proved it might take many decades to prove we've reached global peak oil.

And I don't worry much about how "oil" is defined. I'm a petroleum geologist of 4 decades and not once in all that time have I used a single bbl of crude oil. But I have used a sh*t load of products made from crude oil. And I didn't give a f*ck what the source of that oil was...just like 99.999% of the other consumers out there. All my motor fuel could come from processing fry grease from McDonalds. As long as gasoline is available and at a price I can afford I couldn't care less.

Which is why years ago I pointed out that some metric based on refinery products, such as gasoline and diesel, was the numbers to watch. Not completely unrelated to crude oil production stats but eliminated such arguments as defining or classifying various sources of "oil".

No, peak oil is not dead...it was never alive. somewhere out there (or just right behind us) the global peak oil daily production statistic exists. And that exact date will have little to no bearing on anyone's life compared to all the other aspects of the peak oil dynamic.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion