Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What People Really Think About doom

Re: What People Really Think About doom

Unread postby roccman » Tue 23 Aug 2016, 15:54:33

It’s been a while since I have posted on a thread here. Glad to see the site is still around. When I learned about peak oil, I was pretty far down the “American dream” rabbit hole. Still thought that voting made a difference and still believed in a benevolent “god”. My views in the past 13 years have changed considerably. Spending a number of years here, TOD, LATOC – I learned a lot and spent a lot of time “yelling” about things I really knew nothing about. The more I learned – the more I learned I knew very little.

The one question that continues to gnaw at me – is the same question that has gnawed at man since he crawled out of the cave. And that is – what is the point of this massive expense of energy – how is it that the entirety of existence clanks along just so little ‘ol me can have this experience right now. The earth would be fine without my presence.

From 2003 to 2012 I was the text book prepper – I currently have two fully out fitted properties with bomb shelters – solar electricity and water pumps – enough food and medical supplies to keep myself and family going for a while. Ammo – guns – back ups to back ups. Then I hit a wall. “Doom” was consuming my life. I read most every book written on eating oil, population bomb, infinite growth finite planet, books on plagues – where there is no doctor/dentist, presented at my local city hall, passed out flyers, talked to everyone that would stand still about the coming collapse, about currency collapse, some bug gonna kill everyone overnight, grid failure, emps, Russia gonna do this china gonna do that, dollar going under, get gold/silver, Sharia law lives under your bed…the prez is fucking up our “great” country – Ben is BIS hit man, founding father rolling in grave, DWH gonna turn the oceans to oil, the rothchilds, the jew, the Jesuits, the king of spain…blah blah blah.

It occurred to me from within this doom madness vortex that my answer – “what’s the point of an atom?” was no closer to being answered then when I started this journey. So I started looking elsewhere for an answer and I gave “doom” a rest. That is – “doom” in the material world sense – doom that causes physical suffering – doom that causes civilizations to collapse; children to be abandoned – doom that creates vacuums that are filled with guys or gals that roll out new sets of rules/laws – doom that causes us to lose sleep at night thinking about losing our jobs, not have medicine for our children – food – water – shelter. Doom that causes us to stock up, fortify, and hunker down, gun at the ready for the next boogie man.

Having stopped posting on most all boards I belonged to I focused my energy on looking internally…call it a spiritual awakening and I started reading novels from the masters as well as devoured as much information on different perspectives on cosmology. A cosmology that resonates deeply with me is based in heretical Judaism/Gnosticism. That said – Pierre Sabak wrote a book that I read (very tough read) called the Murder of Reality – worship of the dragon – where he concludes through an extensively detailed etymological study that all religions and languages are based in dragon worship. I also started reading about medicine plants and what people have to say about what lays beyond the veil. I traveled to Peru a number of times. Had my own experiences. Then I got burnt – pretty badly – and I’m not going to get into the details. Let’s just say I had an experience that changed the course of my life forever. The way I see things – where I fit – what is the really big picture. I “saw” something in 20/20 perspective and have spent the last 5 years or so trying to make sense of this experience.

This experience, coupled with reading mastery literature, reading about laws, free will, etc. Seeing the progressive rot of sincerity and quality for the past 10,000 years. I came to the same conclusion that Mani, or Manichaeism, came to…the Cormac McCarthy came to that James Maynard (Front man for the band tool) came to – that we exist in a black iron prison (hat tip – Phillip K Dick) – that we are slaves (rebellious slaves, but slaves nonetheless).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

However, writers like Tolstoy, take this slave concept a bit further – he speaks of an elemental hive or swarm consciousness that we all contribute to in every action we do – from going left or right on a run to selecting to make an apple pie over cherry to waging war. If you want to read his view I have provided a link below:

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/TolstoyWP.html

Coupled with Tolstoy’s view (and he is not the only one that speaks of this hive consciousness – the hive architype is everywhere in architecture – on the dollar bill (from many one), hexagon geometries everywhere) – I have concluded that there are three classes of people in this world. 1) those who know; 2) those who seek to know and 3) those that don’t care to know.

So what exactly is to be known?

I think – the knowing is that we are slaves – not only in this dimension, but others. What do I mean by slaves? I mean we are slaves to ourselves thinking we are free. And because we think we are free we think every action we do in a 24 hour period has no other effect than satisfying our personal drive to “be” free. I think this is the great illusion. What I think is actually going on is each action we are driven (like a herd) to make (coke VS pepsi; ford VS chevy; red VS blue; china VS US; seahawks VS cowboys) contributes to the building of an egregore. Or a malevolent thought form. And unfortunately I think we have been at this “dragon worship” for many thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egregore

Do I think there is a cat’s whisper between Russian and American politics – nope. Do I think Iran and Israel are on the same team – yep. I think of the three classes of people – those that know are .00001% and the other two groups make up the remainder.

What is the end game? I’m not really sure – if you buy into the multiverse makeup of existence (as I do) – this reality is but one slice of bread in the loaf (loaves). My “hope” that the egregore we are creating is confined by some type of galactic/dimensional firewall to other slices of bread – and maybe we are the only slice that have been forsaken. Otherwise – my mind kind of shuts off to think existence in all dimensions – for all benevolent sentient beings – is in dire jeopardy.

Do I think there is something we can do? Yes, but would take a thinker not getting shot in the process and a fundamental mindshift – how many have you convinced that peak oil or overshoot is “real”? not many huh? The prerequisites are too great.

So doom for me has taken on a different perspective as you can see.
"There must be a bogeyman; there always is, and it cannot be something as esoteric as "resource depletion." You can't go to war with that." Emersonbiggins
roccman
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 18:02:37

roccman wrote:It’s been a while since I have posted on a thread here.

Indeed. How did your flight from civilization and collapse go, starting back in October of 2008? Did the electric grid ever fail, down Arizona way? Last I heard the A/C was still going good, funny how collapse got redefined in the interim, isn't it?

roccman wrote:Glad to see the site is still around.

Most others collapsed. Funny, peak oil resulting in more oil produced than ever before, real prices for things like gasoline returned to the levels they were in the early 70's, but the websites claiming doom collapsing instead.

roccman wrote:From 2003 to 2012 I was the text book prepper – I currently have two fully out fitted properties with bomb shelters – solar electricity and water pumps – enough food and medical supplies to keep myself and family going for a while. Ammo – guns – back ups to back ups. Then I hit a wall. “Doom” was consuming my life.

Sounds like you ran into the same problems the doomer sites did. Lack of doom.

roccman wrote:So what exactly is to be known?

Tolstoy didn't know any more about peak oil or doom than websites did?

roccman wrote:Do I think there is something we can do? Yes, but would take a thinker not getting shot in the process and a fundamental mindshift – how many have you convinced that peak oil or overshoot is “real”? not many huh? The prerequisites are too great.

So doom for me has taken on a different perspective as you can see.

Sounds like a lengthy way of saying you admit you were suckered by peak oil (pretty normal really), realized it when you went off the deep end in 2008 and not much happened, can't admit it quite yet, are still searching for your own rapture trigger and have only learned that you can't use a complex, technical industry for it because you don't understand it, and have decided to worship at a different trigger of doom designed around random semantics and a existential internal argument with yourself that is pretty lengthy and perhaps meaningless to the rest of us...and would probably leave Tolstoy stunned speechless at the mangling of his ideas as well.

So yes, quite a different perspective. But at least you now know how little you knew then, so this is learning of some sort or another, which is more than others can say. Enjoy BAU!!!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 18:17:09

roccman wrote:...existence in all dimensions – for all benevolent sentient beings – is in dire jeopardy.

Congrats on coming up with a scenario for a doom that far exceeds all the previous doom-mongering on this site. :lol:

Oh no! All sentient beings in the multiverse are in dire jeopardy!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 19:05:08

What I think about doom is some simply cannot face it and will do all sorts of mental contortions to avoid accepting certain outcomes or consequences. Really Adam it is alot more than peak oil doom we are talking about. The life support systems of this planet are unraveling. This puts all higher life forms at risk. You can either accept that fact and deal with it or not.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 28 Aug 2016, 19:41:47

I think he already voted Not.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate